997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

A weird new trend I've noticed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 03:13 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
A weird new trend I've noticed...

We all love our cars. Some people keep the stock and try not to put so many miles while others spend lots of money into making this cars a unique piece that reflects the owner's taste.
I use some of those owners mods as reference for my own and sometimes I've inspired others to make the changes. I love it. The sharing, the modding!

Now, in few weeks I notices that some of my inspiration guys are selling their rides... after spending LOTS of money into making them unique... and lets face it. This is not money they are going to see a return at the time of sale. SOme of the motivation for the sale is to move up to a GT3 or a Turbo, which I understand while others may be that the car wasn't for them from the beginning... to that part, why invest so much TLC and DIY maintenance and mods?

Here are great examples of people who did amazing things to their car, only to be done with the mods and decide to sell....

Equinox:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-equinox.html

GTRR:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-makeover.html

Djork:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...hotoshoot.html

Justatoy:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ics-today.html

I know they have their reasons and I encourage them to do so for a big upgrade but it really breaks my heart so see a lot of dedication and love put into a car only to be sold at the end. I feel bad that I couldn't pick up a car from them instead of buying my stock black 997 from a dealer in Tampa...

Old 09-15-2012, 03:59 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Well since I made this list....and NOT sure IF it is a good list to be on or not,LOL!

Here goes,
.....in my case,I enjoy modifying the cars WAAAAYYYY more than driving them.Do not get me wrong....I did enjoy driving it occasionally and managed to put the most miles on my car while tweaking the supercharger....but I guess that was part of the modifying aspect!

Some people think that people like myself are nuts for not driving a depreciating asset......but for me,THIS was just my hobby and an expensive one at that,LOL!It was my peace and relaxation at the end of a hard day at work.I also enjoyed putting the process of my mods online for all to see(and there were a lot of threads)....and the compliments were a bonus!SO I guess you could call me an 'Entertainer',LOL! I made some great friends from this forum all over the world and even though I do not have my car anymore,I still keep in touch with many of them!

The most satisfaction I ever felt for my car was the day I sold it and the new owner blasted by me on the highway! The car NEVER looked better in my eyes as I watched it go! The fellow who bought it still thanks me today for selling him such a pristine car,however he apologizes for the fact that he can not maintain it like I did,LOL!

So for that I have NO regrets owning,modifying and selling my car and as you can see by this post.....I still frequent these forums!

Cheers and Happy modding!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 09-15-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
2nd that. Hate Stacy for getting me on the modding wagon lol

This however is probably the last time I will mod a car. I will just buy the best car I can and won't try to make it something that it is not. I actually find mint OE 911s to look the best now.

Here is what mine looks like:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...era-s-cpo.html

Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Holy **** dirty Vegas! sorry I forgot to include you on this list!
this is not a bad guy's list but just a thread about cars that have been an inspiration to many.... I wish I had the opportunity to buy my car from one of you, instead of a dealer!

btw, DirtyVegas, please let me know if you want to sell the carbon fiber dash trim pieces. Those are the only pieces I'm missing in my car!

Old 09-15-2012, 09:32 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I see it too. Many people moddinng their cars and still not satisfied. Unfortunately some people are never satisfied with the exquisite vehicle they purchased and. Seek to make it into something it never will be - something else.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 PM
VM997C4S is infamous around these parts
I think some people reach that point when there is nothing to modify, they become bored with it. Than they move on to the next project, like I did it with M5. Also, I don't think M5 was the car for me like Joel mentioned it, even though for a longest time I thought it was my dream car.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
I could do far more to my car but I won't. I've changed 2 things--added Porsche Design steering wheel with paddles and changed the center muffler to a new Cargraphic unit. Still have the OE parts to swap back when it comes time to sell the car. Both those items will sell easily in the used parts section one day, especially the Cargraphic x-pipe as it has a lifetime warranty.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:14 PM
EV0LVE is a jewel in the roughEV0LVE is a jewel in the roughEV0LVE is a jewel in the rough
This is what enthusiasts do, they get bored after they modified the **** out of their cars. And it's not just here in US, same thing Asia, and Middle East, its probably the same in Europe. When they run out of things to do, they start looking into other cars. Its a mod-bug, and its expensive.

I know people who'll dump an immense (to me) amount of money on a car and then poof, its gone. On to the next project. I can only wish to pick up these done projects.

I on the other end simply gawk at what people do.

Thats what makes this site great, the list of great cars for sale here all the time, most also comes with history forum memebers can attest to.

Cheers!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 AM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
Originally Posted by denversteve
I see it too. Many people moddinng their cars and still not satisfied. Unfortunately some people are never satisfied with the exquisite vehicle they purchased and. Seek to make it into something it never will be - something else.
but it will be... or it is, instamatically.... or it always has been, again...

Old 09-16-2012, 08:58 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
My car isn't as highly modified as others shown here, but I've done some work on it and am in the same boat of considering moving to the next one. But, my take on it is that it has nothing to do with 'getting bored' with it, but rather getting worn out by it.

I've had my GTS for 18 months with 10K miles. It has new Modulare wheels and Michelin tires, added Sharkwerks Bypass pipes, front grill screens, some interior updates and also swapped all lights with LEDs, as well as low/high beam bulbs to 'superwhites'. So, almost $10k in updates (especially when you include the labor charges for some of the work).

And I love to drive it...but I can't stand hearing nothing but the road & tire noise. The PSE with Sharkwerks Bypass sounds great: for everyone else. Even with new tires, the 997 throws a ton of road noise into the cabin.

And all the plastic bits in the car have started to loosen up and rattle entertain me with some random rattles (depending on road surface, etc). About the only time I don't hear all of the nonsense is when I'm on a spirited drive with a lot of curves. But I live in Dallas, TX...and there aren't too many curves that can be enjoyed around here. At All. Everything is straight. This car is at it's best when everything is crooked.

So I've been considering moving on as well. Not sure the 991 will be the choice either. It seems as though it won't get all of the nagging noise and rattles that the 997 gives, but too early to tell. I've spent a lot of time in the last couple of weeks driving the GranTurismo Sport and V8 Vantage. One sounds great, but is rather large and slow-ish. The other sounds great, but needs a refreshed look...and has a crap transmission. Both need better interior electronics. But both also are so much more enjoyable for daily driving in this city.

So...yes, there is somewhat of a trend of modified cars moving on. My take on it is there are many valid reasons why.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:20 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is infamous around these parts
Joel,

Great Thread. I love to see what others have done to their cars. While I bought mine stock as well from a dealer, I have purchased many parts in the classified section. I wish I could have found my car completely customized the way I wanted it, but I will settle for finding the parts at a bargain from someone who stripped their car to sell it stock.

I have had my car for 2 years now and have put on almost 30K miles. I love to mod my car and I love to drive it even more.

Keep up the mods!!!!!!........and then sell them to me when your done, LOL...

Old 09-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Yes, this thread is not a complaint about people's selling their cars, but actually sad that I couldn't get one of those when I bought my stock one... but again, this is an ecosystem where nothing goes to waste. You mod your car, want to sell your car, trying to get back to stock to sell it (since mods may sweeten the deal but never add true value or equity to your car) and people will buy your mods. there. perfect!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
I prefer functional mods which don't take away from the purity of the brand. I like the OEM look, which is classic and understated as it should be. My only disappointment with the 991 is 20 inch wheels. That's a market/trend cave in. Germans are smarter than that. 18" is the ideal wheel size for all aspects of performance.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:15 PM
socalbd has a spectacular aura aboutsocalbd has a spectacular aura about
I don't see it as a negative. I spent years on a classic car I turned into the perfect (for me) version of what it could be (for what it was). At the end it was so nice I couldn't bear to take it in public in case someone might nick it, and I was FAR less excited being done than I was during the process. Afterward, I decided it was the path that was so enjoyable and not the destination. Have to assume it's the same for these great guys.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:38 PM
BklynNY is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Steve997S
I prefer functional mods which don't take away from the purity of the brand. I like the OEM look, which is classic and understated as it should be. My only disappointment with the 991 is 20 inch wheels. That's a market/trend cave in. Germans are smarter than that. 18" is the ideal wheel size for all aspects of performance.
You obviously state your opinion about 20" wheels which is great but to state 18" wheels are ideal is that opinion or scientific? You state the Germans are smarter than that, really? You can get large wheels on all the German luxury brands. The 991 is obviously a 911...likely the fastest ever but they have modern comfort features these days and can be driven daily like a GT...therefore capable of supporting 18,19 and yes 20" wheels...I call that smart and progress....90% of the people who drive these cars have no clue as to what they can do performance wise....no let me take that back...many have a clue 90% can't drive to that performance aspect so they don't need or want 18" wheels...the 991 has gotten so large I think it would look strange with 18"s...anyway just my two cents and the reason why Baskin Robbins makes all of those flavors of ice cream...to each is his own...enjoy with whatever size wheel you choose!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A weird new trend I've noticed...