997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

White Smoke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:00 PM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
White Smoke

Just bought the car 6 weeks ago, 42K on it. Fri I noticed a small puff of white smoke after starting. Car sat in driveway until this morning, I started it and a big puff of white smoke came out. Dont know if it makes a difference but the driveway is slopped and car sat with *** end down hill.

I was concerned so I stopped at dealer on way to work, the service manager who has been there since 91' said it was normal and not to worry as long as it didn't smoke while driving or for an extended period of time, that on start it was ok. I think its important to note that the car does not do it all the time and seems to be after it sits - never after repetitive starts.

Is he right? He explained why a Porsche engine is different and how it happens - not so certain I am comfy. It on a 2 yr CPO so I am not oo concerned. Thoughts? Your car smoke on occasion?

Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
white smoke maybe coolant related, it might mean that the coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber, but it may also be the oil separator (common issue)

Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 PM
I mentioned both of those to the service writer, he assured me it was normal. How can coolant leak into the combustion chamber?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:02 AM
kchociej is infamous around these partskchociej is infamous around these parts
I believe the white smoke is just oil being burned up at start up.
If you do a search on 911 smoke start up you'll get a lot of info.

First time it happened to me I was at a restaurant after dinner in the parking lot.
LOT of smoke and everyone was staring at the car.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:49 AM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sixgun95
I mentioned both of those to the service writer, he assured me it was normal. How can coolant leak into the combustion chamber?
Cracked cylinder.

I am not saying that's what you have, white smoke can be tricky. If it has somewhat sweet smell to it, then most likely its coolant related.
Last year I had similar issue (although it was running kind of rough) my mechanic said it was either the injection coils or air oil separator. It turned out to be injections coils.

On the other hand might be nothing serious, its just what she does

Old 09-18-2012, 06:59 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Just bought the car 6 weeks ago, 42K on it. Fri I noticed a small puff of white smoke after starting. Car sat in driveway until this morning, I started it and a big puff of white smoke came out. Dont know if it makes a difference but the driveway is slopped and car sat with *** end down hill.

I was concerned so I stopped at dealer on way to work, the service manager who has been there since 91' said it was normal and not to worry as long as it didn't smoke while driving or for an extended period of time, that on start it was ok. I think its important to note that the car does not do it all the time and seems to be after it sits - never after repetitive starts.

Is he right? He explained why a Porsche engine is different and how it happens - not so certain I am comfy. It on a 2 yr CPO so I am not oo concerned. Thoughts? Your car smoke on occasion?
Smoke on startup not unusual with flat six - oil can't drain into crankcase. Boxer engine in Suburu's do the same thing. Doesn't awlays happen but seems to be more pronounced on starts where shutdown occurs shortly after start like when positioning car for wash, etc.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I had two Mercedes (new) that did that too.... Never turned into an issue. I did notice that it would happen after several very short running cycles of shutting down and starting. Maybe the computer is still adjusting fuel during these cycles. That s what I believe mine was.
I m thinking a cracked cylinder would happen all the time.
Keep an eye on your oil and coolant usage anyway.
I d go with the dealer techs advise. Lets face it, if there was something to FIX they d be all over it...

Old 09-18-2012, 07:05 AM
The service writer sad the cat has an "enriched start", guess that means more more and on short starts (washing) it is very likely to happen on a flat six.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
The service writer sad the cat has an "enriched start", guess that means more more and on short starts (washing) it is very likely to happen on a flat six.

yes, that is what was happening to me. Enriched (meaning more fuel) and that was my smoke because it never used oil or coolant.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
this happened to me one time last year.

i somehow ended up at a hotel in San Diego that only had valet parking.. doh !

when i asked for my car in the late afternoon (few hours elapsed), they pulled it up with a lot of smoke coming from exhaust and the engine compartment.

i was so flabbergasted, i shut the engine off and immediately spoke with valet manager (turns out the hotel hires a valet serv company instead of using their own emplyees) i had the manager document everything, just in case i get problem down the line. Also found out the car was parked at a semi-steep hill for those few hours.

when i re-started, the smoke was gone.. and it never happened again (knock on wood) Now, i do my best to not park my car on steep hill.. since i attributed the smoke to oil sitting in the crankcase or something similar due to the angle of the engine. Damn flat six..lol. I love it !

Old 09-18-2012, 05:26 PM
KIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to allKIRKIN is a name known to all
My 2011 with 6700 miles has done it atleast twice.
Happens when it has sat for a few days.
Very sperattic, no pattern for sure .

Old 09-18-2012, 07:05 PM
brettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to beholdbrettd007 is a splendid one to behold
I always blame it on the angle of the dangle.