997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car broke down on Bay Bridge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:14 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
The pulley failure just might be 'random' and/or was a failure due to the added 'stress' when the new belt was installed. I did my belt a few years ago and to be honest I only checked for bearing looseness on all the idlers. I didn't inspect for cracks and/or fractures. If I recall it's a plastic part and therefore its life might have simply come to an end (albeit prematurely).

FWIW: $400 for a belt change is ridiculous. The belt is less than $50 and the job takes no more than an hour at best.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:09 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Talking To do or not to do...That is the Question

Originally Posted by azqureshi
See U n Rear View I appreciate the sarcasm....I don't know but do you think the life of a pulley should be 60k miles...When you pay the dealer a premium to change a serpentine belt....Is it not there job to do a through check of everything....I've never heard of a pulley disintegrating like that before....
I'm in the same camp. I think that 100k car deserves 100k Service. I not sure of your steps after the failure, but I would contact Livermore and see what they could do for you first. Then, of course if I didn't get satisfaction i would write PNA.

I think that it DID break as a result of more tension but it will be near impossible to prove that it was cracked, or the fault of the mechanic not seeing the cracks, or even that the mechanic inspected it.

Of course, the mechanic will say he checked it...

I think if they give you any Good-Will, with the circumstances you have presented, it would be a blessing.

I took my car in one day and when it came out it had a a small door ding. Well, i just washed the car and Wheels, both inside and out, which required to remove them, so i knew every inch of my vehicle. Although, I did not see it happen, when they saw that in fact i was soo **** that i took off my wheels to wash them, that they at least knew that I would have noticed a dent, after washing only minutes before. They did Give me $150 towards my next service which i shortly used a few weeks later.

Disclaimer: I am only saying what I would do and that these steps will not guarantee you a 2013 911 C2S...