997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car broke down on Bay Bridge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 07:23 PM
azqureshi is infamous around these parts
Car broke down on Bay Bridge

On my way to SFO...I was driving the 997 on the baybridge....First the steering became unresponsive than the battery generator light went off...Since I was on my way to the mechanics I thought I could make it...than the high water temp went off followed by low oil pressure and high oil temperature..
I managed to pullover and got the car parked in a redzone...

Called Porsche and has the car towed to rector Porsche...when the car got dropped off...I saw the serpentine belt hanging down...

About 200 miles ago I took the car to Livermore Porsche and they changed the belt and did an alignment...

My concerns are what are the chances of me getting the shaft from rector...the car has the existing CPO warranty.....

I'm worried about the long term effects...in regards to the overheat and possible cause of failure and damage to existing drive accessories and their shaft alignment...

Old 09-20-2012, 08:08 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Work done by dealer is under warranty. Since it failed, Porsche should cover it. Plus u hv cpo. I would not be concerned.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
That's a horrible place to break down. Since Rector Porsche didn't do the work, they have no obligation to you. It may have simply been a defective belt which, if it was a factory belt, should be covered. CPO won't cover normal wear and tear on: tires, belts, clutch, glass...

Last edited by denversteve; 09-20-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
So you think the belt prob Won't be covered by CPO?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by denversteve
That's a horrible place to break down. Since Rector Porsche didn't do the work, they have no obligation to you. It may have simply been a defective belt which, if it was a factory belt, should be covered. CPO won't cover normal wear and tear on: tires, belts, clutch, glass...
Last time I checked, work done by a Porsche dealer is under a one year warranty for parts and labor at any Porsche dealer. The same is true for other brands.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 AM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
keep us posted...good luck...

Old 09-21-2012, 05:57 AM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Thumbs down Not a Good View From Here...

azqureshi - I am sorry this happened to you on the Bridge of all places and I'm sure it was as embarrassing as it was scary.

I hope Rector will be able to pinpoint the cause of this, and I will hold my opinion until a conclusion is reached.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Tcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to behold
I never noticed a red zone on the Bay Bridge or Trans Bay (not that there may not be one). I guess you made it across, which I suppose would be the bright side! I can't imagine Manni at Livermore mucking up a belt install. If it's not too much trouble let us know how it all worked out.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 AM
hey

Yeah things started going out of whack after the tunnel....I made it off fremont and thought I could make it to the Porsche mechanic...But when the hight water temp and oil pressure lights came on I puller over on front...I'll keep you guys posted...Manni from Livermore was kind of a ****** when I met him he was going off about how a misfire issue I had was possibly related to the headers, cat bypass and mufflers...He went on to ask me about implying my car was chipped... Which it isn't...but anyways he was trying to say my warranty could be voided because of those mods...then they charged me 400 to change the belt and wanted another 1200 to do spark plugs...I'll keep you all posted but I would stay away from Livermore Porsche...

Old 09-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Sorry you had these problems. Hope everything works out to your satisfaction and in your favor.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:27 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Post thanks 4 update

Originally Posted by azqureshi
I'll keep you all posted but I would stay away from Livermore Porsche...
uh oh, that's where I'm going today for test drive...

"I know NNN-Nothing..." Kernle Klink

Old 09-21-2012, 03:29 PM
forbes210 is infamous around these parts
Recently when I was cleaning my air box I've noticed that almost half of serpentine belt was gone and ripped. I found a small rock in one of the wheels which caused the damaged. I was able to find parts of grained belt in a alternator and around pulleys. I was lucky that I've noticed that. Replaced the belt immediately my self. I was a little bit annoyed as I had my car 2 weeks earlier at dealership replacing spark plugs. I'm not sure if that happened after they did it or they didn't noticed that.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:31 AM
culprit

Hector the service manager at rector Porsche was great...they found this pulley to be defective...They said they had never seen anything like this before...It was covered under warranty but I'm going to write PNA about this issue...

Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Question Throwing the Sabo...Hance Possible Sabotage

Do you think the pulley was broken due to, or slightly cracked during the installation of the belt;

Or a more sinister plot was actually emerging...

Like it broke on it's own for no apparent reason; Merely, just it's time to go

Are you writing PNA to complain, that this issue was missed, or that the part is inferior, or one of the scenarios above, or similar...?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 PM
See U n Rear View I appreciate the sarcasm....I don't know but do you think the life of a pulley should be 60k miles...When you pay the dealer a premium to change a serpentine belt....Is it not there job to do a through check of everything....I've never heard of a pulley disintegrating like that before....

I'll probably write PNA to address why this defect wasn't caught a few hundered miles before....After all there should be some type of wear indication....Or maybe Livermore was to lazy to check and just get the car out of there....All in all this type of failure is detreimental....The long term damage could be catastrophic if the belt got caught up around the crankshaft or around another accessory....

Lastly PNA screwed me out of several things that right before the 50k warranty expired....Little things they could have fixed that they knew were wrong but didn't care to and they passed the bill on to me and gave me a measley 800 voucher for 5k worth of expenses....

Last edited by azqureshi; 09-22-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: addition

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car broke down on Bay Bridge