997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My trigger finger is sooooo itchy......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 AM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a standard Carrera with the "S" brakes, and Tip with Sport mode and it's a great performer - the shifting wasn't as dynamic prior to sport mode.

I've driven the "S" and while I agree more power is good, what you pay in the premium for what you get (~20 more horses - LOL), especially pre-owned isn't worth it, but that's me.

I wanted back into another Porsche after owning a 996 that was a complete POS, and went to an E46 M3 that was a total beast - I added a supercharer that yielded 428 RWHP, 320 WTQ, Brembo front 6POT 380MM, rear 4POT, 345mm, KWv2, aftermarket sways, etc., etc. Then I jumped into the 997, far less in overall performance.

Comparisons - I drove an "S" manual and a Tip, and my base Carrera, and all 3 cars fell short in "comparison", but that's not what I got the car for. For driving around town and even light track duty I've enjoyed the car and still do, however, for track junkies there's no substitute for a GT3, so let's get real if you want to "compare" for performance sake, afterall, what are you going to do with the S" on the street - race? Point is - where do you realize the minimal benefits?

I think too many people make way too much over an additional 20 HP because they have the "premium" as standard Carreras are concerned.

Now later on I'll compare the additional 150 HP from boost.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:30 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by leftlane
Car is nicely equipped but not over the top. No navi, some aluminum pieces, sport exhaust, sports chrono. MSRP was an even $100k. I offered $46k cash that day - no go. I said I would be interested if they were willing to work a bit and give me a price that started with a 4 - no callback yet. Car is still for sale, so you never know.

I don't need the car even 1%, so I'm fine with not getting it unless it's a great deal.

Getz - looks like a nice car, but I'm only looking for a cab with CPO. Also, I have zero need for PCCBs and I would want to shoot myself when it came time to replace them due to the cost. Plus - black isn't at the top of my list.

Black lobster claws are the OEM wheel but black centers with silver rims. Looks really good - not sure if it was an option or powdercoated after the fact.
PCCBs are my favorite option, no dust, cheaper than regular brakes given the longevity (if you bought the car used), and kick *** yellow calipers. I had them on my 07 Turbo as well.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:12 PM
kellym is infamous around these parts
A couple of months back I bought basically the identical car, 2005 black 911 S with PCCBs, nav, full leather interior. The ceramic composite brakes have really excellent road feel to them and no dust which is a very nice bonus. While I agree it's outrageously expensive to replace both the rotors and pads with PCCBs, the pads could last something like 100k miles and the rotors the same or more.

Just FYI, I paid $59k Canadian for basically the same car. It had CPO and just under 11,000 miles. Such low mileage that I couldn't resist paying a little more for it. Who could have a car like this and not drive it???