997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Deflated tire from puncture at home- what's the best move?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:36 PM
kchociej is infamous around these partskchociej is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Steve997S
From the Michelin website:

REPAIRS – WHEREVER POSSIBLE, SEE YOUR MICHELIN® TIRE RETAILER AT ONCE
If any MICHELIN® tire sustains a puncture, have the tire demounted and thoroughly inspected by any participating Michelin tire retailer for possible damage that may have occurred. A tread area puncture in any MICHELIN® passenger or light truck tire can be repaired provided that the puncture hole is not more than 1/4” in diameter, not more than one radial cable per casing ply is damaged, and the tire has not been damaged further by the puncturing object or by running underinflated. Tire punctures consistent with these guidelines can be repaired by following the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) recommended repair procedures.
TIRE REPAIRS
Repairs of all tires must be of the combined plug and inside patch type. Your MICHELIN tires (including Michelin PAX SystemTM tires) must be removed from the wheel for inspection prior to repair. Plug-type repairs made on a tire that remains mounted on a wheel are improper. A tire should be removed from the rim and inspected prior to repair. Any tire repair done without removing the tire from the rim is improper. An improperly repaired tire may cause further damage to the tire by either leaking air or allowing air, moisture and contaminants to enter the structure of the tire. An improperly repaired tire can fail suddenly at a later date. Never repair a tire with less than 2/32nds of an inch tread remaining. At this tread depth, the tire is worn out and must be replaced.

Anyone who thinks they know more than Michelin go for it...
That disclaimer is for insurance purposes so people who don't know how to plug/patch a tire won't come back trying to sue them for big bucks.

If you read all disclaimers that Porsche puts out you shouldn't be running after market tires, exhaust, intakes, wheels..etc etc etc

You sound like a guy that needs to get out more!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
A plug is a temporary fix period and not legal in most states for tire shops to even perform anymore.It's a patch or a new tire period!

Old 09-23-2012, 09:16 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
This is truly an amazing thread! I'm impressed that the Tire manufacturer and the Car manufacturer can be so wrong.....who knew????

Tom

Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by djantlive
get a pump for $15 from an auto supply shop (o'reilly, pepboys, autozone). inflate the tire and drive to a tire shop to have it patched. keep an eye on the tire and inflate more if needed on your way to a tire shop.

if the tire is got at least 6-7mm left, it's worth patching it. if it's more worn than that, i would change the pair on the axle.

if you are on the pennisula, i can recommend a good tire shop in redwood city.

dealer won't patch tires as it's against porsche policy to do so. don't go to tires america as they will just upsell you on a new set.
Many thanks as always djantlive and everyone.. The car is still under CPO and tires are new when I purchased it (no more than 800 miles on them). This is not a track car so no concerns about track driving,etc..

As soon as I get back WEDS. I'll pump air into it and to play it safe call Porsche or AAA to tow it via flatbed to my nearest America's Tire (Santa Clara) and have it assessed to be patched or replaced as needed...

Other option is-I'm wondering IF perhaps I should buy a can of those temporary flat sealants and pump that in to seal the leak, then pump it up with some air and drive it to the tire shop (15mins away) would be the easier and better route?

Old 09-23-2012, 09:54 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ
A plug is a temporary fix period and not legal in most states for tire shops to even perform anymore.It's a patch or a new tire period!
I've had those patches a couple of times and I'll never get one again. They require a larger hole in the tire than a plug and I've had serious issues both times because of this where the larger hole has caused the belt to start to come apart/stretch and bulge out. This creates a major wear point that's caused the belt of the tires to fail on both occasions.

Originally Posted by vg247
Other option is-I'm wondering IF perhaps I should buy a can of those temporary flat sealants and pump that in to seal the leak, then pump it up with some air and drive it to the tire shop (15mins away) would be the easier and better route?
You should have a can of the stuff already in the car unless it's already been used since the 997 ships with it from the factory. I see no harm in doing this other than you may get stuck on the side of the road if it doesn't hold air. You can try to fix it and see if it holds air in your driveway, but that's no guarantee it'll hold air when you start driving. I have 3 highly modified cars and tend to run into issues pretty regularly with one or another of them so I have the AAA premium membership just so I can get "free" tow service a few times a year whenever it's easier to get a car towed from my house instead of risking a drive if it's having issues.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:57 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
The extent you go to repair the tire(s) is a judgement call in most cases. Is this nail the same one Steve we originally saw the day you picked the car up, or did you land a new one? If it's the same nail - my advice is to replace both front tires - they are at roughly 40% tread wear.

My take on nails -

Example 1 - Time to buy one new tire.

On my old M3 a few years ago, I had a puncture on a brand new rear tire (less than 400 miles on it). It was a big hole in the center of the tread from a house key! I jacked up the car - removed the wheel and tire and took it to a repair shop. They wouldn't touch it. They said the largest patch kit wouldn't even work with such a large puncture. I called tire rack - and ordered a brand new tire.

Example 2 - Time to buy two new tires.

On my old Volvo V70 T5 I had 40% tread left on the rear tires and received a rear tire puncture in the center of the tread. The hole was large. I removed the tire and took it to a repair shop. The shop said the hole was too big and wouldn't repair it. www.tirerack.com. I replaced both rear tires.

Example 3 - Simple nail ~50%-100% tread wear

The tire is still viable, and the hole can be repaired. Remove the wheel/tire and take to a shop. If this is too much trouble, add air to the tire and carefully drive to the shop. The repair kits available can be done either by yourself or a shop. I've always been impressed with the plug kits the shops used for Z rated tires. The tire must be unmounted for the plug to be installed, thus can't do at home. There are kits for home use as stated in others comments, but I have no experience with these.

Example 4 - Simple nail < 50% tread wear. Hate this. I'd replace the pair in front or back.

Caveats - I don't track my cars. I have never owned a 4WD car - not sure how this affects your decision making process. Above decision tree is based on damage to tread as side wall hole in most case is a full failure and must be replaced because it cannot be repaired.

My $.02.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I've had those patches a couple of times and I'll never get one again. They require a larger hole in the tire than a plug and I've had serious issues both times because of this where the larger hole has caused the belt to start to come apart/stretch and bulge out. This creates a major wear point that's caused the belt of the tires to fail on both occasions.

You should have a can of the stuff already in the car unless it's already been used since the 997 ships with it from the factory. I see no harm in doing this other than you may get stuck on the side of the road if it doesn't hold air. You can try to fix it and see if it holds air in your driveway, but that's no guarantee it'll hold air when you start driving. I have 3 highly modified cars and tend to run into issues pretty regularly with one or another of them so I have the AAA premium membership just so I can get "free" tow service a few times a year whenever it's easier to get a car towed from my house instead of risking a drive if it's having issues.
Good point Teflon - I do have the sealant in my car, totally slipped my mind, thanks...also do have the AAA plus membership

Old 09-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Video

Originally Posted by daberlin
The extent you go to repair the tire(s) is a judgement call in most cases. Is this nail the same one Steve we originally saw the day you picked the car up, or did you land a new one? If it's the same nail - my advice is to replace both front tires - they are at roughly 40% tread wear.

My take on nails -

Example 1 - Time to buy one new tire.

On my old M3 a few years ago, I had a puncture on a brand new rear tire (less than 400 miles on it). It was a big hole in the center of the tread from a house key! I jacked up the car - removed the wheel and tire and took it to a repair shop. They wouldn't touch it. They said the largest patch kit wouldn't even work with such a large puncture. I called tire rack - and ordered a brand new tire.

Example 2 - Time to buy two new tires.

On my old Volvo V70 T5 I had 40% tread left on the rear tires and received a rear tire puncture in the center of the tread. The hole was large. I removed the tire and took it to a repair shop. The shop said the hole was too big and wouldn't repair it. www.tirerack.com. I replaced both rear tires.

Example 3 - Simple nail ~50%-100% tread wear

The tire is still viable, and the hole can be repaired. Remove the wheel/tire and take to a shop. If this is too much trouble, add air to the tire and carefully drive to the shop. The repair kits available can be done either by yourself or a shop. I've always been impressed with the plug kits the shops used for Z rated tires. The tire must be unmounted for the plug to be installed, thus can't do at home. There are kits for home use as stated in others comments, but I have no experience with these.

Example 4 - Simple nail < 50% tread wear. Hate this. I'd replace the pair in front or back.

Caveats - I don't track my cars. I have never owned a 4WD car - not sure how this affects your decision making process. Above decision tree is based on damage to tread as side wall hole in most case is a full failure and must be replaced because it cannot be repaired.

My $.02.
Hey DB- your opinions and feedback are always most valued..thank you!

Lucky me, this is an all new one (not so lucky that if it's not one thing it's another)..right on the rear wheel this time. I'd say this falls into #3, the new set dealer installed in the rears. It's definitely not a a sidewall nail, just slightly off center medially towards interior side.

Looking fwd to getting home and get this resolved ASAP...

Old 09-24-2012, 11:57 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
If the tire is that new your road hazard coverage should take care of it. If not the suggested patch alternative will take care of it quickly and permanently. A nail or screw in the tread area is a simple fix.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by denversteve
If the tire is that new your road hazard coverage should take care of it. If not the suggested patch alternative will take care of it quickly and permanently. A nail or screw in the tread area is a simple fix.
Not sure about road hazard coverage Steve since it was installed already when I got the car from dealer.

Fingers crossed patch works, thank you all!

Old 09-25-2012, 12:34 PM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Steve997S
From the Michelin website:

REPAIRS – WHEREVER POSSIBLE, SEE YOUR MICHELIN® TIRE RETAILER AT ONCE
If any MICHELIN® tire sustains a puncture, have the tire demounted and thoroughly inspected by any participating Michelin tire retailer for possible damage that may have occurred. A tread area puncture in any MICHELIN® passenger or light truck tire can be repaired provided that the puncture hole is not more than 1/4” in diameter, not more than one radial cable per casing ply is damaged, and the tire has not been damaged further by the puncturing object or by running underinflated. Tire punctures consistent with these guidelines can be repaired by following the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) recommended repair procedures.
TIRE REPAIRS
Repairs of all tires must be of the combined plug and inside patch type. Your MICHELIN tires (including Michelin PAX SystemTM tires) must be removed from the wheel for inspection prior to repair. Plug-type repairs made on a tire that remains mounted on a wheel are improper. A tire should be removed from the rim and inspected prior to repair. Any tire repair done without removing the tire from the rim is improper. An improperly repaired tire may cause further damage to the tire by either leaking air or allowing air, moisture and contaminants to enter the structure of the tire. An improperly repaired tire can fail suddenly at a later date. Never repair a tire with less than 2/32nds of an inch tread remaining. At this tread depth, the tire is worn out and must be replaced.

Anyone who thinks they know more than Michelin go for it...
It is not Michelin talking... These are the lawyers paid to protect Michelin.
Same goes with pressure tires. The American market is very peculiar and all tires and cars manufacturers will make sure that your front tires are always less inflated than the rear even on front wheel drive. Just lawyers at work. It has nothing to do with engineering or common sense. Tires pressures recommendations are different in Europe where Lawyers are no so eager.

Yves

Old 09-27-2012, 01:50 AM
Landed today and prior to going to the local Wheelworks, I had to use the sealant compound from the car and compressor to bring it to 44psi as the tire was down flat again.

I've been a long time customer so they took me in right away with an appointment done in 20mins. They dismounted the tire and did a combo patch/plug fix ..short drive home TPMS pressures were holding well. I wont get to drive it far and at high speeds until I return next week (one last long week of work) then I'll finally know the quality of the work, They charged nothing

Old 09-27-2012, 05:48 AM
BLKPPR is infamous around these parts
VG,
Great for you. Great service at your shop. You should give them a shout out here as great service is hard to find. One thing I have started doing when I get either great service or really lousy service is doing an on line review of a shop/store. When you google or bing a business typically there are customer reviews. A lot of people use these reviews to decide who to do business with no different than seller/buyer ratings on ebay. This really helps out small shops and helps keep them running.
BTW I work for a $2.1B auto service and parts provider that tracks online customer comments and reviews every day. They are that important.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by BLKPPR
VG,
Great for you. Great service at your shop. You should give them a shout out here as great service is hard to find. One thing I have started doing when I get either great service or really lousy service is doing an on line review of a shop/store. When you google or bing a business typically there are customer reviews. A lot of people use these reviews to decide who to do business with no different than seller/buyer ratings on ebay. This really helps out small shops and helps keep them running.
BTW I work for a $2.1B auto service and parts provider that tracks online customer comments and reviews every day. They are that important.
+1 Thanks, I typically post on Yelp for our locals when they are seeking info on a business.