997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Deflated tire from puncture at home- what's the best move?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:45 AM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Deflated tire from puncture at home- what's the best move?

So as I'm away from town on business, my GF called to tell me my rear wheel is fully deflated and that she saw a nail right somewhere in the middle of the wheel..as you all can imagine it's bothersome since I can't do anything about it until I get back Weds. Feels like having a child at home that got injured....

What are your thoughts since the car is parked in my garage and these tires are new and the nail as described is in a repairable area: should I call AAA or Porsche ( car still under warranty ) to tow the car to a wheel shop and fix the tire OR should I just call either and have them jack up the car and remove only the wheel, then take it to the shop for repair?

Wanted everyone's thoughts on what the best course of action for this is where my car is "least" handled as I have been having the worst streak of experiences with dealers, and wheel shops where they have done more harm than good ..

Old 09-23-2012, 09:11 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
get a pump for $15 from an auto supply shop (o'reilly, pepboys, autozone). inflate the tire and drive to a tire shop to have it patched. keep an eye on the tire and inflate more if needed on your way to a tire shop.

if the tire is got at least 6-7mm left, it's worth patching it. if it's more worn than that, i would change the pair on the axle.

if you are on the pennisula, i can recommend a good tire shop in redwood city.

dealer won't patch tires as it's against porsche policy to do so. don't go to tires america as they will just upsell you on a new set.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:55 AM
kchociej is infamous around these partskchociej is infamous around these parts
Same exact thing happened to my Toyota Tacoma 2 days ago. A piece of metal the size of a 16 penny nail was stuck in my tire and it was flat when I woke up to drive it.

I swapped the tire with my spare and then patched it up with a repair kit from Autozone.

If I had this happen on my 911, I'd do the same exact thing of putting on the spare but I'd take it to Discount Tire or another tire shop to do the plug/patch.

Not a big deal.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
If it were me I'd use my floor jack, remove the wheel, and replace with a new tire. I've done this once already with a practically new Michelin Pilot SuperSport. No way am I going to risk a blowout, or even being stranded somewhere, for a few hundred dollars. Do it right. Is this a Hyundai forum??

Old 09-23-2012, 01:44 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
I bought a tire patch kit, $10, fixed it myself. Maybe 10 minutes. That was 2 years ago, no issues.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:42 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Steve997S
If it were me I'd use my floor jack, remove the wheel, and replace with a new tire. I've done this once already with a practically new Michelin Pilot SuperSport. No way am I going to risk a blowout, or even being stranded somewhere, for a few hundred dollars. Do it right. Is this a Hyundai forum??
I'm with you Steve!

Tom

Old 09-23-2012, 05:53 PM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
I have always kept a string patch kit with me for over 20 yrs. I have probibly put in 20 to 30 patches.
If you have a nail or screw, not in the sidewall, and its a straight forward hole;
jack up the car, let all the air out of the tire, pull out the object with side cutter pliers. Ream out the whole with the installation tools reamer shaft till its easy to push in and out. apply or dip the string in its glue with the installation tool, push it in the hole till about 1/2 " of the string is still outside, and pull the tool out. ( its harder than it sounds ) Inflate with air.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:17 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by OKB
I have always kept a string patch kit with me for over 20 yrs. I have probibly put in 20 to 30 patches.
If you have a nail or screw, not in the sidewall, and its a straight forward hole;
jack up the car, let all the air out of the tire, pull out the object with side cutter pliers. Ream out the whole with the installation tools reamer shaft till its easy to push in and out. apply or dip the string in its glue with the installation tool, push it in the hole till about 1/2 " of the string is still outside, and pull the tool out. ( its harder than it sounds ) Inflate with air.
+1

I had patches in most (if not all) cars I've owned. Even high end ones. Never had any issues. As stated above if its not in the sidewall, it will outlast any tire.
I would not use patches only in the tires designated for track use.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
From the Michelin website:

REPAIRS – WHEREVER POSSIBLE, SEE YOUR MICHELIN® TIRE RETAILER AT ONCE
If any MICHELIN® tire sustains a puncture, have the tire demounted and thoroughly inspected by any participating Michelin tire retailer for possible damage that may have occurred. A tread area puncture in any MICHELIN® passenger or light truck tire can be repaired provided that the puncture hole is not more than 1/4” in diameter, not more than one radial cable per casing ply is damaged, and the tire has not been damaged further by the puncturing object or by running underinflated. Tire punctures consistent with these guidelines can be repaired by following the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) recommended repair procedures.
TIRE REPAIRS
Repairs of all tires must be of the combined plug and inside patch type. Your MICHELIN tires (including Michelin PAX SystemTM tires) must be removed from the wheel for inspection prior to repair. Plug-type repairs made on a tire that remains mounted on a wheel are improper. A tire should be removed from the rim and inspected prior to repair. Any tire repair done without removing the tire from the rim is improper. An improperly repaired tire may cause further damage to the tire by either leaking air or allowing air, moisture and contaminants to enter the structure of the tire. An improperly repaired tire can fail suddenly at a later date. Never repair a tire with less than 2/32nds of an inch tread remaining. At this tread depth, the tire is worn out and must be replaced.

Anyone who thinks they know more than Michelin go for it...

Last edited by Steve997S; 09-23-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:34 PM
From the Michelin website:

REPAIRS – WHEREVER POSSIBLE, SEE YOUR MICHELIN® TIRE RETAILER AT ONCE
If any MICHELIN® tire sustains a puncture, have the tire demounted and thoroughly inspected by any participating Michelin tire retailer for possible damage that may have occurred. A tread area puncture in any MICHELIN® passenger or light truck tire can be repaired provided that the puncture hole is not more than 1/4” in diameter, not more than one radial cable per casing ply is damaged, and the tire has not been damaged further by the puncturing object or by running underinflated. Tire punctures consistent with these guidelines can be repaired by following the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) recommended repair procedures.
TIRE REPAIRS
Repairs of all tires must be of the combined plug and inside patch type. Your MICHELIN tires (including Michelin PAX SystemTM tires) must be removed from the wheel for inspection prior to repair. Plug-type repairs made on a tire that remains mounted on a wheel are improper. A tire should be removed from the rim and inspected prior to repair. Any tire repair done without removing the tire from the rim is improper. An improperly repaired tire may cause further damage to the tire by either leaking air or allowing air, moisture and contaminants to enter the structure of the tire. An improperly repaired tire can fail suddenly at a later date. Never repair a tire with less than 2/32nds of an inch tread remaining. At this tread depth, the tire is worn out and must be replaced.

Anyone who thinks they know more than Michelin go for it...
This changes everything. Off to Michelin retailer I go. Thanks steve997s

Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Please explain how you can repair with a plug and a patch at the same location and why you would even do that within the tire?LMAO!

Last edited by MYC2SPC; 09-23-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ
Please explain how you can repair with a plug and a patch within the tire?LMAO!
Pleas tell me that's not a serious question

Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 PM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
And for 20 years, Ive been doing it all wrong...

Old 09-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by OKB
And for 20 years, Ive been doing it all wrong...
You must replace all your tires. Just ask your friendly local Michelin retailer

Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Pleas tell me that's not a serious question
Yes it was a serious question! Please explain your reasoning,and the purpose of each that you are aware of?I know well on off-roading to get you back in the game and and what is legal as far as a tire patch and safe on the road!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Deflated tire from puncture at home- what's the best move?