997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New member considering a 997. How are the seats for long hauls?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:30 AM
DallasDave is infamous around these parts
Agree with the others, it's not the seats that are at issue, but the road noise which increases as the tires age and get miles on them on different road surfaces.

I did 5 hours back-to-back one weekend in my .1 with my wife. Ride was great, enough room for the "short" trip, but the road noise at times was incredible.

Here in Dallas, you can be on the road for extended periods due to sprawl and traffic; and I am never fatigued by the interior.

Dave

Old 09-29-2012, 09:04 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
My girlfriend gets motion sick on longer, curvy mountain road drives in my car.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Tcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to behold
Although it may seem obvious, I really think the "Comfort" seats are different than the "Sports Seats", which are different from the "Adaptive Sports Seats", which are different from "Sports Buckets" - they each have their own personalities. For me, the Sports Buckets are great seats but I can only tolerate them for a couple of hours; they are in a car that is not a DD and longest distance I usually drive it is to the track (Laguna, Sears Point, Thunder Hill) so it's not a big deal. The only adjustment on them are fore-aft and I tend to get fidgety (a small pillow slightly above my coccyx alleviates the discomfort). For me (and my 50 y.o back), I'd never get Sports Buckets if I did a lot of long distance driving. I had Sports Seats in another 911 and they were more comfortable for longer trips, say three to four hours or so. They were adjustable fore-aft and height, manually and forward/backward tilt electrically. I had no problem getting and staying comfortable with these limited options. I've read raves about the adaptive sports seats which seem infinitely adjustable and are electrically operated. I test drove a 911 once with comfort seats (for about an hour) and didn't like them due to what I felt was a lack of support. I suspect they are fine seats, particularly for longer trips, but I was used to sports seats and it was hard to get used to them.

Last edited by Tcc1999; 09-29-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 AM
MileHiGolfer is infamous around these parts
Thanks everyone - I definitely need to bring my wife along for a test drive. Sounds like there is a strong possibility that we'd be comfortable enough for a couple of long hauls each year if I get the right seats.

Thinking I'll likely want to avoid the sport seats if they're anything like what we've experienced in other sport seats. In the X3 for example, the sport seat bolsters are really tight and felt like it was squeezing our sides in too much, even with the adjustment let all the way out. I get why you'd want that if you're ripping around a track, but not for daily driving. I'm sure they would have softened up a bit with time, but neither of us liked them and we got the regular ones instead. I'd consider myself a medium build (6'2" 195lbs) and my wife is fairly tall and thin, so it's not like we were pouring out over the sides either. My G37 had sport seats but were at least wide enough on the back between the bolsters to not feel like your kidneys are being squeezed, though they were fairly firm.

Since winter is right around the corner though and my 5 is a great winter car, I'll likely wait until at least the Spring to make a move. Until then, I'll do what every good car guy does, and obsess about 997s, read lots of forums, and browse a zillion cars so that I'll be well informed when the right time comes.

Last edited by MileHiGolfer; 10-01-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:46 PM
micouremo is infamous around these parts
I am amazed at how comfortable the seats are. I used to drive a friends 996 and my back would hurt after 30 minutes. In my 997 I frequently drive over an hour and I'm just as comfortable as I was in my Lexus.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 PM
lordhelemt is infamous around these parts
I love it on the long haul but then again my other ride is a d90.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Steve997S
I did 20 hours straight (only stopping for gas, bio breaks, and a little food) in my '08 997S last year. No issues. I would have been equally fatigued in about anything. The car was rock solid the whole way.
+1 I've done multiple 20hour rides and was very comfortable. First time was from FL to MI, got to Michigan and couldn't believe it. No craps, Nothing, seats were very comfortable.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:55 PM
GIZMOGIRL256 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MileHiGolfer
I'd consider myself a medium build (6'2" 195lbs) and my wife is fairly tall and thin, so it's not like we were pouring out over the sides either.
My '07 C4S is a daily driver and definitely took some getting used to with the road noise. It's amazing the difference my winter tires make...they are much quieter. I have a 25 min commute and have also taken the car from the Chicago area to south Georgia with no issues on long drives. I'm tall (5' 10" and not so thin) and find the seat length is perfect. The legs don't go numb after an hour driving. My husband, on the other hand, doesn't find the seats very comfortable. He's not a big lumbar fan and probably needs to spend some time adjusting the settings. He's around your build and loved his BMW 650i seats, but then he also liked Corvette seats which I loathed!

For marital happiness, it's best that we keep separate cars.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:06 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
My sport seats are very comfortable for about 4 hours max. After that I am ready for a break. My wife says that they aren't very comfortable for any length of ride though. Oh well, it is my car!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:38 AM
Bokchoys is infamous around these parts
Just picked up my car. 6 hour drive from the dealership. Seats were comfy, started to feel a little firm by the end of the drive. But as others said, it's probably the road noise that will get to you more. I found myself turning the stereo up higher then I do in my BMW.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:32 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
Thumbs up +1 on standard electric seats

I routinely clock in 1,000 mile runs to and from various colleges attended by my adult children. At 6'6" and 20 stone, I've never had a comfort issue. Go for it.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Although it may seem obvious, I really think the "Comfort" seats are different than the "Sports Seats", which are different from the "Adaptive Sports Seats", which are different from "Sports Buckets" - they each have their own personalities. For me, the Sports Buckets are great seats but I can only tolerate them for a couple of hours; they are in a car that is not a DD and longest distance I usually drive it is to the track (Laguna, Sears Point, Thunder Hill) so it's not a big deal. The only adjustment on them are fore-aft and I tend to get fidgety (a small pillow slightly above my coccyx alleviates the discomfort). For me (and my 50 y.o back), I'd never get Sports Buckets if I did a lot of long distance driving. I had Sports Seats in another 911 and they were more comfortable for longer trips, say three to four hours or so. They were adjustable fore-aft and height, manually and forward/backward tilt electrically. I had no problem getting and staying comfortable with these limited options. I've read raves about the adaptive sports seats which seem infinitely adjustable and are electrically operated. I test drove a 911 once with comfort seats (for about an hour) and didn't like them due to what I felt was a lack of support. I suspect they are fine seats, particularly for longer trips, but I was used to sports seats and it was hard to get used to them.
Old age is a *****!!!!!

Best,

Tom

Old 10-03-2012, 08:18 AM
MileHiGolfer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MBENZF1
+1 I've done multiple 20hour rides and was very comfortable. First time was from FL to MI, got to Michigan and couldn't believe it. No craps, Nothing, seats were very comfortable.
Might want to start incorporating some fiber into your diet.

Sorry, couldn't resist. That's a serious road trip. Which seats do you have?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Sure would love to become a part of this club!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 AM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MileHiGolfer
Might want to start incorporating some fiber into your diet.

Sorry, couldn't resist. That's a serious road trip. Which seats do you have?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Sure would love to become a part of this club!
LMAO, nice catch. NO CRAMPS!!!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Tcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tommyv
Old age is a *****!!!!!

Best,

Tom
Well, old age has it's up side. A few years ago, listening to an NPR segment on some gathering of 100+ year-olds, the interviewer asked one gentleman what the best thing about being 100+ was; the response was, in a total deadpan tone, "Lack of Peer Pressure!" I sort of like that idea!

-Tim

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New member considering a 997. How are the seats for long hauls?