997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Effective 997 Sound Proofing / Deadening?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 02:46 PM
malahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to behold
I will let everyone know, however, it will not be untill the end of march or so when its warm enough to work out in the garage (not heated).

I have to install a short shifter, install PASM shocks and control unit with all the wires, new audio system and a remote start. So i will have to remove some interior anyway, so its a small step between what i already have to do and taking all of it out for Dynomat.

I like the car allot and i think i will be driving it for a few years as my DD. so its a good investment on my part to spend time and see what i can do to make it a touch more comfy. Im not going to the track so a few extra pounds will not make a difference for me. Im planning on getting lite weight wheels and keep losing the spare tire around my waste. That should compensate

Old 01-21-2015, 11:47 PM
thedips is infamous around these parts
I have an annoying rattle above me and a slight whistle coming from left vent can't seem to figure out

Old 01-22-2015, 11:28 AM
roelricardo is infamous around these parts
Is all about the tires, the size takes all the noises on the road, if you want switch to a 285/60/18 and you will se the difference!!

Other real issue is the engine on the back is inside the cockpit on the 911, same experience on a VW bug, is they're nature!!

Old 01-22-2015, 06:19 PM
dalancroft is infamous around these parts
Dude, it's a Porsche 911, what did you expect???

Old 01-22-2015, 06:35 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by socialpro
...after a year or so of driving it is I realized that it is hard to turn a 997 into something it is not.
only sensible thing I read in this thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:47 PM
s4alex is infamous around these parts
Wow, really? And here I am usually turning down or off the radio and down the windows so I can hear the engine.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:02 PM
paddyh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by s4alex
Wow, really? And here I am usually turning down or off the radio and down the windows so I can hear the engine.
+1 - best answer yet.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:07 PM
hot nikon is infamous around these parts
I paid Tom at Champion $$$ to get some noise out of the rear end!

But after many hours in the cockpit, I'm just about deaf anyway.

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

Old 02-01-2015, 03:48 AM
TheLex is infamous around these parts
I"m wondering if it's more of a tire issue than anything else. My GTS came with Bridgestones and honestly I don't find the car noisy at all except when I venture into the SF Bay Area, particularly SF itself with all the potholes/torn up pavement.

But here in the Sierra Foothills the roads are decent and I have no issues.

My car had the 20mm lowering option, has the PSE system and I find myself turning the exhaust to the loud position as soon as I start up the engine :-)

Honestly I have to wonder if it's the tires themselves because I've noticed some cars just have very noisy treads.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Marshal_Mercer is infamous around these parts
I wonder if the "quiet" cars have drivers with a partial hearing loss; age does that to one? I have a stock C4S Cab. With the top up, I can take 'phone calls through the car's Blue Tooth system. Can't hear the caller well enough --unless stopped-- with the top down.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:20 PM
malahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to behold
Again, if you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything at all. We are not touching your cars, we do what we want to our own. Just because manufacturer did or didn't do something doesn't mean i have to accept it and not tailor it to my own needs, dude. We are not talking about muting the engine, we are talking about suppressing road noise so the car is more drive-able on daily basis.
Tires do make a difference, but more can be done. I changed my tires and on highway i still can barely talk on the phone. if you don't think that's loud, you might want to check your hearing.

When i got the car i had a 3 hour drive back from dealer on PS2s, i came home with a migraine and ringing in my ears as if i was at a rock concert. If you guys think thats ok to put up with then by all means, have fun with it.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:50 AM
MMK110464 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4alex

Originally Posted by paddyh
+1 - best answer yet.
+2.

It is possible the OP bought the wrong car for him.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:05 AM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
It's a 911 not a Camry.
Look under the front seats. They don't even bother with sound deadening.
I found the best way to eliminate any road noise is to turn off the stereo and keep revs above 5K . That's the music.

I hope you won't be one of those that put in 30 lbs of sound deadening and then a performance exhaust because you can't hear it anymore.
But to each his own I guess. Enjoy it either way.

Last edited by wc11; 02-06-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:39 AM
BLKPPR is infamous around these parts
Mala,
Based on your list of cars (2007 S550, 2006 CLS500, 2004 S500, 2004 CLK500, 1999 Lexus GS300, 2001 C320, 2002 C230K Coupe) the issue may be in your expectation of what an expensive car sounds like. Admittedly this is a nice run of cars you have owned. All of them being luxury cars. Coming from your S550 or CLS 500 you are used to having plenty of power but with a certain "muted" driving experience. Both of those cars above probably had insulated glass to boot. Hope you find what you are looking for with your car but I would bet that a really nicely set up Panamera GTS may be closer to what you want. I have driven many and they are fantastic cars. Powerful, graceful and relatively quiet compared to your 997. I owned a Cayenne S and even with an exhaust system the car was ridiculously quiet. The Pany will be similar but have all the power you want.
WC11 is right. There is no carpet under the seats. I would start with some sound proofing there as it's right under you

Old 02-06-2015, 07:12 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I have had a ton of performance cars and this is my 6th 911 - I have to say the tire noise on the freeway is excessive in these cars. Around town no problem but get on the freeway and it is loud. I have relatively new Michelin PSS. I am pretty sure the Dynamat would go a long way to making this better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Effective 997 Sound Proofing / Deadening?