997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Changed Spark Plugs at shy of 40k miles..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 04:21 PM
simtiaz has a spectacular aura aboutsimtiaz has a spectacular aura about
Changed Spark Plugs at shy of 40k miles..

Even though manual says 60k miles but I went ahead and changed it myself and I am glad I did. Following pics speaks of themselves and think 60k miles are really pushing it if you track once or twice a year. It took about 3-1/2 hrs without removing exhaust. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sid

Old 10-07-2012, 04:47 PM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Dreading changing mine. 3 1/2 hrs sounds about right from what others have said as well. Did you just do it with a hand jack or do you have a lift?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:00 PM
I used floor jack with stands one side at a time

Old 10-08-2012, 03:13 AM
Bokchoys is infamous around these parts
Those are some dirty spark plugs. Looks worse than my BMWs after 100k miles.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
Good job, any DIY steps for this?

Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 AM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ksdprasad
good job, any diy steps for this?
+1!!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:22 PM
I am really bad with writing DIY steps, I can provide tips etc which will help others. It's fairly simple job, just need proper tools and few hours. I spent more time one first side due to car (engine/pipes) were hot and took time to cool down. The other side only took about 1hr (start to finish).
Following is what we did
-Jacked up the car and and used jack stand one side at a time
-Unmounted wheel
- Take heat shield out (two torx screws)
- There are two torx screws that hold the coils, once unscrewed the screws, unplug the wire by pressing the tab and pulling tab up to unplug.
-Use spark plug socket to take the plug out,
-You'll need flex head teardrop ratchect to get to the plugs which are harder to get to, without this ratchet it is impossible to get the plugs out.
let me know if you have any specific question, it looks hard but trust me if you know how to turn a wrench you can do it.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Scotsskier is infamous around these parts
Key thing is to have a 3/8 ratchet and an assortment of extensions. I did it a bout 6 weeks ago and it was ~3.5-4 hours as well. Personally I found it quicker and easier to remove the exhaust, it is literally a 5 minute job to do and improves access. YMMV. If I was doing it again, knowing what is required I would expect it to be 2- 2.5hours with the rear on jackstands

Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by simtiaz
-You'll need flex head teardrop ratchect to get to the plugs which are harder to get to, without this ratchet it is impossible to get the plugs out.
let me know if you have any specific question, it looks hard but trust me if you know how to turn a wrench you can do it.
any picture of the ratchet you have used? also which spark plugs you have got, or they OEM? where are they from? and how much they costed?

Old 10-08-2012, 03:12 PM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ksdprasad
also which spark plugs you have got, or they OEM? where are they from? and how much they costed?
There is another thread about Spark Plug going on at the moment. For replacement, use the recommended Bosch spark Plugs at about $10 a piece. My independent Porsche repair shop refuses to install anything else than Bosch. Why go with something cheaper (not by much) and risk ruining a very expensive engine.

Yves

Old 10-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Does anyone notice a difference with new plugs? Seems like a no-brainer with the pics of the old plugs, but it would be interesting to know if there's any change to performance or gas mileage.
My car has just over 40k miles and this looks interesting...
Thanks

Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 AM
I noticed a difference as soon as I started the car after the install, car sounded very smooth and idle was much better. Few reving in the garage sounded really nice, especially PSE puttered really nice after let go of the gas, if that makes any sense lol.. butt test felt like it responsed better as you step on throtle. Didn't get chance to drive more than 20miles to notice any gas mileage difference but I am sure it will help.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 AM
GregGH is infamous around these parts
Hi Simtiaz

how much oil does your engine use ... some have said as much as 1 qt per 1000 miles ... just curious since you have provided such good images on the plug ...

Question - is your Pcar a 997.2 ( with direct injection ) ... if so - wonder what your intake valves look like ( direct injection has some byproducts )

Greg

Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by simtiaz
Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changed Spark Plugs at shy of 40k miles..