997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Spark Plug question. What Brand?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Izzycab has a spectacular aura aboutIzzycab has a spectacular aura about
Spark Plug question. What Brand?

I have used the search and found different threads. None really say what brand and part numbers to use for 997 non turbo cars. Anyone have advice, need to change my spark plugs soon.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:08 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
For the 997.2 DFI Engine (not sure of others), the OEM plug is a Bosch Part #FGR5NQE0.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:45 PM
simtiaz has a spectacular aura aboutsimtiaz has a spectacular aura about
I just changed plugs yesterday (see my other post in this section), I went with Bosch and got them at Advanced Auto Parts for $10 a piece.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 AM
How many total spark plugs 6?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 AM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Izzycab
How many total spark plugs 6?
Might I recommend a trip to your indy mechanic or dealer for this work. This isn't a job one can tackle easily and you can do far worse damage if you do it wrong. And yes, a 911 has six cylinders, each requires one plug.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM
True! was gonna go to a indy shop to do it. I just want to buy all the parts and get charged for the labor. Reason I asked about how many plugs, cause I saw a site that was selling 8 plugs for the Porsche 911 (997). Just weird?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:10 PM
True! was gonna go to a indy shop to do it. I just want to buy all the parts and get charged for the labor. Reason I asked about how many plugs, cause I saw a site that was selling 8 plugs for the Porsche 911 (997). Just weird?
Nah, not weird. They are typically sold off the shelf in boxes of eight. PM me and I'll send you the link of the site I use to buy plugs. They have always had good prices and very reliable.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Is there a NGK alternative? How do well do they work? Was specifically looking at the NGK Laser Iridium part NGK 6741
I just noticed they are one prong instead of four like the Bosch

Last edited by Izzycab; 10-08-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Is there a NGK alternative? How do well do they work? Was specifically looking at the NGK Laser Iridium part NGK 6741
I just noticed they are one prong instead of four like the Bosch
My advice - stick to OEM. You could buy Laser plugs - NGKs, etc. Great plugs. They work well on my beater Japanese car. But, time and again i've bought non OEM parts for my cars and i've been burned. Given the fact that getting to these plugs is a complete PIA, and you don't know the shape of your coils - if you messed around by using NGK plugs and ran into a problem later, who knows if it was because of the plug or otherwise. Just play it safe. My 2 cents..

Old 10-08-2012, 06:35 PM
drive2006c4s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by daberlin
my advice - stick to oem. You could buy laser plugs - ngks, etc. Great plugs. They work well on my beater japanese car. But, time and again i've bought non oem parts for my cars and i've been burned. Given the fact that getting to these plugs is a complete pia, and you don't know the shape of your coils - if you messed around by using ngk plugs and ran into a problem later, who knows if it was because of the plug or otherwise. Just play it safe. My 2 cents..
+2 ..

Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 AM
GregGH is infamous around these parts
http://www.boschautoparts.com/Vehicl..._num=FGR5NQE04

what is 'Yttrium' ... wonder how it differs from Iridium or Platinum - the two most popular hi end materials used on plugs ....

Greg

Old 10-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Why when ordering from sites they give you the bosch part number FGR5KQE0
Any ideas?

Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 AM
GregGH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GregGH
http://www.boschautoparts.com/Vehicl..._num=FGR5NQE04

what is 'Yttrium' ... wonder how it differs from Iridium or Platinum - the two most popular hi end materials used on plugs ....

Greg
Hi

to follow up - Yttrium is nothing special ... not in same class as Iridium or Platinum ... wonder why ... these plugs are 'standard plugs' if I ca use that term ... and the 4 electrodes ...talking with my local Bosch rep -they are dropping the 4 electrodes on most ( keep this sku ? ) parts - as tech's have not 'bonded' with the look ...

Given how much oil Pcars burn ... wonder what happens when you put a longer life plug in ... if you have any other late model vehicle .. bet you you car is OEM with Iridium or Platinum's ... but not Porsche ????

this link has some good pic's to see older plugs and condition ...
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...40k-miles.html

Greg

ps - anyone ever get a change to take some pic's of intake and exhaust valves should you ever have the heads off ..especially on the 997.2 cars with DFI ( direct fuel injection ) ... just curious .... DFI has their own set of 'issues'

Old 10-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Why when ordering from sites they give you the bosch part number FGR5KQE0
Any ideas?
What is the miles and year of your 997? I would also consider changing the coil packs if you haven't done so already.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:54 AM
I have about 60k miles on the car and its a 2005.
Any suggestion what part number to use when ordering? Please let me know, thanks