997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Thankful I have the Big Yellow PCCB's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:00 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Thankful I have the Big Yellow PCCB's

I drove my GT3 to work today because the weather is perfect and it is just that kind of Friday. As I was going down the road toward the office, someone turned into my lane without looking. Without those big yellow brakes, I would have been looking at a smashed front end and some serious diminished value. As it is, the only casualty was my underwear.

Thanks you, Porsche for building a great car!

Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 PM
dwdwdwwd is infamous around these parts
Glad you're ok. Been there before and it really makes you appreciate all the work that goes in making our cars great!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:19 PM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
Agree. Saved my *** more than a couple of times.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
it wouldn't have made a difference whether if you had pccb's or not. the main limiting factor in braking is tire traction. brake force is the same for pccb and the standard brakes. pccb's help with brake fade which wouldn't be an issue in the situation you described.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:41 PM
ELUSIVE is infamous around these partsELUSIVE is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by killacam
it wouldn't have made a difference whether if you had pccb's or not. the main limiting factor in braking is tire traction. brake force is the same for pccb and the standard brakes. pccb's help with brake fade which wouldn't be an issue in the situation you described.
I was thinking the same thing.
I don't think the stopping distances between the two are all that much different. In fact, unless the brakes are heated up, the PCCB's can actually take longer distances to stop.

Regardless...glad you're ok.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by killacam
pccb's help with brake fade which wouldn't be an issue in the situation you described.

yep. i read once that "in general PCCB's dont stop any better, but they do help stop better the next time" or something like that. i.e. they help with brake fade (on the track) when performing multiple, successive, high speed stops, etc. normal street stopping, even in the event of accident prevention should be the same regardless of red or yellow.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:48 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I guess that my intention was to communicate that my stopping power was better in my Porsche than it would have been in my truck (I normally drive it to work). I think if I was in my truck the lady would be in the hospital right now and I would be getting a new bumper. My C4S with the normal iron brakes would have done the job just as nicely, but my truck is a different story. It just so happens that my GT3 has the PCCB's and I was glad to have them vis a vis the truck.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:17 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
ha! i had a very similar situation driving home from work just now. inattentive dumbass in a Ford Explorer decides to throw his truck into the next lane violently - no signaling, no looking back - and cuts off a Cayenne, which itself has to swerve wildly into the lane on its left. i'm surprised and impressed at an SUV with a high COG handled the maneuver so capably, no apparent loss of control or risk of tipping over. however, its swerve took the Cayenne into my lane, where i was approaching at a faster rate of speed. needless to say the big binder slowed me down with a minimum of fuss - disaster averted twice by Porsche driving dynamics!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spiffyjiff
yep. i read once that "in general PCCB's dont stop any better, but they do help stop better the next time" or something like that. i.e. they help with brake fade (on the track) when performing multiple, successive, high speed stops, etc. normal street stopping, even in the event of accident prevention should be the same regardless of red or yellow.
C&D did a test comparing different braking systems, they had a few cars including a 997 C2S with PCCB's and another one with Big Reds. The end result was same braking distance, and neither Porsche's brakes faded after repeated high speed braking tests. All of the other test vehicles had brake fade, some even lost them completely.