997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

3.8S - How to replace the alternator cable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 12:38 PM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Don
Ohhhhh, I thought the cable ran from the alternator all the way up to the battery. Starter to gear box takes the pros 6 hours? wow.
It does! It is not a trivial task.

Yves

Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 AM
devil boy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Don
Ohhhhh, I thought the cable ran from the alternator all the way up to the battery. Starter to gear box takes the pros 6 hours? wow.
The portion that requires replacing is only from the alternator to the right side of the transmission. Yes, it is a PITA to replace.
Name:  062_zps797577d6.jpg
Views: 5724
Size:  60.5 KB

Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Thanks guys!

Old 01-16-2015, 02:32 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Is this the right part number: 997 607 019 03

Old 01-20-2015, 09:11 AM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
I've been experiencing the same issue for a few months already.. Sluggish engine start when hot (no problem when cold). Checked the battery and it's good. So most likely is this starter / alternator cable.

Would the sluggish engine start get worse and to a point where I can't start the carat all? Just wondering if i can't wait u till the next service interval in a couple of months. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:52 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Blackegle-II
Thank you for help people like makes a different
Did you really have to quote the whole thing?

nvm - it was your first post...

Old 01-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
The real question is...did you have permission to use your wife's pajamas? and what did she end up wearing that night?

Old 03-30-2015, 08:47 AM
Patent-guy is infamous around these parts
Help!

I am new to the forum, but I saw the great instructions for replacing the cable. I am under my 911, but am unable to get the 13 mm nut loose at the plastic box attached to the transmission. It is very clean, but so tight that all that happens when I try to loosen the nut is that the plastic box turns and torques. I am afraid of breaking the plastic box. Any thoughts on how to loosen the nut without causing damage?

Old 03-30-2015, 09:37 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
I suspect it is a through bolt, meaning the nut is what you see with the bolt head on the other side. Use a mirror and flashlight to confirm. See if you can get a wrench on the bolt head.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the quick response.

Looking at the Porsche parts catalog drawing, the threaded bolt portion is integral to the terminal of the alternator cable. In the pictures above Yvesvidal says the plastic box can be removed with a 10mm nut. Perhaps the way to do this is to take the plastic box off of the transmission and see if the terminals can be pulled away out of the box. Then a vice grip could grab the terminal so that some leverage could be applied. Still looks like a pain. I may try that to make sure it works before I go and buy the improved cable.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Fun and informative read. Thanks. I'm impressed. Reminds me to go plug my charger in. Which is the cheap easy and lazy way to go. Prolongs battery life in addition. Some day when motors down I'll get this done.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:26 AM
devil boy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Patent-guy
I am new to the forum, but I saw the great instructions for replacing the cable. I am under my 911, but am unable to get the 13 mm nut loose at the plastic box attached to the transmission. It is very clean, but so tight that all that happens when I try to loosen the nut is that the plastic box turns and torques. I am afraid of breaking the plastic box. Any thoughts on how to loosen the nut without causing damage?
I don't recall whether those terminals are bolts or simply threaded studs. I do know that plastic cover comes off with the alternator cable as an assembly and will be replaced with the new cable. When I replaced mine, I also had that cover spin on me and crack but it's no big deal since there is a new cover on the new cable.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:59 PM
That is good to know. I wasn't aware that the plastic box was part of it. The instructions made it seem like removal of the box was optional, but if I understand you, it has to be replaced with the cable. Good to know that I can destroy the plastic box, but I hope the nut loosens before the box lets go completely.

Did the replacement make a difference for you?

Old 04-02-2015, 10:52 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Replacement of the cable helps a little bit. However, for the starting issue when engine hot, replacing the starter is the key element! Starter can be had from O'Reilly for about $150. Replacing the starter is a lot easier than the cable (no need to crawl under the car).

I have always wondered how Porsche would not catch such a limitation (starting when engine hot) during their testing of the 997.1 prototypes. Or maybe, Bosch delivered a batch of really lousy parts at one point or another.

Yves

Old 04-02-2015, 11:00 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Replacement of the cable helps a little bit. However, for the starting issue when engine hot, replacing the starter is the key element! Starter can be had from O'Reilly for about $150. Replacing the starter is a lot easier than the cable (no need to crawl under the car).

I have always wondered how Porsche would not catch such a limitation (starting when engine hot) during their testing of the 997.1 prototypes. Or maybe, Bosch delivered a batch of really lousy parts at one point or another.

Yves
Hmmm That's good to know. Thx !

I am starting to experience this more severely recently and was considering changing the cable. Now I may change the starter first to see if the problem goes away.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 3.8S - How to replace the alternator cable