997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

So Pissed!!! Found crease on front bumper.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:08 PM
slick911 has a spectacular aura aboutslick911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by luigi007
I was told to use dry ice to rub the dents and then heat up the panel carefully with a heat gun. I was told that this is the way the professionals fix the dents. Anybody has feedback on this?
Lots of bs on that IMO. Last week I tried the blow dryer and upside-down bottle air thingy. Didn't work. Waste of time. Guess I'll just bite the bullet and take the bumper off to fix.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by jacques1960
Make that, "My first wife !"
^^^

Thanks for the grills, jacques1960. Will be installing soon. Need to allocate a Saturday for that.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 PM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Depending on the crease, the heat/cold may work. I have done it on metal, but I don't know about the bumper covers in plastic...

I had a dent in the quarter panel of my Infiniti. I was able to get access to the inside from the trunk. I heated it up with a heat gun (hair dryer probably won't put out enough heat.) from the inside to avoid blistering the paint. Then I used a can of compressed air you buy to clean your computer keyboards...turn it upside down and use the entire can to freeze the same heated area from the outside. I quickly followed by persuading it a little with a small piece of 2X4. The dent popped out marvelously. Yes, in this instance it worked. I was pretty skeptical myself after watching some video on the web, but I figured I had nothing to lose.

It's the same as some people have the luck to pop out hail dents parking their cars in the sun and then put ice cubes on it. It doesn't always work, but it's the same idea.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by amge63
Depending on the crease, the heat/cold may work. I have done it on metal, but I don't know about the bumper covers in plastic...

I had a dent in the quarter panel of my Infiniti. I was able to get access to the inside from the trunk. I heated it up with a heat gun (hair dryer probably won't put out enough heat.) from the inside to avoid blistering the paint. Then I used a can of compressed air you buy to clean your computer keyboards...turn it upside down and use the entire can to freeze the same heated area from the outside. I quickly followed by persuading it a little with a small piece of 2X4. The dent popped out marvelously. Yes, in this instance it worked. I was pretty skeptical myself after watching some video on the web, but I figured I had nothing to lose.

It's the same as some people have the luck to pop out hail dents parking their cars in the sun and then put ice cubes on it. It doesn't always work, but it's the same idea.
Hey amge63. I guess you have some advantages over me. More patient and a heat gun. Glad it worked for you. This needs to be on Mythbusters. Lol

Old 11-03-2012, 07:32 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Very irritating certainly but that's what bumpers are for. I spend a lot of time in Europe and there they USE bumpers to wedge into very limited parking spaces. Here, most of us cringe at the use of bumpers for anything but appearance. Cheap to fix and move on.