997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

So Pissed!!! Found crease on front bumper.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 AM
slick911 has a spectacular aura aboutslick911 has a spectacular aura about
So Pissed!!! Found crease on front bumper.

Did a walk-around of my car last night and BAM! there is was. A 3" vertical crease on my front bumper. Straight as an arrow. Had no idea where it came from. Started to back track where I've been and parked. This was not hard because I mostly just drive it to and from work. Must of occurred when it was parked in front of my kids school while picking them up. These soccer moms (or dads) I tell you. Very disappointing that they just took off. Oh well, life goes on. Could be worse. Glad we weren't in the car when it happened and me losing my cool in front of my kids for a DAMN bumper, I mean nice bumper.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:42 AM
dwdwdwwd is infamous around these parts
Same here! Last saturday. 6 days after I bought my 997S...

I'm just glad it was on the rear bumper as I'm installing GT3 MKII wing in next few weeks and we planed to paint around the deck to match colors anyway.

I feel your pain.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
if the paint is still ok, it's pretty easy to take off the bumper in order to heat/roll the crease out from the inside. just sayin.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:38 AM
oadams is infamous around these parts
At least someone other than you did it. When I bought mine, my buddy, who as at 997TT, told me to be careful parking in that the front of the car is longer than you think. No more than a week later, I ran mine into a concrete wall in my parking spot at work (six inch line).

Old 10-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
While driving home from work last week, I noticed a dark gray 370Z up ahead which had a very noticeable outline of a front license plate frame on his rear bumper (off center).

Problem with our cars compared to many is they are lower and so sloped some drivers of other cars will have a hard time judging distances when parking. Try to never parallel park or in spaces where some may want to park directly in front or behind.

I don't like dings and bumper marks. My '09 007S had two front bumper marks from some other vehicle and I made the dealer fix it at their expense. I took it to where I wanted and they did a great job. You can't see it and I had it clear masked so gone forever! It doesn't cost that much to repair.

Last edited by Steve997S; 10-18-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:15 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
it's happened to me numerous times. no use in crying over spilled milk. step 1- fix it. step 2- get over it. repeat if it happens again.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 PM
slick911 has a spectacular aura aboutslick911 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the support guys. I'm going to take the opportunity to install a set of FVD mesh on the bumper while it is off to fix the crease. Looks like I got lucky because the paint was not damaged. I guess it worked out ok. Been wanting the mesh for a while but the need of bumper removal had steered me away. Now it's a no brainer. Thanks again!

PS: Told wife of the problem and how I am going to fix it. She said "Are you sure you didn't hit the bumper yourself just to have a reason to install the mesh, honey??". Lol.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:11 AM
Ian c2 is infamous around these parts
After I did the immigration thing I travelled back to england and spent a couple of weeks returning my 964 to stock so I could ship the parts off it over here to fit on my new one.
(Long story but I couldn't bring it over with me)

I had some parts painted at a buddies bodyshop whilst he let me use the ramp to take off brake kit etc.
last thing on a Saturday morning just before he closed it was finished and he asked me to get rid of the dust then he was to inspect it, pull down the door, and go home.
I don't really like washing cars so I decided to take it somewhere instead ...

I reversed into a pole at the carwash

Try a heatgun / hairdryer on the dent.
It worked on mine.
it was slowly heated so it was hot to the touch but not melting paint.
Then after about five minutes the heatgun was turned off and a minute later it popped out to its original shape

Old 10-19-2012, 08:54 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
I really feel your pain....

My wife and I park really far away from people. But we still manage to be a regular customer for the paintless dent repair guys at least once a year. I don't even track my two teenager's cars anymore, was angry at the first few, but it's too many to raise my blood pressure now...

Because I know it will never get a ding in my garage, I chalk up these mishaps as the price I pay to put the cars out in public. Ugh.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Nurburg611 is infamous around these partsNurburg611 is infamous around these parts
Ever since some valet guy returned my three weeks old black P-car with scratches and white concrete still on the paint on the left rear fender (thankfully only on the plastic bumper but still), I keep my car no longer in in the city (NYC). I couldn't find yet a garage that would let me self park for a reasonable price so it's sitting in my parent's house in a nice garage spot and became a weekend vehicle. Basically, I have to go get it before I go anywhere. Kinda defeats the purpose of owning a car. My old Boxster was so beat up I didn't care anymore - and I also slept better.

And does anyone else notice when you purposefully park your car at some random, far away, inconvenient, desterted corner at a big parking lot, when you come back there is always this one id&*^% who squeezes their car right next to it even though there are 200 other spots. LOL. I give up... cars get scratches and dings it's just the way it is...

Old 10-21-2012, 01:35 AM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by slick911
Thanks for the support guys. I'm going to take the opportunity to install a set of FVD mesh on the bumper while it is off to fix the crease. Looks like I got lucky because the paint was not damaged. I guess it worked out ok. Been wanting the mesh for a while but the need of bumper removal had steered me away. Now it's a no brainer. Thanks again!

PS: Told wife of the problem and how I am going to fix it. She said "Are you sure you didn't hit the bumper yourself just to have a reason to install the mesh, honey??". Lol.
Sorry to hear this, people are so inconsiderate! I once had a MB loaner since my car was being serviced and came out to a 2" ding on it along with having a note on my car saying.."sorry I put a small dent on your car, I don't think it is a big deal but if you have problems please call.." Not a big deal, really?!

Back on topic- Not sure if you looked into it but Zunsport has mesh grills for the 997.2 now that do not require taking off the bumper (comes in silver and black finish) fyi.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I'm NEVER parallel parking again at any cost. In the last month, both of my cars were tapped front and rear the one time I parallel parked them - WTF?!?!

I think most of it will buff out (just paid $250 for full detail two months ago so not too excited about doing it again so soon!). The worst was luckily not the Porsche - but my Mazda got stress cracks in the paint of the rear bumper from one pretty hard hit. I guess I can make an un-insured motorist claim if I decide to fix it.

I feel your pain!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:02 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
Aargh

I picked up a crease myself - in my own driveway - with the car not moving.

"How ?!", ye may ask.

"Wife", I would reply (noting that I will now refer to the lady as "My wife !")

Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
Make that, "My first wife !"

Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 AM
luigi007 is infamous around these parts
I was told to use dry ice to rub the dents and then heat up the panel carefully with a heat gun. I was told that this is the way the professionals fix the dents. Anybody has feedback on this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So Pissed!!! Found crease on front bumper.