997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Question for R-Comp/Slicks Users

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 PM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Question for R-Comp/Slicks Users

For all of you guys who have track tire setups and/or aggressive suspension mods on your cars, have you done anything to improve the oil system? (Accusump, deeper oil pan, etc.) I've heard about the potential for oil starvation with slicks, and I think there's even something to that effect in the manual. Wondering what the real world consensus is and what you've done.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:29 AM
cl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to behold
I run Bridgestone RE055 semi slick R-spec on track days, with Bilstein damptronics and GT3 LCA's. Have been doing track days for about 5 years now, no problem. However the first few track days (when the car was new) had huge plumes of white smoke coming out of the exhaust which was a big concern. It turns out that it's the oil / air seperator and the fix was to actually take some oil OUT! (this is what the dealership told me). Since then, there has been no problem.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:42 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
i run toyo 888's on bilstein damps, 600#/800# springs. technically, it is an issue beyond OEM limits and considerations to some degree, and i would imagine even more prevalent when going thru longer, higher-G, sweep turns. i dont have live oil pressure data (yet) on my smartycam so i dont know how the pressure is behaving during those turns but i do get my oil tested routinely, and nothing out of the ordinary has shown up (i.e. assuming not a catastrophic failure, oil starvation could lead to internals/metal breakdown over time, etc).

i think early caymans have much more of an issue with this but i'm not sure what part of their design is to blame.

i will add one scary note: immediately after an on-track spin at VIR (midway thru T1 so was relatively low speed but it was a quick snap, and i only did a 180) when the car was coming to rest, i got an "oil pressure too low" dash light and warning. i had never gotten that before or since. it disappeared just as quick but goes to show you that g-forces can wreak havoc on wet sumps.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Purple Squirrel is infamous around these parts
A windage tray for the oil pan will fix this. Does anyone make one for the 911?