997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

SharkWerks 997.2 Exhaust (Center muffler bypass)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Wanderingwheelz is infamous around these parts
Sound clips on YouTube can be fun to listen to, but they are all done in such different environments and with such different methods of recording that they are of practically no use in making an exhaust upgrade decision in my opinion (other than making you aware you should be doing one in the first place). If anyone can tell a different between an AWE or a Sharkwerks bypass pipe from a YouTube video it's due to the recording process of the poster- not the actual product itself. The two sound the same- trust me. I went with Sharkwerks because I liked their customer service better, (Alex is the best dude on all of Porschedom), and the deal was good at the time I made my purchase.

Also, keep in mind that a good aftermarket exhaust is not even close to obnoxious at normal driving speeds- no matter what product(s) you ultimately choose. They all come alive at higher RPM, and it can all be easily controlled with your right foot. Even the pops and gurgles are easily controlled with the Fister Mod/Sharkwerks combo. Very lightly tapping the gas at 3000 RPM+ causes them without fail.... I love that!!!

Especially on the 997.2... Just do something, Anything. The stock exhaust is a joke.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Would you purchase a set of speakers based on their sound on a YouTube clip?

Old 10-29-2012, 09:04 AM
MMK110464 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Alan C.
Would you purchase a set of speakers based on their sound on a YouTube clip?
Is an exhaust bypass, installed in a Porsche 997.2, as easy to come by as a set of speakers in your local electronics store?

Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Is an exhaust bypass, installed in a Porsche 997.2, as easy to come by as a set of speakers in your local electronics store?
Depending on choice of speakers and your location it could be. I'd search my region and local club to find a car to compare if possible.

I've had Sharkwerks on two cars, 997.2S non PSE and the current GTS with PSE. To my ears the sound is great.

If you get a set and for some reason don't like them they are easy to sell. There's not much there to wear out.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:26 AM
MMK110464 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Alan C.
I've had Sharkwerks on two cars, 997.2S non PSE and the current GTS with PSE. To my ears the sound is great.
If you get a set and for some reason don't like them they are easy to sell. There's not much there to wear out.
Hi Alan:
Thanks for your feedback on the Sharkwerk. Did you listen to any other bypass before you choose? Care to share your impressions?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 AM
I had the chance to hear. Fabspeed and liked the sound of the Sharkwerks better. It is really a personal choice.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MMK110464
I woud really appreciate the opinion of the forum members when comparing these videos and for possible explanations on why the different sounds. It would also be nice to hear from Mike (AWE) and the Sharkster

Cheers,

Moses
Moses,

There is really only one way to skin this cat. If the side mufflers are stock, the sound will be the same regardless of what brand crossover you choose.

Hopefully they will be ours...

Click HERE for those that want to read more.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Mark Harris is infamous around these parts
They are an $800 set of tubes. Just order them.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 AM
dutchsubdriver is infamous around these parts
Hi guy's,
Im thinking of cross overs or x-pipes to replace the center muffler. The problem is, you get so much different information. Sometimes I feel companies are only giving you information based on the product they sell. I can understand that but where can I get objective information?
Some are saying the x-pipes loose power (maybe not much but even so) but that they are better because of the gasflow of the two cilinder banks mix, others say use cross over because of better hp gain and gasflow mix is not important.
What is it? If gasflow mix is not important, why would somebody produce x-pipes then?

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:52 AM
I am afraid that if a go louder to be able to hear the exhaust inside the cabin then the sound will be to loud outside
That would be the Harley syndrome.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
I installed Sharkwerks 3 years ago. They definitely made a huge difference in the exhaust note. My Porsche mechanic was very impressed how perfect they fit. Their service was great. I am still happy and it was some of the best money I spent on a Mod.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:27 AM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
My sharkwerks on my C4S is nice when you are above 4K rpm and best on the track with sport plus mode. Below 4K it is hard to notice. It is an easy mod to have done. Just keep your stock center for a return to OEM when you need to. You can add a tubi system or just start with a Tubi or FVD but that is more costly. But that being said they don't compare with a GT3 sound esp with bypass.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:37 PM
mdking1231 is a jewel in the roughmdking1231 is a jewel in the roughmdking1231 is a jewel in the roughmdking1231 is a jewel in the rough
CPO Question on SharkWerks

Resurrecting an older thread, since I'm looking at a 997.2, and I've noticed less exhaust sound compared to my .1. Since I'm looking at some CPO cars, I'm curious how you determined that the SharkWerks exhaust bypass won't effect a warranty. I would assume PCNA can always (and would be motivated) to deny for anything out of stock. Just curious on the authority on this...

Old 01-03-2014, 06:58 PM
I had my Sharkwerks bypass on when a rep checked out my PDK. Nothing was said about the pipe.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:02 AM
richard181 is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE=kouzman;3672959]The AWE which i have is the same as the SW. I dont think there is a difference in sound since the design is almost exactly the same. It will definitely make the car to sound better, a more Porsche like sound, as my brother said when he heard the car...

The tips, again on the 3.6 fit exactly the same since the tips bolt on the side muffler and not the x-pipe.

you should not have guaranty issues. i have seen many cars with this mod. this mod does not trigger any codes and you will still pass emissions no problem since you dont modify / remove the cats.

You can install it by yourself, however some of the bolts to remove are a major PITA. I actually bought a u shape wrench set o do it...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kouzman/6261678101/http://www.flickr.com/photos/kouzman/6261678101/ by kouzman, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kouzman/6262202398/http://www.flickr.com/photos/kouzman/6262202398/ by kouzman, on Flickr

Where did you get the curved wrench??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SharkWerks 997.2 Exhaust (Center muffler bypass)