997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

SharkWerks 997.2 Exhaust (Center muffler bypass)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:12 PM
MMK110464 is infamous around these parts
SharkWerks 997.2 Exhaust (Center muffler bypass)

I have a C4S 997.2 (no PSE) and I am a little disappointed with the exhaust note and sound level. I think the car is a joy to drive but I expected something a little more "throatier" from a Porsche.

After reading dozens of posts, I am leaning towards the SharkWerks exhaust which bypasses the center muffler with straight-through pipes.

The reason I am making this post is to corroborate what I believe I have learned from all the reading I did; the fact of the matter is that there are contradictions between many of the posts regarding loss of torque, exhaust sound increase and other facts. I hope this thread will help me clarify this issues and along the way help others who are going through the process of choosing an exhaust system for their cars.

I plan to buy the http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193"]SharkWerks exhaust based on these premises:

1) There will not be a loss of low end torque
While the "x" shape bypass from other vendors seems to cause a loss of low end torque, the straight-through design of the bypass from SharkWerks will not cause this loss. I don't track my car but enjoy the pull of the engine between 2k-5k rpm. I neither care nor understand the dyno charts; I rather trust the opinion of other fellow Porsche owners regarding this point which is key to me

2) There "might" be a gain in HP but never a loss

3) There is no need to re-tune the car to get the most out of the SharkWerks exhaust bypass
The ECU of the car will adjust itself after 50+ miles

4) SharkWerks bypass is the quietest
Compared to Fabspeed and AWE which are the other 2 options I am considering. I want a little more growl out of the exhaust and for the sound to be noticeable inside the cabin for my enjoyment while the windows are closed, but not something that make heads turn when I drive by or that will make my wife avoid riding in my car. I would have preferred to install the PSE system with the on/off button, but I was told it required extensive disassembling of interior parts. The car already has a couple of rattles from the factory; can't imagine how many more will a job like this introduce. I also researched the systems with remote controlled flaps (valvetronic) but the remote control solution doesn't appeal to me; I would have considered these systems if the Homelink system of the car could be use to control the valvetronic system and I could do away with the remote.
I haven't been able to find a sound clip of the SharkWerks bypass from inside the cabin of a 997.2. If someone can provide one I will really appreciate it.

5) The original look of the car won't change
The straight-through pipes will be as invisible as the current center muffler. Anybody has pictures of the back of the car with the SharkWerks bypass installed?

6) The tips will protrude the same as stock

7) The rear bumper does not have to come off for the installation

8) Installing the SharkWerks exhaust will not void the car's warranty

9) SharkWerks will give a discount to forum members

Please chip in with your opinions/experiences to help corroborate or deny any and all of these "facts"; your help will be greatly appreciated. Maybe if enough people contribute to this thread it will be the go to thread for people considering the SharkWerks exhaust and save other forum members from the hassle of finding and reading dozens of posts

Cheers,

Moses

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-03-2023 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:17 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
The AWE which i have is the same as the SW. I dont think there is a difference in sound since the design is almost exactly the same. It will definitely make the car to sound better, a more Porsche like sound, as my brother said when he heard the car...

The tips, again on the 3.6 fit exactly the same since the tips bolt on the side muffler and not the x-pipe.

you should not have guaranty issues. i have seen many cars with this mod. this mod does not trigger any codes and you will still pass emissions no problem since you dont modify / remove the cats.

You can install it by yourself, however some of the bolts to remove are a major PITA. I actually bought a u shape wrench set o do it...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kouzman/6261678101/http://www.flickr.com/photos/kouzman/6261678101/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/kouzman/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kouzman/6262202398/http://www.flickr.com/photos/kouzman/6262202398/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/kouzman/, on Flickr

Where a couple of videos...

This is a GoPro mounted on the rear glass...

You will definitely save some weight and they say that such mod adds about 8-12 hp which is good to have...

Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Nurburg611 is infamous around these partsNurburg611 is infamous around these parts
Installed Sharkwerks bypass on my 997.2 C2S a month ago.

1) Disregarding charts, I neither feel a loss or gain in power (but most definitely no loss).

2) Dyno charts from Sharkwerks suggest slight increases in power and torque. See 1) - nothing you can really feel in my mind.

4) Send me a PM with your email and I can send you a clip on the weekend. Sound is awesome. I didn't have a chance to compare directly vis a vis competitor products but the difference in sound is noticeable and AWESOME (but not too loud). It's not louder but just sounds way better. Great product for 700 something bucks.

5) No change

6) Tips are not affected by center bypass. They're attached to side mufflers.

7) No but you need to lift the car. I don't have one so body shop installed in less than an hour

8) Does not affect warranty (other than any direct physical damage relating to unprofessional installation)

9) For awhile they gave free shipping to forum members. I had received no discounts but exceptional customer service even during the weekends as I was finetuning the installation.

For me it was important that (a) all research has led me to this product and I can only confirm that I am happy with my choice and (b) it's plug and play so if things don't work out or I sell the car, then the OEM center muffler is back in place in less than an hour.

Go for it!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Wanderingwheelz is infamous around these parts
I installed the Sharkwerks on my 2012 C2S and it wasn't too long after that I decided I needed more sound. On a coupe or with the top up on a cabriolet you won't notice much if any difference from stock. With the top down I could tell a small difference- especially right at start up. The quality of workmanship is great, and there is certainly no detectable change in performance. I say get them just don't expect a remarkable change in sound from what you have now. You will not find a company that wants to earn your business more than Sharkwerks- customer service is exemplary. More retailers in the Porsche world should take note.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Okay, I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but what brand are the tail lights in the AWE video? I like the sequential brake lights!

The exhaust in the vid sounds great.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:36 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JB in AR
Okay, I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but what brand are the tail lights in the AWE video? I like the sequential brake lights!

The exhaust in the vid sounds great.
Everything is stock. The lights look like they are interchanging because they are LEDs. That's how all LEDs show on video.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Thanks. I have a 997.1, and it doesn't have LED's, so it's on my list to get them.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Wanderingwheelz
I installed the Sharkwerks on my 2012 C2S and it wasn't too long after that I decided I needed more sound. On a coupe or with the top up on a cabriolet you won't notice much if any difference from stock. With the top down I could tell a small difference- especially right at start up. The quality of workmanship is great, and there is certainly no detectable change in performance. I say get them just don't expect a remarkable change in sound from what you have now. You will not find a company that wants to earn your business more than Sharkwerks- customer service is exemplary. More retailers in the Porsche world should take note.
I second that. Secondary mufflers will give you the Porsche sound you want far more than a primary muffler replacement. I would describe my x-pipe as very noticeable change in volume, but it's not the deep bass tome of a free flowing muffler, which will increase power as well. I'm still a Cargraphic fan as they seem better engineered and manufactured than most else. It's German, so it must be good!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by kouzman
The AWE which i have is the same as the SW. I dont think there is a difference in sound since the design is almost exactly the same. It will definitely make the car to sound better, a more Porsche like sound, as my brother said when he heard the car...
Hey Kouzman:

Thanks for your reply and the included videos.
Your car sounds very good so I hope that the Sharkwerks sounds the same. Or maybe I should consider the AWE?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Nurburg611
4) Send me a PM with your email and I can send you a clip on the weekend. Sound is awesome. I didn't have a chance to compare directly vis a vis competitor products but the difference in sound is noticeable and AWESOME (but not too loud). It's not louder but just sounds way better. Great product for 700 something bucks.
Hi Nurburg:

Thank you so much for your very complete reply.

Can't send you a PM because of not enough posts. If you send me a PM with your email I will reply. Thank you.

Last edited by MMK110464; 10-25-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderingwheelz
Hi Wanderingwheelz:

Thanks for your input. Your comment about not being able to tell the difference in sound on a coupe worries me. The whole idea of installing the Sharkwerks bypass if the gratification of *me* hearing the exhaust, not just those outside the car. However, I am afraid that if a go louder to be able to hear the exhaust inside the cabin then the sound will be to loud outside and I will get unwanted attention which I am trying to avoid. Not sure what to do.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Steve997S
I second that. Secondary mufflers will give you the Porsche sound you want far more than a primary muffler replacement. I would describe my x-pipe as very noticeable change in volume, but it's not the deep bass tome of a free flowing muffler, which will increase power as well. I'm still a Cargraphic fan as they seem better engineered and manufactured than most else. It's German, so it must be good!
Hey Steve:

Thanks for your reply.

I notice that you have the Cargraphic gas collision bypass which if I am not mistaken is very similar to the Fabspeed:
What is gas collision?
Have you notice any loss in low end torque?
Do you think it is louder that the Sharkwerks bypass?
Would you care to share some sound/video clips?

Cheers

Last edited by MMK110464; 10-25-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by MMK110464
Hey Kouzman:

Thanks for your reply and the included videos.
Your car sounds very good so I hope that the Sharkwerks sounds the same. Or maybe I should consider the AWE?
It should sound the same. To tell you the truth I don't see a difference between the two products. My selection was based on the availability at the point I wanted to proceed with the purchase. Both companies are offering quality products for many years in the Porsche community. Can't go wrong with either.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MMK110464
Hey Steve:

Thanks for your reply.

I notice that you have the Cargraphic gas collision bypass which if I am not mistaken is very similar to the Fabspeed:
What is gas collision?
Have you notice any loss in low end torque?
Do you think it is louder that the Sharkwerks bypass?
Would you care to share some sound/video clips?

Cheers
I don't think it sounds different. Sound collision means the pipes merge. Non-merging is louder and you get a pop-pop during deceleration, but collision breathes better. Cargraphic is a higher quality product as it allows for heat expansion within the design, has a lifetime warranty, and is a very well crafted product from Germany.

No loss in power, anywhere in the power band. Has a nice sound at full throttle. But hindsight being 20/20 I should have purchased the Cargraphic secondary mufflers (without remote) and left the primary alone. The OEM primary is nearly as non-restrictive, but deadens sound and weighs a lot.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Video

Based on kouzman's positive review of the AWE primary muffler bypass and on the sound I heard from his video, I am now leaning towards the AWE.

When I look at both the Sharwerks and the AWE pipes, they do look the same, but the sound clips I've heard proof different. In addition to kouzman's video, I also heard the following videos:

To me, the AWE sounds deeper and even growls when you let go of the pedal. To me its very different from the sound coming from the Sharkwerks bypass.

Maybe the AWE and the Sharkwerks bypass look the same but their exact shape/insides are different?

I woud really appreciate the opinion of the forum members when comparing these videos and for possible explanations on why the different sounds. It would also be nice to hear from Mike (AWE) and the Sharkster

Cheers,

Moses

Last edited by MMK110464; 10-28-2012 at 09:53 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SharkWerks 997.2 Exhaust (Center muffler bypass)