997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Are coil packs covered by warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Are coil packs covered by warranty

If the packs are cracked before the original factory warranty expires, shouldnthey be replced by the dealer for free?

Old 10-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Former Vendor
HouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really nice
yes and these questions you really should consult with your local dealer before you post.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:47 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
I suspect Porsche dealer service will say 'cracks' are normal and as long as you're not missing or getting poor ignition your coil packs are just fine.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:01 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
to our own "house automotive", the purpose of the post is to be armed with what should be before you go to your dealer. not all dealers are probably like you. some will say yes some will say no. are we suppose to just say yes or are we suppose to press for our rights? i have heard so many replace coil packs becuase they are cracked this happens on supposedly the forth year of ownership. this is right before warranty expires, at least with my car its 4 years. now i ask again when one sees cracked units on this forth year service, can it be claimed under warranty and not be charged when spark plugs are replaced?
AP 997S, i suspect you are right but a crack is a crack and will in the future cause problems, if the dealer sees it before warranty expires they should replace it with an uncracked new one. no questions asked, you agree? all the more reason to bring in into the dealer for the 4th year service.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Former Vendor
HouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really niceHouseAutomotive is just really nice
Slicky Rick: I apologize for my tone, any how not sure exactly where you located at but most dealer here in So. Cali won't replace the coils unless there is misfires or check engine light on. However most sports cars after x amount of miles have hair line cracks and the dealer won't replace them because there is no warning lights on the dash. Again this should be a warranty issue and I beleive you will really need to push this concern to the service manager and the service manager might even have to get authorization from PCNA in order to replace ignition coils without check engine lights

Old 10-24-2012, 06:39 PM
no problem brother, we are all here to help everybody and your sharing of your opinion will matter in our forum. thank you.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 AM
GuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the rough
Brought my 08 C4S in to very reputable Indie because it threw a check engine light. Showed me the Coil pack is cracked. 40K on the car is this normal? Anybody know the cost to replace? BTW the car did not feel any different. No hesitation, vibration, nothing just the big red exclamation.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GuzziGreg
Brought my 08 C4S in to very reputable Indie because it threw a check engine light. Showed me the Coil pack is cracked. 40K on the car is this normal? Anybody know the cost to replace? BTW the car did not feel any different. No hesitation, vibration, nothing just the big red exclamation.
As noted here, cracks don't mean the coil is bad. Would clear the code and see if it comes back. If it does, then the coil could be the culprit if it's a misfire code.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slicky rick
to our own "house automotive", the purpose of the post is to be armed with what should be before you go to your dealer. not all dealers are probably like you. some will say yes some will say no. are we suppose to just say yes or are we suppose to press for our rights? i have heard so many replace coil packs becuase they are cracked this happens on supposedly the forth year of ownership. this is right before warranty expires, at least with my car its 4 years. now i ask again when one sees cracked units on this forth year service, can it be claimed under warranty and not be charged when spark plugs are replaced?
AP 997S, i suspect you are right but a crack is a crack and will in the future cause problems, if the dealer sees it before warranty expires they should replace it with an uncracked new one. no questions asked, you agree? all the more reason to bring in into the dealer for the 4th year service.
You don't have to ask 6 Speed if you should press for your rights - always press for your rights and it doesn't matter if my dealer chooses to replace cracked coils under warranty, your dealer may choose to not do this. I guess your answer is "it depends". Good luck.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 AM
GuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the rough
Dadio thanks, there in fact two misfire codes. Never felt them though.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:56 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I too would want some information as it related to other owners' experiences before speaking with the dealership. I always prefer to go armed for a battle but prefer to talk politely to make my point. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
If you are experiencing any actual issues and have CEL on then yes they are covered under factory warranty. I had mine replaced this way.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
The coils are in a vulnerable location and subject to deterioration from water spray. This is a known problem for 996 & 997 cars. They will eventually go bad. A good rule of thumb is to replace all when one goes bad. A relatively inexpensive part, I think about $60 each. If a check engine light goes off for one coil, replace all of them. It would make sense to replace them when the spark plugs are changed out, if the car is used where the roads are salted or the car is not garaged. A misfiring coil can poison the catalytic convertor.