997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fabspeed or AWE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 01:37 AM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Up On 3 Racing
The little power you gain is actually in the sport cats and headers not soo much to be gained in mufflers.
Little power you gain?? The AWE system = 39HP gains....that is not little power IMO.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Up On 3 Racing is infamous around these parts
Re: ICN2U question. We ran Fabspeed headers $1450 and sport cats $1450. Remember If it's not aggressive enough for you you can always do fabspeed mufflers $1095, Cargraphic, Gemballa, Tech Art,or we do our own modified stock muffler $850 with exchange. But as much as I would like to sell you mufflers as well I would recommend you start with headers and cats first. You will find more free flowing power in headers and sport cats then you will find in mufflers. Then I would recommend finishing it off with a nice set of dual tips $550. Let me know If I can help. Danny (626) 568-8886

P.S. Sorry about our website, it's 6-7 years old and is in the process of being updated.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Up On 3 Racing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by synergy
Little power you gain?? The AWE system = 39HP gains....that is not little power IMO.
Synergy you clearly misunderstood me. For starters I said you would gain more power in headers and sport cats then by simply replacing mufflers alone. As for AWE claiming 39HP I'm pretty sure that's there complete system which includes headers cats and mufflers. If i'm wrong and they are getting 39HP out of mufflers alone they have probably placed an extra set of turbo chargers in their mufflers.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:28 AM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Synergy you clearly misunderstood me. For starters I said you would gain more power in headers and sport cats then by simply replacing mufflers alone. As for AWE claiming 39HP I'm pretty sure that's there complete system which includes headers cats and mufflers. If i'm wrong and they are getting 39HP out of mufflers alone they have probably placed an extra set of turbo chargers in their mufflers.
Gotcha - the +39 is the complete system. I heard it yesterday and was very impressed.........

Old 02-12-2006, 12:23 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by synergy
Gotcha - the +39 is the complete system. I heard it yesterday and was very impressed.........
So when we doing it then ?

Old 02-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Coochas is infamous around these partsCoochas is infamous around these parts
I just blended the AWE, Fabspeed and SpeedArt promo vids for their exhaust systems into one video,...enjoy:
http://coochas.com/porsche/Resources/FabSpeedartAWE.wmv

Old 02-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
So when we doing it then ?
I hear that - likely very soon. I want to get a benchmark dyno done on my car first...

Old 02-16-2006, 12:06 AM
ICN2U is infamous around these parts
Re: ICN2U question. We ran Fabspeed headers $1450 and sport cats $1450. Remember If it's not aggressive enough for you you can always do fabspeed mufflers $1095, Cargraphic, Gemballa, Tech Art,or we do our own modified stock muffler $850 with exchange. But as much as I would like to sell you mufflers as well I would recommend you start with headers and cats first. You will find more free flowing power in headers and sport cats then you will find in mufflers. Then I would recommend finishing it off with a nice set of dual tips $550. Let me know If I can help. Danny (626) 568-8886

P.S. Sorry about our website, it's 6-7 years old and is in the process of being updated.

Thanks for being so specific. I'm still looking into it but hope to be doing something soon.

Old 02-28-2006, 12:16 AM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
the fabspeed muffler bypass sounds so mean and for such a low price. I wouldn't expect much gains if any and would purely go with it for the sound and weight savings. Prolly try it out by april or so. Up on 3, pm sent

Old 03-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
This is Joe @ Fabspeed Motorsports. We specialize in Porsche exhaust systems and cover the entire range. Over 12 year of experiece in Porsche performance exhaust systems. There are several significant differences in 997 performance exhaust systems offered by various companies.

#1 Fabspeed's 997 headers are C.N.C mandrel bent 1 PIECE primary tubes for maximum exhaust flow. WE DO NOT as compared with all other companies "cut, splice and weld together" variuos pieces of tubing like rigatoni to make headers. Headers made of many pieces are weaker and dont flow as well becasue of welds protruding inside the tubes.

#2 Fabspeed imports GERMAN high flow sport cats. Most companies DONT bother with this as it is TOO expensive in terms of cost per unit, shipping, and customs clearance/duty. We dont cut corners.

#3 Fabspeed mufflers are 16 guage and 14 guage T 304SS. Our systems last and never break versus other systems that ROUTINELY FAIL.

Many other exhaust systems are lightweight 18guage and 20 guage polished T304stainless that look good........BUT underneath and inside they will eventually crack and fail...>> especially exhaust systems engineered by Ken McNeil and people that wereTRAINED by Kenny McNeil. B&B Triflo, GHL Motorsports and AWE Tuning were all Kenny McNail operations.....until the poor guy was forced out each of these companies.
Steve Timmins has Kenny McNeil BUSTED mufflers showing up on his doorstep too. Sheetmetal brakes and drippy Tig Weld are too weak. for Porsche cars.

Fabspeed as dynoed proven will add up to 40HP on 997 S cars and with other simple modifications 400HP is easily achieved. The cost is comparable but perhaps slightly higher than thin guage systems but the fit finish and quality is 1st rate and the systems last and take the strongest backfires at the race track and FABSPEED systems were on atleast 20 cars in GrandAmerican road racing the last 3 years and countless PCA Club racing winning cars.

Our dealers can make a strong package price on Fabspeed headers, sports cats and MAXFLO MUFFLERS and tips for all 996, 997, GT3 cars.
Have a great day>>!

Old 03-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Mika_Hakkinen is infamous around these parts
Joe I was checking out your website's vid clips; do you have a clip that showcases the entire system installed on a 997 (headers/cats/mufflers)?

I only saw a clip for the mufflers and the muffler bypass.

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:18 PM
mikejones997 is infamous around these partsmikejones997 is infamous around these parts
Get the tubi, I have it on my 997s it sound so good.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
This is Todd of AWE Tuning, and since a competitor has singled us out in a post, I feel I have to take the time to address some issues he has brought up:

Originally Posted by 993RSClubsport
#1 Fabspeed's 997 headers are C.N.C mandrel bent 1 PIECE primary tubes for maximum exhaust flow. WE DO NOT as compared with all other companies "cut, splice and weld together" variuos pieces of tubing like rigatoni to make headers. Headers made of many pieces are weaker and dont flow as well becasue of welds protruding inside the tubes.
Actually, this is a very good point, and I do agree with Joe, to a degree.

Unground welds can impede the exhaust flow.

That is why we hand finish each weld internally on our exhaust systems. Very time consuming, but we do not cut corners here.

In fact, we just purchased some special tooling for our CNC mandrel bender to allow us to do some closely spaced bends and eliminate some of the welds in our headers, ultimately saving us some welding and finishing time.

However, where I do not agree is with the statement about welds. As long as proper welding technique is used, additional welds do not make a tube weaker.

Yet, if a weld can be avoided, it makes better sense from a time perspective.

#2 Fabspeed imports GERMAN high flow sport cats. Most companies DONT bother with this as it is TOO expensive in terms of cost per unit, shipping, and customs clearance/duty. We dont cut corners.
Sounds good from a marketing perspective, but we have extensive street and track testing on a domestically produced metal core, and not only is there no structural issue, there is no catalyst action issue either (meaning no check engine lights long term).

The Emitec design that some German cats use does have a stronger core, and we do import those for a very close coupled Audi turbo application, but even on the high exhaust volume and close coupled 996TT application, we have found no reason to use the Emitec swirl design (which I see you do not use either).

We spent *a lot* of time doing engineering analyses on our cats, including direct conversations with Johnson Matthey (makers of the precious metal coating found on most OEM cats), and we have found no need to use a German cat, especially one that does not use the Emitec design.

#3 Fabspeed mufflers are 16 guage and 14 guage T 304SS. Our systems last and never break versus other systems that ROUTINELY FAIL.

Many other exhaust systems are lightweight 18guage and 20 guage polished T304stainless that look good........BUT underneath and inside they will eventually crack and fail...>>
I agree, 18 and 20 gauge is not sufficient for the extreme pressures seen on high horsepower Porsches (or other vehicles). That is why we use at least 16 gauge (.065") 304SS tubing and sheet metal on all our Porsche exhausts, and 14 gauge on some muffler skins.

especially exhaust systems engineered by Ken McNeil and people that wereTRAINED by Kenny McNeil. B&B Triflo, GHL Motorsports and AWE Tuning were all Kenny McNail operations.....until the poor guy was forced out each of these companies.
Steve Timmins has Kenny McNeil BUSTED mufflers showing up on his doorstep too. Sheetmetal brakes and drippy Tig Weld are too weak. for Porsche cars.
Heh heh! I agree! That is why he was "forced out" of our company almost two years ago, and I had to redesign almost our whole product line because of some weak points in long term reliability we were not happy with. I built special tooling for our form press to be able to eliminate areas of stress that we found to be causing integrity issues in some of our systems.

In fact, I would say our systems are among the most "relaxed" in the world, meaning that we strive to eliminate stress points in the construction of each component. Our flanges are all CNC flycut on our vertical machining center for this pupose, too.

Our welders are certified, using state of the art Miller TIG welding machines. I'll put our welds against the best in any industry. And there are many people on this forum that can attest to their beauty and consistency in bead and penetration.

I invite any interested parties to come by our facility to see these techniques first hand. Our CNC, mandrel bending, engineering, and chassis dyno testing operations are all in house, which really permits us to create a very consistent and world class product.

A virtual tour can be taken here:

http://awe-tuning.com/pages/facility_tour/index.cfm

Thanks for reading!

Old 03-02-2006, 04:43 PM
AWE, Fabspeed, Tubi, Cargraphic, FVD, PSI.......

anyone else's head starting to spin?

Old 03-02-2006, 05:39 PM
And would someone please explain the 200 cell vs. 100 cell catalytics? Why would I want one over the other?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed or AWE