997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Beware of Dupli-Color Tire Shine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:51 PM
fattire775 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs down Beware of Dupli-Color Tire Shine

Thought I would give everyone a heads up on my recent experience with Dupli-Colors Tire Shine product. I'm super **** about my vehicles, so of course I taped off my wheels and covered the exposed body before applying the product. I applied 4 coats over a 30 minute period. I waited an addition 10 minutes before removing the tape on the wheels. Now the product applies with a fine oil consistency and runs very easy. Reminds me of applying silicone spray. The can states that if the product starts to run, wait 5 minutes and apply another coat. Once I removed the tape, I found 3 wheels which the product had actually contacted the wheel. I used rubbing alcohol and a grease and wax remover to try and remove the product as direct by the product. To my surprise, very little of the product actually came off! I was left with several brown stain like areas on my wheels. I have tried numerous products trying to make a dent in the stain, brake clean, rubbing compounds, Mr. Clean erase etc. with no success. I have emailed Sherman Williams which owns Dupli-Color with the pictures and my disappointment in the product. I'll let you know if they ever get back to me.
Other than staining my wheels, the product itself is nothing special. The final product is a wax like film. After the 1st drive, I did notice it flaking off fairly easily.
If you plan on using this product, be very careful!!!!

Attached Images    
Old 10-26-2012, 07:03 PM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
best of luck with this! I recommend trying silk shine dressing from chemical guys. It leaves a great matte finish. I've tried several tire dressings and always go back to that one. I have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer. What wheels are those btw?

Old 10-26-2012, 07:09 PM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
ugh that sucks man. sorry.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by randomquickness
best of luck with this! I recommend trying silk shine dressing from chemical guys. It leaves a great matte finish. I've tried several tire dressings and always go back to that one. I have no affiliation with them, just a happy customer. What wheels are those btw?
I'll be sure to check them out. The wheels are stock spoke 19"

Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Thanks for heads up. I have stopped using tire dressing all together. On low profile tires, you can't see much anymore

Old 10-27-2012, 01:20 AM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djantlive
Thanks for heads up. I have stopped using tire dressing all together. On low profile tires, you can't see much anymore
+1, these days I go out of my way to make sure that they don't use any tire shine on my car.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:44 AM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
its better not to spray anything on the tire, spray it on a rag then wipe it on the tire. same with interior (armorall etc)

Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 PM
I've always used the rag method in the past. Seemed like every time I was flipping through the channels, the Tire Shine commercial was pop up. Thought it couldn't hurt to give it a shot. Boy was I wrong! What amazes me it that nothing seems to make a dent in the stains! I've been in the market for new wheels, but this is not what I wanted to help push my purchase!

Old 10-27-2012, 02:15 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OKB
its better not to spray anything on the tire, spray it on a rag then wipe it on the tire. same with interior (armorall etc)
Exactly. Never spray anything around wheels, brakes or paint. I wipe anything on that goes on......... except for RaggTopp. Even if you wee going to spray on a safe tire dressing, why 4 coats?

Last edited by denversteve; 10-27-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Have you tried using a polish on the wheels. In the future, use a proper rubber conditioner like 303 Aerospace protectant. Clean look and it protects the rubber as well

Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Have you tried using a polish on the wheels. In the future, use a proper rubber conditioner like 303 Aerospace protectant. Clean look and it protects the rubber as well

I'll be trying a high speed polishing wheel tomorrow. I figured I was going above and beyond by covering the wheels and body. The directions say any over spray can be removed with rubbing alcohol or grease and tar remover. I call BS! Nobody expects to have a tire product cause stains on a wheel. We'll see how tomorrows’ polishing goes.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:13 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
I use 303 as well. Just remember it makes the car VERY slippery if you go for a drive without letting it dry properly. It's pretty funny to watch a turbo do a 4 wheel burnout...

Old 10-28-2012, 08:18 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
You should be able to dab some polish on a towel and wipe off that stuff. It depends on the polish you have. No need for a machine

Old 10-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Premium Sponsor
Not sure how, or where, the product was applied. Putting this product on your tire sidewalls shouldn't cause a car to spin around. If you track a car, then it would be wise to clean the sidewalls prior to track day.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 AM
dave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nicedave29 is just really nice
+1 on 303.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Beware of Dupli-Color Tire Shine