997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

painted calipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:53 PM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Wanderingwheelz
Does anybody go so far as to buy an "S" for the rear after painting their brakes red? Like Ari on Entourage did to his wife's car. Hilarious! If I did this I'd choose a color other than red or yellow- doesn't it look poserish if you use a factory color that Porsche chose to designate a more premium (i.e. expensive) model in it's line-up? Am I the only one who thinks this when I see red calipers on a base Carrera or Boxster?

I know I'm opening up a can of worms, potentially.... But WTH.
just an "S"? whatever i'm putting "turbo S with monster ****" on the back of my car.

i painted them because black was boring and any color other than red looked strange to me, not because i wanted to pass my car off as another. really didn't want to have green calipers.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:57 PM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Hey so you needed three spray bottles right?
Primer
Red paint
Clear coat

Would you mind telling me what exactly you used and where to get it?

Thanks
for a really good DIY search 'painted calipers joelpirela' he goes through it pretty well.

i used dupli-color engine enamel, primer (DE1612), clear (DE1636) and red caliper paint (BCP100). you can get them from o'reilly or online. do NOT use the dupli-color caliper paint kit, the enamel doesn't go on smooth and the brush they provide is crap.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Hatzenbach has a spectacular aura aboutHatzenbach has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Poshaman
You would have to bleed the brakes if you remove the calipers.
Yes, but bleeding only takes like 5 min / wheel and you should do it once a year anyways (I do it after every track day, so basically 10 times / year)

Taking the calipers off takes about 15 min / wheel, so I will do it with the calipers off the car.

That's the easy part, getting the spray right, that's where I am worried

Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Hatzenbach has a spectacular aura aboutHatzenbach has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Wanderingwheelz
Does anybody go so far as to buy an "S" for the rear after painting their brakes red? Like Ari on Entourage did to his wife's car. Hilarious! If I did this I'd choose a color other than red or yellow- doesn't it look poserish if you use a factory color that Porsche chose to designate a more premium (i.e. expensive) model in it's line-up? Am I the only one who thinks this when I see red calipers on a base Carrera or Boxster?

I know I'm opening up a can of worms, potentially.... But WTH.
well, in my case I am just trying to get very worn red (they are actually more brownish (with yellow logos) after many track days) back to their original shine.
But quite frankly it's everyone's own car and everyone can do whatever they like, it's a free country after all

Old 10-28-2012, 10:34 AM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
Everyone knows yellow is the new red for calipers
I'll just stick to my boring stock red ones...

Old 10-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Poshaman has a spectacular aura aboutPoshaman has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Yes, but bleeding only takes like 5 min / wheel and you should do it once a year anyways (I do it after every track day, so basically 10 times / year)

Taking the calipers off takes about 15 min / wheel, so I will do it with the calipers off the car.

That's the easy part, getting the spray right, that's where I am worried
That's if you know how to to do it. A lot of us have never done it nor own a bleeder bottle. This DIY can be done by anyone who can jack up the car and remove tires.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:38 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
Looks great! Thanks for all the info on products used was thinking of doing this to mine soon in the future - the hard part is deciding on color - silver, red or yellow.

Heres that writeup for caliper painting for anyone interested - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-today-2.html

Last edited by socialpro; 10-28-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:53 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
I love mine!

Old 10-28-2012, 06:11 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
I love mine!

WOW! looks REALLY good -- what color are your wheels, dolphin grey or matte black? I got same wheels in Matte black on Silver 997. Leaning towards RED paint (safe bet) -- or try a little something different and go with Yellow As I really love how that contrasts against the darker wheels. I take it the paint looks like it is holding up really well!

GREAT writeup BTW -- now just gotta find some time to get it done!

Last edited by socialpro; 10-28-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:21 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
the wheels ate gunmetal in satin finish. the calipers have some time now and they look like the day I painted them. I did the same on my 996 and after 4 years they looked like new... granted, I don't track my car...

Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 AM
dansaenz is infamous around these parts
Joe, What kind of lug nuts are those? I need to replace my rusty OEM ones and haven't found the right ones yet...

Old 10-30-2012, 02:24 AM
those are special lugs that came with the wheels... you can either paint your original nuts (easy) or replace them with titanium ones (pricey)

Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Great looking job !! Newly painted calipers make a world of difference and make it look so clean.