997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Torn - Swap Push Button Steering Wheel for Paddled Wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:19 PM
jeffreyjames is infamous around these parts
Torn - Swap Push Button Steering Wheel for Paddled Wheel?

Driving a 2010 911 S, Right after I bought it 6 months ago, I paid $800 for a Porsche steering wheel with paddles to swap it out. For one reason or another I never got around to doing the install of the new wheel. Now I'm kinda liking cruising down 95 up and downshifting with one hand.

On the other hand, there is something really nice about flapping the paddles.. I know it's all personal, but wondering about others thoughts on the matter.. What would you do?

Old 11-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Ian c2 is infamous around these parts
I modded my car with wheels spacers I already owned within 24 hours of owning it ....

The paddle wheel followed as soon as it was delivered about a week later.

I consider it an essential mod on pdk cars .....

Old 11-03-2012, 09:52 AM
jeffreyjames is infamous around these parts
That's what I'm thinking..

Originally Posted by Ian c2
I modded my car with wheels spacers I already owned within 24 hours of owning it ....

The paddle wheel followed as soon as it was delivered about a week later.

I consider it an essential mod on pdk cars .....

Old 11-03-2012, 02:23 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
The paddle wheel looks a lot better, but if you dont need the paddles and you like the multifunction wheel then maybe you should just sell the wheel. I've gotten used the buttons.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:05 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
PAG is different and sets trends. Sometimes they succumb to me-too 'trends' and follows them, thus the paddle option.

For me (and others) the dual redundant buttons have many advantages among which:

1 - shift with either button in a consistent manner

2 - shift without confusion mid-turn

3 - ergonomic/uncluttered design. Paddles and intermingle with other steering wheel stalks.

Note: to those who object to (2) above telling me that shifting mid-corner is bad practice... I reply: it would to be bad practice with other transmissions. PDK excels at shifting mid-corner under trail-braking seamlessly. In fact, in D mode, modern dual clutch transmissions do that routinely. No problem to downshift mid-corner with redundant buttons, but confusing with reverse-positioned paddles.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:23 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
I like the paddle wheel; had it installed about 3 months after getting my CPO C4S; used a holiday coupon to get a discount. Paddles are best in sport mode; less reactive in normal mode compared to floor shifter. When I tracked my C4S sport plus mode was wonderful (left it in auto).

Old 11-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Some would say pdk and paddles where designed to go hand-in-hand and the stupid buttons are only there to cater for existing tiptronic users and one armed people

Talking of mid-turn shifts ....
that was a big problem for me when my car had the buttons ......
Originally Posted by adias
PAG is different and sets trends. Sometimes they succumb to me-too 'trends' and follows them, thus the paddle option.

For me (and others) the dual redundant buttons have many advantages among which:

1 - shift with either button in a consistent manner

2 - shift without confusion mid-turn

3 - ergonomic/uncluttered design. Paddles and intermingle with other steering wheel stalks.

Note: to those who object to (2) above telling me that shifting mid-corner is bad practice... I reply: it would to be bad practice with other transmissions. PDK excels at shifting mid-corner under trail-braking seamlessly. In fact, in D mode, modern dual clutch transmissions do that routinely. No problem to downshift mid-corner with redundant buttons, but confusing with reverse-positioned paddles.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:31 PM
DallasDave is infamous around these parts
Coming from e-gear (Lamborghini) and SMG (BMW), I had my paddle wheel installed within a week of vehicle purchase. It is enjoyable to use and provides the engagement with the vehicle I need.

Install of the wheel is very inexpensive so if you already own the wheel, you could install it, but switch back to the original wheel if it isn't what you were expecting.

Dave

Old 11-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I've done it both ways on two cars. Currently have the paddles on my GTS. The only time I don't like it is if I am trying to shift coming out of a corner. It can be a bit of an issue trying to get my fingers on the paddle. I didn't have that issue with the buttons.

I never really thought I'd miss the multi function wheel's buttons. However, as soon as I took it off I found that I did miss the ability to answer a call with the button on the wheel. Really not a big deal.

If you have the wheel put it on and try it. It's easy to go back.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:47 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Some would say pdk and paddles where designed to go hand-in-hand and the stupid buttons are only there to cater for existing tiptronic users and one armed people ...
Yes, some would say that... and some others just think different than the masses.

And neither I or those I know who see the wisdom/benefits of the PDK redundant buttons ever driven/owned tiptronic cars or are one-armed people.

Talking of mid-turn shifts ....
that was a big problem for me when my car had the buttons ......
I suppose you have not learned from Sir Stirling Moss about light touch steering wheel holding... Good driving is all about light touch, finesse and smoothness. Again some think different.

Last edited by adias; 11-05-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:10 PM
You mentioned a racing driver.
you win.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 PM
mxp
mxp is infamous around these parts
sport design wheel with alu paddles is the way to go .... had a panamera service loaner with the buttons and it annoyed the crap out of me

Old 11-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Another option is going with the TechArt paddle conversion if you have a multifunction wheel with heat. Sharkwerks sells it and it doesn't look too bad to install. The front buttons are still on the wheel after the conversion but they are defeated. The paddles are black.

I may sell my paddle wheel and go this route.