997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anybody have problems with Cupholder compartment not closing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Franky Knuckles is infamous around these parts
Anybody have problems with Cupholder compartment not closing?

This has been a pain in the *** but the compartment that you push to access the cupholders won't close...any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

Attached Images  

Last edited by Franky Knuckles; 11-03-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:02 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
make sure the cup holder itself is closed to the smallest point first.
In other words, open the cup holder, close the ring part to the smallest part, then push it in. Outer door should close.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:01 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
I don't have trouble with the door closing, but sometimes I have to dig out the driver side holder from its stowed position. Minor inconvenience.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Took mine out and freed up the small metal shaft, located in the center of the back side of the cup holder frame, that sticks out of a small slot in the frame. Based on it's location it appears to be the actuator for the catch that holds/releases the door in the closed/open position. When I close mine I push on the center of the door itself, not the outside edges, to get it to stay closed. Solved the problem for me. Didn't lube it at the time but in retrospect think a very little bit of lub spray in the slot where the shaft is wouldn't hurt.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:30 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Cupholders are a weak point. I agree with the Germans, sportscars don't need cupholders.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
dead center small spine on the door flap itself is susceptible to cracking. Even a micro crack will keep it from closing.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Yea normally I close it by lightly pushing it closed by the sides, however that's not working nor is closing it by the center. The cupholders are completely closed to its smallest opening point.

Maybe I'll swing by Advanced auto parts and ask about any kind of lube spray....but I'm not even able to tell what should be sprayed based on the way it looks I was expecting to see some kind of magnet or something that keeps it closed?

Very minor problem indeed, but it just feels like I have an expensive Armani suit on except my fly is wide open and the zipper is broke lol......

Old 11-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
When trying to close it, does it hang open partially?

Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM
When trying to close it it hangs open all the way, basically like how it looks in the pic above. It doesn't seem to be catching onto to whatever it normally does.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 PM
See pic. If the little tab pointed to by the blue pen has a horizontal hairline crack (near impossible to see just looking at it) it won't stay closed. Pen is pointing a little higher than where the crack usually develops. I tried every type glue to fix mine when it broke. Had to replace it in the end. But was under warranty.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Steve997S; 11-04-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Hey Steve was it under factory warranty or a CPO warranty? I have a CPO warranty but not sure if it covers these minor types of things?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Franky Knuckles
Hey Steve was it under factory warranty or a CPO warranty? I have a CPO warranty but not sure if it covers these minor types of things?
Mine was normal warranty but CPO just extends the warranty (I believe)

Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Franky Knuckles
Yea normally I close it by lightly pushing it closed by the sides, however that's not working nor is closing it by the center. The cupholders are completely closed to its smallest opening point.

Maybe I'll swing by Advanced auto parts and ask about any kind of lube spray....but I'm not even able to tell what should be sprayed based on the way it looks I was expecting to see some kind of magnet or something that keeps it closed?

Very minor problem indeed, but it just feels like I have an expensive Armani suit on except my fly is wide open and the zipper is broke lol......
WD40 should work but you need to remove the whole mechanism to get to the spot where the slot is. Cup holder frame is held in by two torx screws located on the sides that are only visible when the door is open and the cupholders are stowed. Whole thing comes out in one piece. Worth trying and if it doesn't call Suncoast and order a new one. R/R will take you less than 5 minutes.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 PM
chudso is infamous around these parts
CPO should cover it..... Let the dealership deal with it. I had my cup holder replaced twice. I think it was because I didn't realize they could be locked into place after opened.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
With 3D printers coming along nicely, some day we will be able to just print out our own black nylon plastic parts...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody have problems with Cupholder compartment not closing?