997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

is a Fleet, rental and/or lease use record(s) a bad thing on a carfax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:23 PM
luckyc27 is infamous around these parts
is a Fleet, rental and/or lease use record(s) a bad thing on a carfax?

Hi everyone,

well, I'm still looking trying to find my 09 c2s; however I found one that has exactly everything I'm looking for but there 2 issues with it.

1. on the carfax it says the car was a fleet,rental or lease car from the previous owner (its a 1 car owner history by the way)

2. for some reason, there no other shops that work on P-cars or other P-dealership around the area (baton rouge, LA) so I could do a PPI.

the car is 2009, 24k miles on it, it will be a CPO, but those are my 2 main concerns, not being able to do a PPI and the rental/lease history on the carfax since urban legend on a lease car is the previous owner didnt took car of it since he knew he was never gonna own it.

so, should I still consider buying it because I have the CPO warranty or should just move on and keep looking?

thanks

Old 11-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Jonhunt is infamous around these parts
I sometimes help buyers purchase a car through auctions. My buyer has been doing this for about 20 years. He has no problems with lease cars, but he would never buy a car for a customer that had been used as a rental. A leased car may have had a couple of regular drivers, but a rental will have had hundreds and some of those would almost certainly have been abusive.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:33 PM
right, totally true, but how would I know ? should I ask the dealership for records/info about the previous owner??

Old 11-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Jonhunt is infamous around these parts
It never hurts to ask. It should be fine with CPO. They may not give you the owner's name, but they might be able to confirm whether it was leased to an individual or it could have been a corporate executive lease.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:27 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Call the local dealership and see if they have been servicing the car. Sometimes they'll tell you the service history and let you know if anything has been replaced and whether the scheduled service has been done. It really doesn't matter if your the second or third or even fourth owner/driver. The only thing that matters is the condition of the car and the maintenance history. Good luck.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:44 AM
Wanderingwheelz is infamous around these parts
I'd also take a good look at the exterior. A car that was leased, for example, probably followed trucks closer than a car that was owned. You can almost be certain it was never clayed or quite possibly even waxed. My experience is you see more nicks, dings, and scratches on a leased car. Look at the edge of the drivers door by the handle. I think missing paint there is a key way to tell how well the precious owner cared for the car. Also, scuffs in the door transition is another good tell. Owners lift their feet carefully when getting in and out, as I'm sure many on here would attest.

Last edited by Wanderingwheelz; 11-13-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 PM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
As long as the car checks out ok then it shouldn't be a problem. I bought mine as a lease return a year ago. The car is pretty much flawless other than the expected stone chips on the hood.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Goldduster is infamous around these parts
Many people lease cars rather than purchase them. This allows them to only pay for the portion of the car that they actually use without having the risk of its value when it comes off lease or want to lease it for tax purposes. Many times the car was originally sold by the same dealer it was turned in to and they are familiar with how it was driven and cared for. I haven't hesitated to buy an "off-lease" car and have been happy with them. A daily rental is a whole different story, although many people have been happy with them, but at much greater risk. Yes - I also recommend getting it with CPO.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 PM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
Lease is fine - rental no way. I would be surprised if a rental was in its history, not many 911's out there t rent unless from a high end agency.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 PM
ok, so I asked them and also on the carfax it says it was a "personal lease".

I think I'm ready to call them and negotiate a price and pull the trigger (if everything goes well).

what do you guys think I should ask for? since it seems I might not be able to do a PPI since theres no other p-shops around the area neither other p-dealerships nearby.

I thought about asking them for:

1. dme report (since its a manual tran)
2. the CPO checklist inspection
3. newer pictures (since Im in Socal and the car is in Lousiana)

anything else I should consider asking them??

thanksss

Old 11-14-2012, 12:28 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
buying a rental car is a lot like marrying a hooker. you dont know how many people have been inside of there and you have to ignore the cigarette burns.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 PM
yeah, but this one was a "personal lease" not a rental.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
See if you can find out who the person was who leased it and call them if you can.

A turned in lease car is sometimes less risky than buying an owned car that was traded in or sold after only a couple years. A person leasing a car knows he/she will have to pay costs to refurb or repair the car at turn in. A person trading it in or selling it outright doesn't have that obligation.

I bought my last motorcycle long distance, and it was fine. Louisiana is prone to flooding in some areas, though, so be aware of that when asking questions.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 PM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
A leased car is no different than a car from someone who finances. If it checks out and the price is right - buy it.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Mark Harris is infamous around these parts
I haven't seen 911's in Budget's rental fleet lately. FWIW back when Ford owned Hertz and Volvo I went against my own conventional wisdom and purchased a S80 rental return. It was CPO'ed and had a couple little issues that were fixed under warranty.

10 years later we still have it and it is my winter beater with 98K miles on it. Out of warranty the only $ spent has been a $400 alternator.

A bunch of guys were probably in this hooker but none of them burned her seat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is a Fleet, rental and/or lease use record(s) a bad thing on a carfax?