997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

3rd radiator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
ECS,

Our kit includes all of the parts you are showing in the diagrams. We do not include coolant in our kit, but we have it listed separately on the site if anyone needs it.

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 11-14-2012, 12:38 PM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Just a novice question: If you do not have the Front Bumper of the GTS or the Aerokit installed, where does the hot air escape, after passing through the center radiator on a regular 997.1?

In other words, does it make sense to upgrade with a center radiator on a stock 997.1?

Yves
The center radiator bracket directs air downward, so you'll want to cut vents out of the bottom of your bumper, like the Tiptronic bumper has.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JB in AR
Suncoast offers a bolt in Genuine Porsche Parts third radiator kit advertised with all hardware needed for installation for $300.00 less than yours at ECS Tuning. I KNOW 2 liters of anti-freeze can't account for all of that difference. What am I missing, and/or why is your kit so much more? If there's a reason for the price difference that I should be aware of, then please fill me in, so I and anyone else considering this upgrade can be an informed customer.

I'm not putting anyone down for their pricing, but $300.00 is a huge difference between the two kits.

Thanks.
The Suncoast kit contains all the parts necessary to install the radiator. There are no other parts required with the exception of coolant. A US gallon, 3.8 Liters, of coolant from Suncoast runs just under $ 30 if memory serves so that makes 2 liters worth about $ 14.00. I only used about half but doesn't hurt to have a little extra on hand. As for the price differential, in a free market society businesses can charge what ever they feel their customers will pay. As a disclaimer I am not associated with Suncoast in any way other than as a satisfied customer. Excellence deserves recognition.

Last edited by Dadio; 11-14-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:17 PM
speedphreek is a jewel in the roughspeedphreek is a jewel in the roughspeedphreek is a jewel in the rough
So this mod does nothing without a new thermo?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:30 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
It does. It adds 20 lbs or so to the empty weight of the car. Suggest you also update the thermostat with a lower temp model if you run in hot weather a lot.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:45 PM
speedphreek is a jewel in the roughspeedphreek is a jewel in the roughspeedphreek is a jewel in the rough
Thanks hroussard. Where can I source one and why wouldn't they have put this on the car to begin with?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:38 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
there is lots of good information on this if you do a search.
One thing you need to know, an engine really needs to be running around 180 degrees to be efficient so that's why these thermostats are designed for that temp. Again if you are in hot climates and you sit in start-stop traffic a lot, the cooling system is marginally, hence the old needle swinging up to 200 etc. Bear in mind that the temp needle on a Porsche is actually working that means, it is a representation of the actual temp. In most cars, it's just an idiot light that does not change unless there is something really going wrong. This is to prevent people hitting the dealerships for "free service" as the gauge is too high and the engine must run too hot. I think that is why we, Porsche nuts, eye that gauge up much more then any other driver type. There is lots of coolant plumbing, the engine hangs in the back, heat is difficult to evacuate etc etc. You can buy these thermostats from some of the sponsors of this forum. Fun and games!

Old 11-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the info I did some reading and my understanding is that the stock thermo regulates temp to keep it close to optimum operating temp while running so adding a 3rd rad won't lower normal operating temp since the thermo controls that. But if you run into situations that exceed the systems' ability e.g. trackdays in fla. having a third rad will increase the cooling capacity of the entire system.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Yep, that's about all there is to it...except the fact that you should not use actual WATER in the coolant system.. as someone else said, you will need some Porsche coolant to fill up the system. Oh, and "burping" the system is a biaaatch and might need to be done over several sittings to completely get the air out of that system, remember it has a lot of piping etc. And, while you are at it, do check the other radiators and make sure there is no debris blocking the airflow. If you have not done that yet, it's time to check that. That's where you are going to find that baseball that was missing and perhaps that g-string too... you never know.. :-)

Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Z00mie is infamous around these parts
Question

I recently installed the Suncoast kit and it is very complete. THANKS SUNCOAST!!! I've hit a snag though. I can't seem to get my Airlift to pull a vacuum on the system!?! I've checked the connections, both on the car and the Airlift. I can't find a leak though. Does one need to pinch off an overflow or close a valve? I've read the service manual and can't find anything. When I try to vacuum the system down the airlift spits coolant and releases pressure but will not pull the system down more than 5-7 lbs then just levels off. Suggestions???

Last edited by Z00mie; 11-15-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:16 PM
I only see a black valve at the back of the reservior tank at the fill point, not a traditional overflow like on most other vehicles. Where is it located? What does it look like?

Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Double post. Sorry!

Last edited by Z00mie; 11-15-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:03 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Still can't wait for next week to see which vendor will have a sale on this radiator kit.

I have a C4S and I really need to either control the temperature or replace my lead foot. hahahah

Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 PM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by speedphreek
I purchased the kit from suncoast for my c4s and it arrived yesterday I'll probably have it installed by the dealership this weekend. I was just wondering if this will have any effect on my CPO/warranty ?
I use to have it on my Carrera and Porsche never said anything on many service visits. It's also standard on some hot climate market like Dubai.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
If you are not tracking the car on a regular basis then doing the 160 degree thermostat will keep the water and oil temps down at a much cheaper expense.

I did the 3rd rad and lower stat on my C2S but I tracked the car 6-8 times a year. It did help put quite a bit.

The biggest PITA was getting the air out of the system. What helped a lot of getting it a full as possible then add in 1 bottle of Redline Water Wetter. That speed the process up a lot! The air just started to come out at a much faster rate.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 3rd radiator