997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

3rd radiator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 05:33 AM
Riccardog is infamous around these parts
Guys, were are you buying the 160 deg thermo from? I assume its not a Porsche part?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Riccardog
Guys, were are you buying the 160 deg thermo from? I assume its not a Porsche part?
LN Engineering makes this. There are some differences of opinion so do a search before you spend the $$

Old 11-18-2012, 07:07 PM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
I just got a complete 160 deg thermostat (the Motorad 460 160) for less then $50. It is identical to the one from LN Engineering.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:01 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
I am wondering why Porsche engineeered the 997 to have the much higher thermostate instead of the 160.

I'll search the forum tomorrow --- after I bill-pay my expenses this month!

I ordered the 3rd radiator kit 2 days ago so I could have something to do this coming 4-day weekend.

I might as well try to do the "Home Depot" style grill while the bumber is off.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:35 PM
micouremo is infamous around these parts
I am considering the 3rd radiator and was wondering if you have to install the open grille that comes with the kit. I currently have my laser/radar pieces concealed in the stock black plastic piece in front of where the 3rd radiator would go. I would assume the vents that allow air to reach the radiators assist in the cooling process and Im curious if installing the 3rd radiator without allowing the airflow defeats the purpose. Share your thoughts. Thanks

Old 04-03-2013, 04:49 AM
AP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really nice
I bought this kit from Suncoast and i noticed i was leaking coolant.
it was a manufacturer defect from Porsche and i sent the kit back to Suncoast.
Coolant was leaking directly from the radiator not the hoses.
they said they will have the kit "tested" and see if they can give me a new one..

I still lost alot of money of Labor and shipping.
i put it on, took it off, then when the new one comes i have to put on and take off again.

Coolant wasn't cheap since i bought from the dealer at that time but this time I'll order online..

Old 04-03-2013, 06:21 AM
plantagenet is infamous around these parts
How much are we talking to do an install give or take?

Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 AM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by micouremo
I am considering the 3rd radiator and was wondering if you have to install the open grille that comes with the kit. I currently have my laser/radar pieces concealed in the stock black plastic piece in front of where the 3rd radiator would go. I would assume the vents that allow air to reach the radiators assist in the cooling process and Im curious if installing the 3rd radiator without allowing the airflow defeats the purpose. Share your thoughts. Thanks
I'm not sure which parts you are referring to. In the first diagram below, the "stock black plastic piece" is #3. When installing the center radiator, that plastic piece is removed and then the parts shown in the second diagram are installed. You've also got to cut open the square cut-outs in the undercar surface of the bumper to allow the air flow to exit after passing through the center radiator. The stock side radiators aren't affected (other than the hose connections).

Attached Images   
Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
It will be significantly less effective if you install it without the correct ducting. I would think you still be able to mount the laser jammers at the top of the inlet (perhaps even attached to the ducting), where they would remain out of sight and out of harms way. For more information on the complete kit for the 997.1 and coolant CLICK HERE.

Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by micouremo
The additional radiator will be totally ineffective without the opening in the bumper.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jabed92694
I was also thinking of the same upgrade. Seems like it can't hurt but unless you track the car, is is really worth it?

Hell no. If it needed a 3rd radiator the cool engineers a Porsche would of given you one. Don't get caught up in all the hype.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:53 PM
micouremo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by alpine-al
I'm not sure which parts you are referring to. In the first diagram below, the "stock black plastic piece" is #3. When installing the center radiator, that plastic piece is removed and then the parts shown in the second diagram are installed. You've also got to cut open the square cut-outs in the undercar surface of the bumper to allow the air flow to exit after passing through the center radiator. The stock side radiators aren't affected (other than the hose connections).
Guys, thanks for the replies. I am talking about the #3 piece. Ill get into my bumper this weekend and see where those pieces are actually mounted. There are holes cut in piece #3 where the radar/laser components are hidden but they are probably mounted to somewhere else. But Im glad I know that piece has to be removed for an effective 3rd radiator. Thanks again

Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Hell no. If it needed a 3rd radiator the cool engineers a Porsche would of
given you one. Don't get caught up in all the hype.
Those would be the same people that brought you the IMS bearing.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alan C.
had me falling out of my bed.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 PM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Alan C.
Exactly!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 3rd radiator