997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

3rd radiator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
3rd radiator

I've decided to get a third radiator for my 997.1 prior to the hot summer months next year. I don't track the car, but I'd like to stay on the safe side and preserve the engine. My Q's are as follows:

1. How many installation labor hours should I anticipate for the install by my technician, who said that this will be his first #3 radiator installation?

2. I've sourced a kit from SunCoast for around $250.00 plus shipping. Is this price a good deal for the entire kit? (Seems to be, but if there are other good quality kits out there at a better price, then I'd consider it, since I squeak when I walk...)

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Just installed the Suncoast kit a few weeks ago and the bulk of the install time is spent removing and reinstalling the front bumper. The radiator itself is pretty simple. If your tech is Porsche savy I'm thinking 3 hours or so. If he's not, the link below is an excellent DYI on the process. To simplify the bumper R/R I removed both front wheels. Next biggest issue is burping the coolant system after the install is complete. If you installer has a Uview Airlift it will greatly simplify the process of refilling and burping the system.

As for the price of the kit, you will not find it much cheaper and their kit is complete. You will need a gallon of the Porsche coolant to refill the system

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...carrera-s.html

Last edited by Dadio; 11-12-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
I was also thinking of the same upgrade. Seems like it can't hurt but unless you track the car, is is really worth it?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
keep in mind will take 2-3 days till all the air is out of the system & you might have to keep refilling it...

Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Thanks for your input, guys. I'll be ordering next week with a followup order for the center grill from Zunsport to finish it all off. My preferred technicians here in Little Rock at "Perfection Plus" are porsche enthusiasts, are reasonable in their time and charges, and do great work. They just haven't done THIS particular mod. They do all of our services, and I'm confident they have the skills and tools to figure it all out. Looks like a pretty simple bolt on install.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:15 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jabed92694
I was also thinking of the same upgrade. Seems like it can't hurt but unless you track the car, is is really worth it?
I got it to reduce excessive oil operating temps in the summer and it's doing just that. The other issue that has been corrected is temp recovery time after spirited driving. Prior to the install recovery would be very slow if at all in the summer after full throttle high speed runs. Now the system recovers very quickly. Should have been standard on the 3.8 AWD cars from the get go in my opinion.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Riccardog is infamous around these parts
This is a mod I too have been considering doing for exactly the same reasons highlighted by Dadio above.

Last edited by Riccardog; 11-13-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
We offer a kit that includes everything needed, plus the mounting bracket, coolant, and the bumper trim. This will make sure your new radiator is stable and look professionally done when complete.

Our kit includes:

• Center radiator
  • Mounting bracket with bushings, bolts, and speed nuts
  • Air duct with trim for front bumper
  • Intake and return hoses for radiator
  • Two liters of Porsche coolant
For more information on the kits we offer Click Here

Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
We offer a kit that includes everything needed, plus the mounting bracket, coolant, and the bumper trim. This will make sure your new radiator is stable and look professionally done when complete.

Our kit includes:

• Center radiator
  • Mounting bracket with bushings, bolts, and speed nuts
  • Air duct with trim for front bumper
  • Intake and return hoses for radiator
  • Two liters of Porsche coolant
For more information on the kits we offer Click Here

Suncoast offers a bolt in Genuine Porsche Parts third radiator kit advertised with all hardware needed for installation for $300.00 less than yours at ECS Tuning. I KNOW 2 liters of anti-freeze can't account for all of that difference. What am I missing, and/or why is your kit so much more? If there's a reason for the price difference that I should be aware of, then please fill me in, so I and anyone else considering this upgrade can be an informed customer.

I'm not putting anyone down for their pricing, but $300.00 is a huge difference between the two kits.

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 AM
speedphreek is a jewel in the roughspeedphreek is a jewel in the roughspeedphreek is a jewel in the rough
I purchased the kit from suncoast for my c4s and it arrived yesterday I'll probably have it installed by the dealership this weekend. I was just wondering if this will have any effect on my CPO/warranty ?

Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JB in AR

I'm not putting anyone down for their pricing, but $300.00 is a huge difference between the two kits.

Thanks.
Exactly my thought....but I did not want to sound too embarrassing

Yves

Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
It will not lower your coolant temperature perse. Your thermostat will determine at what temperature it will allow coolant to flow through the radiators. I would suggest to change your thermostat out for a unit that opens up at a lower temp.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
We have plenty fo these kits in stock and ready to ship. Let me know if there are any questions you may have.

Originally Posted by speedphreek
I purchased the kit from suncoast for my c4s and it arrived yesterday I'll probably have it installed by the dealership this weekend. I was just wondering if this will have any effect on my CPO/warranty ?

Since our kit is Genuine Porsche I do not see you running into any issues with warranty. I would certainly consult your service adviser beforehand, but we have never heard of any cases where warranty was declined because of this upgrade.

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Suncoast offers a bolt in Genuine Porsche Parts third radiator kit advertised with all hardware needed for installation for $300.00 less than yours at ECS Tuning. I KNOW 2 liters of anti-freeze can't account for all of that difference. What am I missing, and/or why is your kit so much more? If there's a reason for the price difference that I should be aware of, then please fill me in, so I and anyone else considering this upgrade can be an informed customer.

Thanks.
The kit they offer doesn't specifically say what's included in their kit, so I can't speak for them, but their pictures do not show a radiator bracket, or the front bumper trim which surrounds the air inlet. Maybe someone who's purchased one can chime in about what's included. I'm curious as to what they use to hold the radiator in place. The bracket in question is number 2 and 3 in this picture (as well as all related hardware): Our kit includes everything that is pictured here expect the for the side radiators (#12). Shown below.

The trim in question is number #3 in the picture shown below.

On cars without the center radiator, this inlet is blocked off. On center radiator cars, this piece is a bezel with an open center. The purpose is to make your car look factory, instead of looking like something is missing from your bumper. Of course, you could cut the center out of your original piece, but replacing it with the correct trim is a big time-saver. Lastly, our kit does include coolant, which will be needed regardless of whose kit you buy.

Last edited by ECS Tuning - Porsche; 11-14-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:33 PM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Just a novice question: If you do not have the Front Bumper of the GTS or the Aerokit installed, where does the hot air escape, after passing through the center radiator on a regular 997.1?

In other words, does it make sense to upgrade with a center radiator on a stock 997.1?

Yves

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 3rd radiator