997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

One off check engine light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Riccardog is infamous around these parts
One off check engine light

I don't use my 997 very often, in fact, when I know I won't be using it for more than a couple of weeks I even disconnect the battery so it doesn't go flat.

I used it again last Friday, after about 10 days of having stood. It started fine (cranks a few seconds, as usual). I pulled out a few feet out of my parking space and the check engine light & message came on along with the faint beep. Not even a minute later, when I got back into the car (having closed the garage door), the light was off. Its not come back since and I have not felt anything wrong with the engine.

Is this just a small glitch, perhaps caused by a voltage drop just after starting the car having stood a while? Or could it be some fault developing?

Kind of annoying as in the last few months having used the car after 3 or 4 weeks of it standing I've had:

- Stereo amplifier died
- Exhaust clamp come loose
- Driver front sidelight died
- Engine check light

All minor issues and unrelated, of course.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
You need to use it more often. Porsche cars are designed to be driven on a daily basis, not mothballed in garages.

Any mechanic will tell you that cars will wear out faster if you do not drive them. Car collectors (with large collection) have usually crews to maintain and run each car on a regular basis.

Just enjoy it, as long as you can and have it. And if you cannot enjoy it, just allow someone else to do it for you.

Yves

Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Could be a glitch. Consider using a battery maintainer instead of disconnecting it every time. Most have adapters to plug into the cigarette lighter outlet.

I use this one with the cig adpater: http://batterytender.com/battery-ten...-at-1-25a.html

Old 11-13-2012, 12:11 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Riccardog
I don't use my 997 very often, in fact, when I know I won't be using it for more than a couple of weeks I even disconnect the battery so it doesn't go flat.

I used it again last Friday, after about 10 days of having stood. It started fine (cranks a few seconds, as usual). I pulled out a few feet out of my parking space and the check engine light & message came on along with the faint beep. Not even a minute later, when I got back into the car (having closed the garage door), the light was off. ...
That happens when the battery is disconnected. Sometimes there's enough charge stored in power supply capacitors and that does not happen. A battery should not be disconnected; use a
quality battery maintainer quality battery maintainer
instead.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Unfortunately there is no way to connect a battery conditioner / maintainer as its a 'remote' garage (think Fast & Furious films, the one in Japan where they have the cars being "delivered" by an elevator and you get the idea).

Logically if I could drive it more often I would! But the car is 1000mi away in another country so I don't get to enjoy it as much as I'd like to.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Perhaps there's enough light in the storage facility to use a solar powered battery maintainer? http://batterytender.com/products/solar.html

Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 PM
I hate being a constant "downer"... but its 3 floors underground...

Old 11-13-2012, 01:30 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Perhaps you could get a small generator (Honda = quiet) and put it on a timer if that can be done, like one hour a day. Lock the doors of the Porsche so as to eliminate most of the battery drain. I am interested in hearing how you solved this problem.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Again, thanks for your reply.

Just to explain, the garage is accessed by an elevator, you type in a code and then the elevator takes the car to its location underground (its a bit like pigeon holes actually). As a user all you get to interact with is the elevator and the kepad, after that it all happens out of view and there is no way to access the car.

Anyways, it would seem that the potential cause for the random engine check light may have been a low battery. At least I have fitted winter tyres, so I an drive it through the winter, I'll just have to make sure to make plenty of trips to Italy (where its kept).

Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
That's high-tech for you! Sounds to me you are up sh*tcreek without a paddle. I think you need to hire a valet :-)

Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by hroussard
That's high-tech for you! Sounds to me you are up sh*tcreek without a paddle. I think you need to hire a valet :-)
Bingo! I hadn't thought of the valet scenario...

Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Banned
OK, how about a second battery at home on a battery maintainer to always have a fresh one ready? Then swap batteries when picking up your car and take the not-so-fresh one home to recharge for the next time, problem solved!

Old 11-13-2012, 10:08 PM
BigEd is infamous around these parts
Or after reading the thing about using the headlights to grow weed, maybe you can get the solar charger and leave the lights on to keep the battery charged.

Second batt sounds like a plan. Hope it works out for you.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by semicycler
OK, how about a second battery at home on a battery maintainer to always have a fresh one ready? Then swap batteries when picking up your car and take the not-so-fresh one home to recharge for the next time, problem solved!

Nice one! I think this is the best solution for me. Silly not to have thought it before as its what I already do for my other car in London. Also solves the potential issue of the hood not opening in case the battery is too flat.

Thanks Semicycler.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Nah.. a nice 20 year old female valet in mini skirt sounds much better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: One off check engine light