997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

IPD plenum on supercharged 997 3.8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 AM
Hyperseven is infamous around these parts
IPD plenum on supercharged 997 3.8

i would like to ask if there is anybody who has tried using an IPD plenum on a 997 3.8 supercharged engine. Is it so effective as it is on a N/A engine and does it worth buying one for a S/C application.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:38 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hyperseven
i would like to ask if there is anybody who has tried using an IPD plenum on a 997 3.8 supercharged engine. Is it so effective as it is on a N/A engine and does it worth buying one for a S/C application.
Since the intent of supercharging is to pack more fuel mixture into the cylinders anything that facilitated the movement of the air mass would increase the efficiency of the supercharger (IMHO).

Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 AM
In theory for sure it is helpfull but i was looking for someone who really tried and tested this setup

Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 AM
mb230s is infamous around these parts
I doubt it would do much other than make your wallet $900 lighter compared to the massive gains from the supercharger. If it really was significant I bet the companies offering the s.c. conversions would include that as an option and also do the dyno testing. The supercharger is probably already pumping all the air it can - regardless of the plenum.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Banned
IPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond repute
Greetings 6 Speeders,

All of the IPD Plenums deliver great power, but they deliver phenomenal power with any and all forced induction applications, whether it be Turbo or Supercharged. Back in the day we conducted an “Open to the Public” Dyno Day Test Session with a variety of Carreras and Caymans to showcase the performance gains delivered by the IPD Plenums. We had enough time to squeeze in a Supercharged 996 3.4L that day and managed to add 41 HP at the wheels.

Not a bad investment for $900. $22/HP is impressive with any car. We have sold MANY Plenums for Supercharged customers and have heard only positive feedback. All Plenums come with a 100% money back guarantee and I can honestly say that we’ve only had a handful ever returned and NEVER a return from a SC customer. The even better news is that they install and uninstall very easily if you decide to return it for a full money back guarantee.

The other dyno was from a retail customer in Florida who experienced great net gains across the entire power band. He said that he was VERY impressed with the gains and how much stronger his car was after installing the IPD Plenum. BTW, he was a very staunch IPD non-believer before the install.

We typically perform most testing with either NA or Turbo applications so we don't claim any "official" HP gains with SC applications, especially since each SC manufacturer, SC installation and SC car condition vary considerably.

If any VF Supercharged customers are looking for some additional performance they can purchase the Plenums directly through VF. The only questions at this stage is deciding between the 74mm Plenum that utilizes the factory 74mm TB or go bigger with the new 82mm Competition Plenum that requires the larger 997 GT3 TB. Hopefully we’ll get a chance to do some back to back dyno testing with the 2 Plenums at VF in the near future.

Cheers,

IPD Greg

Old 11-15-2012, 12:19 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
That's music to my ears! I am installing a VF S/C and already have your plenum. I was thinking about reinstalling the OEM plenum with the S/C and selling you plenum. I'll keep it on now...

Old 11-15-2012, 01:08 PM
I am very glad that IPD bothered to give us such reference. Do you suggest using the GT3 TB as well?

Old 11-15-2012, 01:23 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute

Which supercharger kit do you have? How many miles has it been on the car? What has your experience been?

Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 PM
The S/C is not installed on the car yet. I have ordered the kit from VF and I consider what other additional parts I can use in order to have the best results possible. Since the car will be at the workshop i will have the chance to install the plenum as well.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 PM
I really recommend headers. They make a big difference.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 PM
The S/C is not installed on the car yet. I have ordered the kit from VF and I consider what other additional parts I can use in order to have the best results possible. Since the car will be at the workshop i will have the chance to install the plenum as well.
When is your VF S/C being installed? I am hoping mine will be in a couple weeks. We will have to exchange notes. I am taking mine in for a base line dyno tomorrow.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Mine too! I guess they will be from the same production! Ofcourse we can exchage notes. I prefer to dyno my car a day before the installation. What headers do you have?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 AM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by IPD Greg
Greetings 6 Speeders,

All of the IPD Plenums deliver great power, but they deliver phenomenal power with any and all forced induction applications, whether it be Turbo or Supercharged. Back in the day we conducted an “Open to the Public” Dyno Day Test Session with a variety of Carreras and Caymans to showcase the performance gains delivered by the IPD Plenums. We had enough time to squeeze in a Supercharged 996 3.4L that day and managed to add 41 HP at the wheels.

Not a bad investment for $900. $22/HP is impressive with any car. We have sold MANY Plenums for Supercharged customers and have heard only positive feedback. All Plenums come with a 100% money back guarantee and I can honestly say that we’ve only had a handful ever returned and NEVER a return from a SC customer. The even better news is that they install and uninstall very easily if you decide to return it for a full money back guarantee.

The other dyno was from a retail customer in Florida who experienced great net gains across the entire power band. He said that he was VERY impressed with the gains and how much stronger his car was after installing the IPD Plenum. BTW, he was a very staunch IPD non-believer before the install.

We typically perform most testing with either NA or Turbo applications so we don't claim any "official" HP gains with SC applications, especially since each SC manufacturer, SC installation and SC car condition vary considerably.

If any VF Supercharged customers are looking for some additional performance they can purchase the Plenums directly through VF. The only questions at this stage is deciding between the 74mm Plenum that utilizes the factory 74mm TB or go bigger with the new 82mm Competition Plenum that requires the larger 997 GT3 TB. Hopefully we’ll get a chance to do some back to back dyno testing with the 2 Plenums at VF in the near future.

Cheers,

IPD Greg

20Hp power gain with a Plenum???????!!!!!!!!!!!

Please let me know what justification do you give in order for Porsche with their X51 power kit which includes modified cylinder heads, new carbon-fiber air filter casing (upper part), new variable resonance intake manifold with six tuning flaps, sports exhaust system featuring specially designed twin dual-tube tailpipes and modified engine management in order to gain only 23hp, while your company manage to get +20hp power gain only with a piece of metal ???!!!!!

I´m lost here!!!!!! 41Hp gain on a Superchargerd 996 with Plenum!!!!! Did you really wrote 41hp power gain , or was that a typo???

I

Last edited by J.Seven; 11-26-2012 at 09:36 AM.