997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What is the best tire Pilot Sport PS2 or Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 PM
roelricardo is infamous around these parts
What is the best tire Pilot Sport PS2 or Pilot Super Sport

I would like to hear your comments, and experience!!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 PM
sinner911 is infamous around these parts
I have had both tires on multiple M3's and 911's. I am prone to the Super Sport. Very sticky, not too harsh and not as much road noise. That's my two cents....

Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 PM
kiddoutlaw is infamous around these parts
I just picked up the Pilot Super Sport for my 997 C2 and my neighbor picked up the Pilot Sport PS2 for his 997.2 C2S. He said the Pilot Super Sport are the replacement for the Pilot Sport PS2 because they are phasing them out. (Heard this from his dealer) I like the Super Sports because they are rated for 30K miles, the Pilot Sport PS2 only have a 20K rating.....

Old 11-21-2012, 11:19 PM
PHIKEL is infamous around these partsPHIKEL is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kiddoutlaw
I just picked up the Pilot Super Sport for my 997 C2 and my neighbor picked up the Pilot Sport PS2 for his 997.2 C2S. He said the Pilot Super Sport are the replacement for the Pilot Sport PS2 because they are phasing them out. (Heard this from his dealer) I like the Super Sports because they are rated for 30K miles, the Pilot Sport PS2 only have a 20K rating.....
This is the same thing I was told by a dealer and also read it in one of the car rags. I'm running the Super Sport on my 997. Grip is very good, Nice ride, as quite as can be expected. I haven't had them out in freezing temps but not bad in the wet. Hope I do get 30K out of them.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:01 AM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
They are totally different.

Pilot Super Sport is far better than the PS2

Old 11-22-2012, 08:02 AM
roelricardo is infamous around these parts
Thanks for your feedback, looks like P super Sports are the ones on tire rack serveys have 100% points

Old 11-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I'd go for the Super Sports. I've had them on two cars and I have no complaints. My current set have about 7000 miles on them and there is plenty of tread in the rear.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:50 PM
kiddoutlaw is infamous around these parts
Correction to my Post, My neighbor also got the Super Sport, he said the dealer recommended them since the PS2 is getting phased out

Old 11-22-2012, 02:54 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Good article in Motortrend:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...t/viewall.html

"Michelin's in-house testing, performed at the Michelin Technology Center, helped identify six key areas in which the Michelin Pilot Super Sport outperforms its predecessor, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2:

Road-holding on dry surfaces: Tests showed a 1.5-second gain on a 2,700-meter closed-circuit track.
Braking on dry surfaces: When decelerating from 100 km/h to a full stop, braking distance was shortened by 1.5 meters.
Road-holding on wet surfaces: Time was reduced by 2.5 seconds on a 4,100-meter closed-circuit track.
Braking on wet roads: When decelerating from 80 to 10 km/h, braking distance was shortened by 3 meters.
Total mileage on the track: 50% more laps.
Total mileage on the road: 10% greater distance"

Old 11-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Good article in Motortrend:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...t/viewall.html

"Michelin's in-house testing, performed at the Michelin Technology Center, helped identify six key areas in which the Michelin Pilot Super Sport outperforms its predecessor, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2:

Road-holding on dry surfaces: Tests showed a 1.5-second gain on a 2,700-meter closed-circuit track.
Braking on dry surfaces: When decelerating from 100 km/h to a full stop, braking distance was shortened by 1.5 meters.
Road-holding on wet surfaces: Time was reduced by 2.5 seconds on a 4,100-meter closed-circuit track.
Braking on wet roads: When decelerating from 80 to 10 km/h, braking distance was shortened by 3 meters.
Total mileage on the track: 50% more laps.
Total mileage on the road: 10% greater distance"
1.5 seconds is substantial, considering that they're both street tires.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:34 PM
PORSCHEAUDIOLUV is infamous around these parts
There is no way those tires will last 30k miles .
I guess i have to buy a set and see . i will be happy if i get 20k miles somehoe i dount i will gvet more than 10-12k miles on the rears

Old 11-23-2012, 03:41 PM
mjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the rough
Just replaced my PS2 N1s with PS2 N2s. And they are perfect for the 997. More money than Super Sports but the car handling at the limits are very predictable. I suspect that Porsche has not approved Super Sports (N rating) until they have completed their testing.

Last edited by mjsporsche; 11-24-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
Pilot SS mileage

Originally Posted by PORSCHEAUDIO
There is no way those tires will last 30k miles .
I guess i have to buy a set and see . i will be happy if i get 20k miles somehoe i dount i will gvet more than 10-12k miles on the rears
I'm on my 4th set of Pilot Super Sport tires. IIRC, the 30K mile warranty requires regular rotation of all 4 tires. With the staggered fitment on our 911's that's impossible. I think that cuts the warranty in half, down to 15K. Of course, by tracking regularly I don't see anything close to that mileage from a set of tires. They do, however, seem to last longer than the original PS2's that came on my GTS. I corded all 4 of those in my first 3500 miles. (5 track days + 1 autocross - not surprising.)

DMoore
'11 Carrera GTS
'10 Panamera 4S

Old 11-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Put a new set of PSS on my '08 997S. Happy to have PS2s again as they seem to grip better on slippery south Texas roads. PSS has a deeper tread which is 1 reason they last longer

Old 11-24-2012, 07:09 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
Agreed; superb tires, wet or dry, track or street, but 10-12k seems a more reasonable expectation on rears.

Worth every penny.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is the best tire Pilot Sport PS2 or Pilot Super Sport