997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Problems on the way home today....help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
Problems on the way home today....help. Is my engine dying?

Driving home from work my 997.1 4S started to buck/hesitate like i was running at a low RPM while in gear but I was to 25 to 50 miles MPH. Happens when accelerating.

Any Ideas what it could be?

Last edited by Darthvader; 11-26-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Assume no CEL lit or even if so... swing by a national parts store and have them read obdII port (most do this for free). Any codes pending?

Some thoughts otherwise... but purely just guesses:

Assuming manual, could be clutch. How many miles? Simple test, at a low speed i.e. 15-20mph, put car in 5th or 6th and try to accelerate. If the RPMs climb but speed doesn't, that'll be your answer.

Fuel related... Fuel pump/fuel sending unit/fuel filter. Any problems starting recently i.e. crank but no start. Get gas recently?

Was engine ground strap ever replaced?

Not likely but could be DME related. Testing will require dealer or indy w/ PIWIS system.

And as always, first place to look is to go back to any recent work done...

Good luck

Old 11-26-2012, 03:57 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Darthvader
Driving home from work my 997.1 4S started to buck/hesitate like i was running at a low RPM while in gear but I was to 25 to 50 miles MPH. Happens when accelerating.

Any Ideas what it could be?
if it only happens during acceleration, i would think its related to MAF sensor or fuel pump.. but fuel pump is more of a problem with DFI (997.2)

how many miles on it? maybe time for a spark plug change ?

definitely stop driving it and have a mechanic check it out.

keep us posted.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:03 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
from what I've read this could be the fuel pump. Was it a cold engine? Mine just after startup in cold weather will be a little weak on first throttle up...i think it's building up fuel pressure in the system.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
It's down t
A quarter tank so gas must be ok. Clutch seems to be operating normally. It hesitate at a when accelerating from mid range speeds. When I give it some big acceleration there is no hesitation or bucking.

The car has 20000 miles on it. I did remove the ac dash unit to replace the worn temp and fan button this weekend. But it was ok on the way to work. There are no service lights illuminated.

Last edited by Darthvader; 11-26-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:56 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Darth....I had that same issue on my 2006 997.1 at 4,000 miles and I needed a new engine. I'm not saying that that's it but it's how my problem started!

Tom

Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Why did the engine go?

Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
IMS I think! The tech didn't explain it to me and since I got a new engine I was good.

Tom

Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Mine would start bucking out of the blue at 50 or 60 mph....it was weird and it took them awhile to diagnose...they claimed bad gas first and then it just kept on happening and the tech took it home with him and noticed a black build up over the left exhaust pipe.

Tom

Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 PM
No clue what IMS means

Old 11-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Well glad I live in the 15th floor because when I jump I do not want to survive. My last place was two stories.

Originally Posted by tommyv
Darth....I had that same issue on my 2006 997.1 at 4,000 miles and I needed a new engine. I'm not saying that that's it but it's how my problem started!

Tom

Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Intermediate shaft! IMS
http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

Last edited by MYC2SPC; 11-26-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Very well possible that is not your problem!Try and breath....

Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute

Tom
wow, aren't you the bringer of good news..lol

IMS I think! The tech didn't explain it to me and since I got a new engine I was good.

Tom
IMS??? what you described has nothing to do with IMS what so ever!!!

Darth relax- IMS is such a rare occurrence..also way it goes is totally diff, no warning or stalling etc...

Last edited by Tarek307; 11-26-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Tarek307
wow, aren't you the bringer of good news..lol
I had to think hard before I posted but it's exactly what happened with mine.

Tom

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problems on the way home today....help