997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Activating a multifunction steering wheel on 997.2 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Phantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud of
Activating a multifunction steering wheel on 997.2 C2S

I have bought and fitted a multifunction steering wheel on my C2S gen 2 carrera.

The wheel I had was heated and PDK and I have replaced it with a multifunction, pdk, heated wheel.

All of the plugs inside the wheel were the same and once I swapped them over the heating a paddles worked straight away.

I understand that I now need to activate the wheel in PCM via the Durametric?

Does anyone have experience of this and can talk me through it? I know someone with the kit but not completely clear on how to carry out the job?

I'm pretty sure someone on here will have.

Thanks

Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Or you can take it to your local, trusted, well frequented dealership and have your mechanic (who you should know by name, if not face) activate it for you. Quicker and more likely done properly. Assuming, of course, you've been a reliable patron of the dealership for years and they know you support them in normal times, they'll support you when you need it. That's what I would do.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
You replaced a PDK Heated with a PDK Heated MultiFunction?
To add multifunction, all you needed was to add the multifunction panel, not swap the wheel.

If MF wassn't specified, you might need a new steering wheel controller that handles the multifunction stuff, and then the MF features need to be enabled and paired with the PCM/COMPUTER to have them available to configure and use.

Now if you added the new wheel to get PADDLES as well as Multifunction, then there may be a problem as I remember some folks having issues where both paddle shifters and multifunction wasn't able to be combined.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Phantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud of
Minok - that was my short description. I infact bought a PDK multifunction steering wheel and then switch out out the centre of my wheel for the multifunction one whilst keeping the heated wheel.

The connectors under the airbag were exactly the same for both wheels and there was not a control module underneath in the gen 2 so I assumed that the control functions and circuitry are all within the middle section.

Hoping that the PCM activation will be possible. I planned to take it to the local Independant to get the activation done but I wanted to get a better understanding of what's required before I let them loose on the car?

Help please?

Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Or you can take it to your local, trusted, well frequented dealership and have your mechanic (who you should know by name, if not face) activate it for you. Quicker and more likely done properly. Assuming, of course, you've been a reliable patron of the dealership for years and they know you support them in normal times, they'll support you when you need it. That's what I would do.
+1 Always works for me.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Yeah have zero relationship with my dealer as didn't buy the car from them and therefore not been in for anything yet?

Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Phantome46
Hoping that the PCM activation will be possible. I planned to take it to the local Independant to get the activation done but I wanted to get a better understanding of what's required before I let them loose on the car?

Help please?
If you added multifunction, then at a minimum, the steering wheel and/or PCM and/or computer controllers need to be made aware of the multifunction capability and set up - ie activated. Thats an easy and quick thing with a PIWIS.

Worst case, the controller for the steering wheel, which I thin is after the wheel itself, but still up there near the wheel, will need to be upgraded to support multifunction. When I went from my 997.1 style dumb wheel, to the 997.2 multifunction with heating wheel, I needed a new wheel controller because the old one wouldn't support multifunction.

Its doable. Take it to the independent, assuming he has a PIWIS. If he cannot enable the multifunction, it should be obvious quick and I suspect because the steering wheel controller doesn't support it.. which means add a new controller (wheel may have to be removed for this one though).

Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Is the PIWIS programming easy to do?

Old 12-03-2012, 01:48 PM
My dealer tech told me he had no problems at all. I didn't do it. So I assume if the tech is trained well and is competent, they should be able to do it easily. Its likely just a matter of drilling down into controller and PCM/Computer settings and checking a checkbox.