997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche GT3 Recall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche GT3 Recall

Guess I've lived a full life. Porsche just announced a recall. Recall was for the rear wheel hubs on GT3's built between May 2009 and Feb 2011. Porsche stated they are prone to fail. Prone too fail, if they issued recalls for everything that's prone to fail on a 996/997 that'd be up to their necks in recalls. Of course we're talking limited production car in the GT3 but still a recall. Amazing. What's next a Porsche stationwagon ??

Last edited by Dadio; 12-14-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I'm surprised that they would have even used different hubs on the 997 GT3. Why would the wheel hubs need to be different than the non GT 997's? LSD?

Old 12-13-2012, 04:50 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
I wonder if its the same centerlock hubs used on the gts.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:59 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hakaida
I wonder if its the same centerlock hubs used on the gts.
That makes sense, I was thinking 997.1, but if it's 2009 + then that would be 997.2

Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dadio
What's next a Porsche stationwagon ??
was someone looking for me?

Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Banned
Rotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by killacam
was someone looking for me?

haha, what I was thinking....
still isn't as extreme as the CLS Shooting Brake LOL

Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dadio
Guess I've lived a full life. Porsche just announced a recall. Recall was for the rear wheel hubs on GT3's bulit between May 2009 and Feb 2011. Porsche stated they are prone to fail. Prone too fail, if they issued recalls for everything that's prone to fail on a 996/997 that'd be up to their necks in recalls. Of course we're talking limited production car in the GT3 but still a recall. Amazing. What's next a Porsche stationwagon ??
My first Ducati had a recall for the single-sided rear wheel spindle (similar concept). Some spindles showed microscopic cracks, and therefore could fail leaving the rider sliding for dear life across tarmac and who knows what else. Mine checked out good and I was happy Ducati cared enough to consider my safety over profit. As a responsible manufacturer, Porsche chose the correct action. I completely disagree with your perspective and I'm perplexed as to why you chose this angle rather than just report the matter responsibly?

Last edited by Steve997S; 12-13-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve997S
My first Ducati had a recall for the single-sided rear wheel spindle (similar concept). Some spindles showed microscopic cracks, and therefore could fail leaving the rider sliding for dear life across tarmac and who knows what else. Mine checked out good and I was happy Ducati cared enough to consider my safety over profit. As a responsible manufacturer, Porsche chose the correct action. I completely disagree with your perspective and I'm perplexed as to why you chose this angle rather than just report the matter responsibly.
I'm perplexed as to why you believe this was irresponsible.

I believe he suggested the previous 911's had a laundry list of common issues; there were no recalls (that he was involved in), and that it was a rare occurrence, if not unheard of.

Are you suggesting that if manufacturing issues are not an immediate threat to driver safety, that recalls aren't warranted?

Because on one hand - I interpret you saying that Porsche acted responsibly by identifying a possible failure of a component. And on the other, you qualified that action basing it on the importance of safety, and that prior well-known failures that were NOT related to driver safety did not warrant a recall, and was not irresponsible of Porsche.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I thought the recall was going to be because they forgot to put in the back seats!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I'm perplexed as to why you believe this was irresponsible.

I believe he suggested the previous 911's had a laundry list of common issues; there were no recalls (that he was involved in), and that it was a rare occurrence, if not unheard of.

Are you suggesting that if manufacturing issues are not an immediate threat to driver safety, that recalls aren't warranted?

Because on one hand - I interpret you saying that Porsche acted responsibly by identifying a possible failure of a component. And on the other, you qualified that action basing it on the importance of safety, and that prior well-known failures that were NOT related to driver safety did not warrant a recall, and was not irresponsible of Porsche.
Don't interpret, just take it at face value. Porsche acted on a safety issue. Great. Be happy about it. My response had nothing to do with any previous issue, only which Porsche would have the evidence and empirical data to decide the proper courses of action. Public opinion is always for the manufacturer to do more, regardless whether warranted or realistic. That opinion is typically based on a scant understanding of the true scope of the issue. Recalls aren't the only option to correct issues, but are the best solution when safety is a key element.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Don't interpret, just take it at face value. Porsche acted on a safety issue. Great. Be happy about it. My response had nothing to do with any previous issue, only which Porsche would have the evidence and empirical data to decide the proper courses of action. Public opinion is always for the manufacturer to do more, regardless whether warranted or realistic. That opinion is typically based on a scant understanding of the true scope of the issue. Recalls aren't the only option to correct issues, but are the best solution when safety is a key element.
Well, I can't disagree with anything you just mentioned. But it also doesn't explain things in the past that, in hindsight, perhaps should have been recalled, and some feel that Porsche knew more about the issues and chose not to resolve it, because of the costs involved.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
My first Ducati had a recall for the single-sided rear wheel spindle (similar concept). Some spindles showed microscopic cracks, and therefore could fail leaving the rider sliding for dear life across tarmac and who knows what else. Mine checked out good and I was happy Ducati cared enough to consider my safety over profit. As a responsible manufacturer, Porsche chose the correct action. I completely disagree with your perspective and I'm perplexed as to why you chose this angle rather than just report the matter responsibly?
Not my job to report it one way or the other and my post isn't meant to be a report, just my thoughts on it. Reporting it is Porsche's job and it appears they'll be reporting it to everyone who owns one of the GT3's sold during that period. Good for them and I'm sure GT3 owners will want to get their car's repaired before they drive them again given the nature of the issue. And the issue is the wheels may separate from the car at high speed.

As for your disagreeing with me, that's one of the many freedoms we enjoy in America and on sites like this one and I applaud you're taking full advantage of it as I did when a submitted the post.

Last edited by Dadio; 12-14-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jaspergtr

DING! DING! DING! DING!

Yes, that is exactly right. RECALLS are a very specifically defined thing and relate to a safety issue with a vehicle that could cause an accident or harm to the driver/passengers.

Something that breaks that doesn't pose a risk is not a recall item.
Its actually called a 'safety recall'.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...llproblems.cfm

Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Hatzenbach has a spectacular aura aboutHatzenbach has a spectacular aura about
If anyone cares, THIS is how it looks when it fails at 100+ mph on the track. Car went airborne and then landed and then stayed on three wheels (after it jumped the curb). Driver and passenger were shaken but not stirred.
Please note the missing brake rotor (amongst other things).
No, this wasn't my car. It is a professionally maintained GT3 RS
Wheels were always torqued exactly to Porsche's instructions

This was a dedicated track car with a roll cage. Both driver and passenger (both experienced club racers) wore three layer fire suits and HANS devices and were strapped into race seats with 6 pt harnesses.
Imagine this happens during a "spirited" drive...

God am I happy that I have "old school" 5 lug wheels

Attached Images  

Last edited by Hatzenbach; 12-15-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:21 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Mechanical items designed by humans, manufactured by humans, and used by humans are subject to bad design, bad manufacturing processes, and bad use. Be glad there are procedures in place to identify, announce, and fix issues that are directly related to safety.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche GT3 Recall