997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need Advice on Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:54 PM
RichM3 is infamous around these parts
Need Advice on Exhaust

I purchased a 2009 997.2 S back in September and now I'm looking to improve the sound of my S. I have looked at Tubi with the cross-over pipes, Fabspeed including the X-Pipe, AWE-tuning's system and FD motorsports fister exhaust. I am really interested in improving the sound and do not want to sacrifice the performance (ie. lose torque in the process). Obviously, there is a huge price disparity between the cheapest (fister) and the most expensive (Tubi). What is your experience and with these exhausts? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:26 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Same car as you and love the Gundo Hack sound... less than 200 bucks... Do a SEARCH.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:36 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
On my 2009 S I opted for the "cheaper" route for exhaust mods. I chose to do the "Gundo Hack" which is the same as what Fister offers. I eliminated the center muffler by adding a set of AWE cross-over pipes (used but in perfect shape). Total cost: $200 for R&R of the stock mufflers and the hack done by a custom exhaust shop, and if I remember correctly, about $450 for the used crossover pipes, which I installed myself. The result? The perfect no-interior-drone, throaty sounding exhaust that won't **** off the neighborhood and for a lot less than an aftermarket system. Any HP gain? AWE says +10; maybe, maybe not, but the crossover pipes do offer a straighter exhaust path than the stock muffler offered; and absolutely nothing gained from the hack. My only complaint was that I waited so long to take the plunge.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:41 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PTParks
On my 2009 S I opted for the "cheaper" route for exhaust mods. I chose to do the "Gundo Hack" which is the same as what Fister offers. I eliminated the center muffler by adding a set of AWE cross-over pipes (used but in perfect shape). Total cost: $200 for R&R of the stock mufflers and the hack done by a custom exhaust shop, and if I remember correctly, about $450 for the used crossover pipes, which I installed myself. The result? The perfect no-interior-drone, throaty sounding exhaust that won't **** off the neighborhood and for a lot less than an aftermarket system. Any HP gain? AWE says +10; maybe, maybe not, but the crossover pipes do offer a straighter exhaust path than the stock muffler offered; and absolutely nothing gained from the hack. My only complaint was that I waited so long to take the plunge.
Do you have any idea what the sound difference is on the gundo only vs the gundo + straight center pipe?

Old 12-16-2012, 06:07 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cerbomark
Do you have any idea what the sound difference is on the gundo only vs the gundo + straight center pipe?
I have been told but do not have any proof that the stock center muffler doesn't "muffle" much at all. I did the crossover pipes first, and the sound didn't change all that much, which leads me to believe that the center muffler really doesn't do much. The "sound" came when I added the Gundo Hack. Removing the center muffler does shed a few pounds at the rear of the car.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RichM3
I purchased a 2009 997.2 S back in September and now I'm looking to improve the sound of my S. I have looked at Tubi with the cross-over pipes, Fabspeed including the X-Pipe, AWE-tuning's system and FD motorsports fister exhaust. I am really interested in improving the sound and do not want to sacrifice the performance (ie. lose torque in the process). Obviously, there is a huge price disparity between the cheapest (fister) and the most expensive (Tubi). What is your experience and with these exhausts? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
You'll get the deep throaty sound dealing with the side mufflers, whether modding or replacing. X-pipes will give you more volume, but it's raspy, not deep. X-pipes replace the primary muffler, which is not restrictive, so no power increase with aftermarket replacements.

I chose Cargraphic, made in Germany, lifetime warranty, made like a tank (unlike Tubi), and you'll get a great return when you decide to sell. Sounds perfect. Does increase power.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
There are lots of choices. If you can get out and hear a few systems on other 997.2 cars it would be a big benefit. Your location should make the hunt a bit easier.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !

Thanks.
Rich,

Congrats on the car.

There are not too many ways to skin this cat.

Here is my suggestion. Start with a set of cross over pipes. Yes, hopefully ours.

Easy to install, power gains, and won't break the bank. If you want more, add some mufflers. More sound, but not much of a power add on.

Our AWE Tuning Porsche exhaust parts were designed, tested, and are made all in house. We are very proud of the results and hope you will be as well.

You can read more here:
http://www.awe-tuning.com/ivaf/produ...pe_mselect=282

Cross over pipe highlights:

*6.5lbs weight savings
*100% T304 Stainless Steel Construction
*Complete bolt-in replacement for OE center rear muffler

If you or anyone else has addtional questions, please email me directly.
Mike@AWE-Tuning.com

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
agency power is cheapest and best sound, good quality

Old 12-17-2012, 10:27 AM
phily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura about
I was debating the same thing a few weeks ago. I was all set to do the Fister mod then I ran across a member selling his slightly used Fabspeed Maxflo system with the tips. Installing next week!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 PM
RichM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by phily911
I was debating the same thing a few weeks ago. I was all set to do the Fister mod then I ran across a member selling his slightly used Fabspeed Maxflo system with the tips. Installing next week!
Philly911, if you don't mind, once you have your exhaust installed, please post a few vids of the sound.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 AM
phily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura about
Will do.

I am going to try to get it installed this weekend.

Philly911, if you don't mind, once you have your exhaust installed, please post a few vids of the sound.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:32 AM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
here's a video of my 997.1 with full fabspeed exhaust.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
After Hours Automotive. I had that setup on my C4 and loved it. Lightweight as well.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:09 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Love my Tubi!!!!!

Tom

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Exhaust