997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

oil temp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Breadman is infamous around these parts
oil temp

What oil temp is appropriate for a 2006 911S? Usually runs around 200 degrees with a water temp of 175 but was stuck in stop and go traffic and oil temp moved closer to 225. Anything to worry about?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 PM
marlon 997 is infamous around these parts
Normal.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Thanks

Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
normal. mine is about 215 in traffic/street and hovers around 250 on track.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
No problem with those temps.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 PM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
As long as oil temp is below 240, you are fine.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
That is the proper operating temp. You should avoid revolt the engine high until you reach these levels. When it really starts creeping up is uphill climbs as low speed but high revs because the oil is heating up but there isn't enough airflow to cool as well.

Last edited by Hella-Buggin'; 12-22-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Is the wing temp controlled or speed controlled? I assumed it was speed controlled so when the temp is rising during stop and go traffic, is it a good idea to manually raise the wing?

Old 12-23-2012, 01:34 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
The wing is speed-conrolled and primarily designed for aerodynanics to work with the front. Keeping it up in traffic, I don't think, serves no purpose.

It might be placebo-efffect for me, but I think my oil temp lowered a little bit in traffic and a lot on highways after installing the 3rd traffic.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:01 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Yes the wing is only for aero. It will do nothing to your temps to raise it in stop and go traffic. Based on your post, your car is operating perfectly normally and there's no issue with your oil temp.

It's a well known issue these cars can get too hot oil temps when tracking them and you should add a GT3 oil cooler if you're planning to do a lot of tracking or any extended track runs. They can only handle about 20-30 minutes of track time before the oil temp starts to get to a level where I'd worry about continuing to push the car.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
The oil temp goes up in stopped traffic because there is no airflow under the car. The bottom of the oil pan, in all its heat-sync aluminum glory, is a bit flat surface moving air will pull heat from.. When at a stand-still that effect is not working so the heat must dissipate through the hotter air that builds up around the pan. Nothing unusual here.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:09 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Breadman
Is the wing temp controlled or speed controlled? I assumed it was speed controlled so when the temp is rising during stop and go traffic, is it a good idea to manually raise the wing?
Both -

Automatic mode
The limits for automatic extension and retraction
of the spoiler depend on various circumstances
(e.g. driving speed, engine compartment temperature).
Engine compartment temperature
under 122°F/55°C
Spoiler extends at 75 mph/120 km/h and
retracts at 37 mph/60 km/h.
Engine compartment temperature
over 140°F/60°C
Spoiler extends at 50 mph/80 km/h and retracts
at 19 mph/30 km/h.
If automatic control fails, a warning message is
displayed by the on-board computer.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 PM
speedphreek is a jewel in the roughspeedphreek is a jewel in the roughspeedphreek is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Yes the wing is only for aero. It will do nothing to your temps to raise it in stop and go traffic. Based on your post, your car is operating perfectly normally and there's no issue with your oil temp.

It's a well known issue these cars can get too hot oil temps when tracking them and you should add a GT3 oil cooler if you're planning to do a lot of tracking or any extended track runs. They can only handle about 20-30 minutes of track time before the oil temp starts to get to a level where I'd worry about continuing to push the car.
Please tell me more about this oil cooler

Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 PM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
another thing to mind is not only do you have to make sure to keep clean your radiators from road debris and leaves, but also over time, that debris will start to bend/close off many of the little fins of the radiators. little pebbles and sand can clog them too. the last time i had my bumper off, i tried to clean them the best i could and even spent time trying to straighten each little fin. annoying and impossible to say the least.