997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PCM / Radio Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 AM
DRHill is infamous around these parts
The distinction seems to be Bose or Non-Bose. Mine is non-Bose (sound package plus). Mine had fiber optic lines that just fed the that display line in the speedo or tach (can't remember). When you do this, that display line if characters just becomes "---". To me, no big deal. You are just losing the radio station ID. If you already have factory nav, I think the Nav feeds data there. Its just the one line. You still have the other stuff from the car computer. Was that clear?

In a non Bose there is not a fiber optic feed to the amp, which is an ASK amp. This makes everything quite easy. In the Bose system, it feeds the amp inputs via fiber optic. This gets a but more complicated, but not that big of a challenge.

The number one thing you need in either case is the bezel for around the radio. That comes from Euro MotorSpeed. They are an awesome company. The part is easily found on eBay (so what isn't?). The bezel kit comes 3 ways: Bose(keeping the amp), Bose(replacing the amp) and Non Bose. Here's the rub..... the non Bose is about $230.00, the Bose(replacing the amp is $260.00 and the "I can't bear to part with my Bose amp" kit is about $800.00. If you contact Euro MotorSpeed they can fill you in. They are VERY helpful. They always answer, even on Saturday and Sunday, and are happy to answer install questions after the sale.

Do the speaker grill covers have Bose emblems? That seems to be a way to tell. You can also look in the trunk behind that panel when the spare tire in a can and a few other items are. I just had an ASK amp with no orange fiber optic lines.

There is also another item I installed which tricked the radio. Many aftermarket head units want you to stop and engage the parking brake before you can access certain functions on the radio, such as entering a nav destination. For $20.00, I bought this tiny little device that installed in 2 minutes and the radio will allow me to do anything at any time. Not sure if this is legal, but I don't tend to watch movie while driving down the highway, anyway.

And Yes....I did my own install. It took me most of the day, but like so many other things, I could do it again in 90 minutes. It is not very hard and requires minimum skill. You need a few Tork type bits and a 7mm, (which I got from Lowes for $10.00), wire strippers, some crimps, screwdriver (not he drinking kind) and a few general tools that most own. Other than that, you just need to know which end of the screwdriver is the handle.....and have some confidence.

I thought about writing a document explaining the process. Maybe at some point, I will. It was really very easy, if you are that way inclined.

Didn't mean to write a novel here.

Let me know if you need more info.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 PM
Franky Knuckles is infamous around these parts
Very informative post DRHill.

I'm looking at getting the Alpine INE-S920 in another month or so because I'm told that anything 7" and above will require a custom dash kit which was more money. I have the bose amp and the shop in my area told me it'd be about $600 if I remember correctly for everything including the actual install. Sounds about on parr with what you're saying.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Former Vendor
DelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Franky Knuckles
Very informative post DRHill.

I'm looking at getting the Alpine INE-S920 in another month or so because I'm told that anything 7" and above will require a custom dash kit which was more money. I have the bose amp and the shop in my area told me it'd be about $600 if I remember correctly for everything including the actual install. Sounds about on parr with what you're saying.
do not use the Conncet 2 KIT IT LOOKS LIKE POOP! AND 600 installed for all parts and labor is real cheep for a shop. Have you asked what parts they are going to use or if they plan to rewire the car. They may call you mid way through the install and try to sell you and amp or hide you PCM in the bonnet. Heres a Video of a 1900.00 AVIC-Z140BH install done by a shop that had no clue how to properly do a Porsche. Its a good before and After we fixed it.

I sell the package with the Alpine INE-W927HD, SIRIUS Tuner, TR7 bybass and the Bose install kit for 1900.00 shipped all parts included and 2-3 day USPS shipping. Full 1 year warranty free exchange on all parts.

Non Bose Cars 1450.00 shipped all parts listed above. Very Few 997 have have PCM without the Bose system. They normally have the CDR-23. The best way is to check at the amp under the bonnet it will be behind the spare tire and have a plastic cover on it check to see if it has the 2 pin orange Most Optic connector on it.

Email me when your ready I have the black 09 up or Silver 05-08 kit In stock

Also if it the black dash factory you need the HUR-997.2 programed for 2009 and up otherwise you may have an issue with the programming.

Shoot me an email and we can see what we can work out saturndrcmedia@gmail.com

Last edited by DelReyCustoms; 02-16-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Antwan266 is infamous around these parts
Need help! I had installed Pioneer x940 bt head unit in my 2006 c2, I'm looking for steering wheel control interface that's compatible with the car and the unit, I've tried metra aswc interface that didn't really work, and checked PAC audio for the same product and no luck..
Any recommendation?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Former Vendor
DelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud ofDelReyCustoms has much to be proud of
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Antwan266
Need help! I had installed Pioneer x940 bt head unit in my 2006 c2, I'm looking for steering wheel control interface that's compatible with the car and the unit, I've tried metra aswc interface that didn't really work, and checked PAC audio for the same product and no luck..
Any recommendation?
Nav TV HUR-997 keeps SWC working only problem it works exclusively Alpine and Kenwood units No pioneer support.

THE SWC commands live in the BOSE amp and are tied to the optical signal.

Unfornatully nothing supports Pioneer with you car unless you put in the universal ASWC stalk or a clip on ASWC universal remote.

I wish there was a better answer.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Antwan266 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DelReyCustoms
Nav TV HUR-997 keeps SWC working only problem it works exclusively Alpine and Kenwood units No pioneer support.

THE SWC commands live in the BOSE amp and are tied to the optical signal.

Unfornatully nothing supports Pioneer with you car unless you put in the universal ASWC stalk or a clip on ASWC universal remote.

I wish there was a better answer.
Thanks for the input, I wish the latter was a better option.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Heres a Video of a 1900.00 AVIC-Z140BH install done by a shop that had no clue how to properly do a Porsche. Its a good before and After we fixed it.
With the new unit, there is SAT (I assume XM antennas form factory would also work), radio, nav and the new backup camera.

I'm wondering if the other features are then lost: offroad navigation, log book, address and phone, etc?

What will still work and what features are lost when you remove the factory PCM?

Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Former Vendor
Th new unit will sync the contacts from your cell phone and has built in Bluetooth audio streaming. Phone book can access up to 2000 contacts. The new nav has up to 200 savable points of interest and you can also store your own custom routes. Not to mention free lifetime traffic. Also it has a timer clock built

Now on the garmin biased Kenwood unit it has Downloadable map packs from Harmon's website so it's great for off roading. I doubt to many people are taking their 997 in the dirt.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Th new unit will sync the contacts from your cell phone and has built in Bluetooth audio streaming. Phone book can access up to 2000 contacts. The new nav has up to 200 savable points of interest and you can also store your own custom routes. Not to mention free lifetime traffic. Also it has a timer clock built

Now on the garmin biased Kenwood unit it has Downloadable map packs from Harmon's website so it's great for off roading. I doubt to many people are taking their 997 in the dirt.
Well, the 'off road' feature is not for doing dirt and cross country driving.. .its for driving where the built in nav doesn't have a map/road penciled in ... so you get to define your own road. So it appears the custom routes may work (ie it tracks where you drove via GPS coordinates, even if they are not on a currently mapped road. (ie new roads not in maps yet).

What about the logbook, I guess that feature goes away. I do use the logbook .. its running constantly and that way I can recall distance travled for business expenses easily.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:39 PM
soch is infamous around these parts
Looks awesome .To bad i live in Toronto I have a pcm everything works fine but unable to get any sound