997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car broke down on highway again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:54 AM
azqureshi is infamous around these parts
Car broke down on highway again

Yup..Same issues as the last thread than can be found below...Same symptoms different highway...Car is headed to the Dealer and I'm not sure what I should do at this point...I contacted PNA last time and got a generic letter...Any ideas still under warranty Between the last time I lost a belt it has been nearly 900 miles...At this point I think one of the Shafts must be slightly bent...Causing a very slight misalignment hence the Belt coming off and taking a pulley with it...

On my way to SFO...I was driving the 997 on the baybridge....First the steering became unresponsive than the battery generator light went off...Since I was on my way to the mechanics I thought I could make it...than the high water temp went off followed by low oil pressure and high oil temperature..
I managed to pullover and got the car parked in a redzone...

Called Porsche and has the car towed to rector Porsche...when the car got dropped off...I saw the serpentine belt hanging down...

About 200 miles ago I took the car to Livermore Porsche and they changed the belt and did an alignment...

My concerns are what are the chances of me getting the shaft from rector...the car has the existing CPO warranty.....

I'm worried about the long term effects...in regards to the overheat and possible cause of failure and damage to existing drive accessories and their shaft alignment...

Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 PM
gtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud ofgtr guy in az has much to be proud of
Wow, I am glad I got a used GTR 09. I thought about a GT-2 but ???
This is really a shame. Time to get ruff with dealer and document all issues with photos.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:53 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by gtr guy in az
Wow, I am glad I got a used GTR 09. .

Old 12-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Oakland_Stan has a spectacular aura aboutOakland_Stan has a spectacular aura aboutOakland_Stan has a spectacular aura about
@azqureshi: Oddly I had the same exact problem this morning at what sounds to be the same location. Coming across the bay bridge at 6am I all the sudden got the "battery generator" warning and lost power steering. Low and behold I snapped my drive belt that connects to the alternator, cooling system, etc. I was able to get to my office garage, and it didn't seem like anything was off except for the steering. Wrong. As you highlighted, when I was driving to my local Indy shop (Aldo's Performance Motors), which is only ~1.5 miles away, the engine temp shot up and I had to stop the car twice (for 10 mins) to let it rest and was barely able to get there.

I haven't heard back about the cost to fix but My car is an 05 C2 with 19,000 miles. Has anyone else had this issue and if so care to comment on the potential damage here? Also, are there any other parts that I should have them replace (water pump, etc.) while they fix this? Thanks.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
did the pulleys get replaced last time by livermore porsche? often, belts snap when pulley/roller is out of alignment or seizes.

i doubt anything long term is damaged. when belt snaps, your water pump stops. that's why temp shot up. also, steering becomes hard as power steering pump is not working.

have rector look over it by their senior tech. tell them this is a repeat issue. since you are under warranty, i would not worry about it.

btw, i would take the car to carlsen porsche next time. they are one of the best on the pennisula. when i had an RMS leak on my 996, they took out the engine just to make sure there is no other leaks. i have heard mixed things about rector and have never been there.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:15 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Rector is a dealership that works by the book... the Porsche book.. or the Audi book whatever you schlep into the repair bay. I did not have any problems with them except with the size of the bills ... but that is not unlike any other dealership. If you get the right Service manager you will be fine. Ask for George Demar. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2012, 03:02 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Sounds like you shut it down in time.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Hey....I went to Rector last time as the corrected the issue after Livermore changed the belt...Rector changed the belt along with a roller which was in several pieces...

I guess I'm really worried about the old belt tieing up into the other accessories...When I peeked inside the boot the belt was off and looked in really bad shape...I wonder what the culprit was this time...

We'll see what happens...

Stan...Aldo is awesome he's worked on my car a few times...Just do what he recommends....

Old 12-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Oakland_Stan has a spectacular aura aboutOakland_Stan has a spectacular aura aboutOakland_Stan has a spectacular aura about
Thanks azqureshi. May I ask what the dealer charged for this repair? Aldo got me for 6 bills for the belt, 3 rollers and labor.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:56 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
subscribed

Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM
AllForTheCash is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gtr guy in az
Wow, I am glad I got a used GTR 09. I thought about a GT-2 but ???
This is really a shame. Time to get ruff with dealer and document all issues with photos.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Stan...It's under warranty...So I wasn't charged anything...I still haven't heard anything back from the dealer yet...

Last time the changed a roller and the belt...

I'll update the post when u get a response from the dealer...

Old 02-14-2013, 01:36 AM
delayed respons

To update you guys...They replaced all the rollers and said that could have been the cause...What was disturbing is that I found pieces of the old drive belt in the alternator housing....

Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 PM
txhokie4life is infamous around these parts
I'd be wary of an issue with the tensioner if this has happened twice.

It's possible a pulley seized -- but if it did they would have found it the first time.

m

Old 02-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
At this point, Porsche should change ALL of the parts that are associated with the running of the belt.. all the wheels, pulleys and shafts. Also check all the devices that are loads to make sure they are not putting undo drag on the system or rotating unclean that could be causing a problem. Better to just fix this all in one go than try to piecemeal it one part at a time... it will take much less time and thus $$.. if they cover that sort of general loss of use line of thinking.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car broke down on highway again