997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

VF supercharger and passing smog in CA?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 PM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
I still wonder at what point equipment was grandfathered in.
No such thing unless your car is not required to get smog or was built before 1976. CA requires smog test on all title transfers and bi-annually in most counties.

There are serious fines and penalties for rogue smog operators so there are a lot less of them out there than there used to be. I'm sure they can still be found...

Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
But don't they have to know to identify the engine component as being non stock? With so many providing the service can't he drive to a few and see if no one notices it?
Not sure how I'd so this but the thought definitely crossed my mind...

Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CarNerd
Anyone with this system able to pass smog in CA? I'll be putting the stock exhaust back on but I've heard it may not be enough...?
Did you contact VF? I bet they sell quite a few of these kits in California.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sizquik
Did you contact VF? I bet they sell quite a few of these kits in California.
I'll be I'm contact with them tomorrow (if they're open)

Old 12-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by aggk
"The visual test is always the first inspection they perform,If they don't see a C.A.R.B sticker or imprint on the aftermarket products they won't even go as far as putting the probe in the exhaust!"

They need to be able to recognize its an after market part. The place I went to to smog my 993 seemed to have never seen one before and had no idea what the engine was supposed to look like.
Ya I've gotta find a place like this

Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Ya I've gotta find a place like this
Look for a guy who pops the trunk to inspect the engine and you're all set.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Look for a guy who pops the trunk to inspect the engine and you're all set.
Haha was seriously going to try and find someone who popped the hood to check the engine

Old 12-31-2012, 09:32 AM
Just as a quick update I found out that a new rule has been issued and it's actually the sellers responsibility to have to car smogged before the title can be transferred. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the help

Old 12-31-2012, 09:43 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
The good news is with the 991 the visual inspection will no longer be a problem. When you pop the engine lid on a 991 it looks like you popped the cover off of an office computer! All you see are couple large fans!! You could have a nuclear reactor in there and they would never see it!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Just as a quick update I found out that a new rule has been issued and it's actually the sellers responsibility to have to car smogged before the title can be transferred. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the help
How did you transfer ownership when you bought the car? You had to go through the DMV or Auto Club at which time you had to show proof of emissions.

"A good first step is to determine whether or not you need a smog certificate. When selling a car in California, you must change the title over to a new owner. When you do this through the DMV, you will be required to provide proof of smog certification in the state of California. You will not be required to have smog certification if your car is a hybrid, made before 1975, diesel powered, electric, powered by natural gas and has a GVW in excess of 14,000 pounds, electric, being transferred within a family, or a motorcycle, trailer or vessel. If your vehicle is none of these things, you will need to obtain smog certification. You can do this at most local garages. The garages that provide this service will post it prominently. It is important to note it is the responsibility of the seller to have the vehicle smog certified."

Did you buy this Porsche out of state? If so, you have the obligation to meet and prove California emissions compliance.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
dasams is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AP 997S
How did you transfer ownership when you bought the car? You had to go through the DMV or Auto Club at which time you had to show proof of emissions.
I think he just bought the car but doesn't have title yet. Hence, the need to pass smog and then transfer title. This will be a challenge but if he's successful, he'll have to go through it again in two years dave

Old 12-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by dasams
I think he just bought the car but doesn't have title yet. Hence, the need to pass smog and then transfer title. This will be a challenge but if he's successful, he'll have to go through it again in two years dave
Originally Posted by AP 997S

"A good first step is to determine whether or not you need a smog certificate. When selling a car in California, you must change the title over to a new owner. When you do this through the DMV, you will be required to provide proof of smog certification in the state of California. You will not be required to have smog certification if your car is a hybrid, made before 1975, diesel powered, electric, powered by natural gas and has a GVW in excess of 14,000 pounds, electric, being transferred within a family, or a motorcycle, trailer or vessel. If your vehicle is none of these things, you will need to obtain smog certification. You can do this at most local garages. The garages that provide this service will post it prominently. It is important to note it is the responsibility of the seller to have the vehicle smog certified."

Did you buy this Porsche out of state? If so, you have the obligation to meet and prove California emissions compliance.
I did it like I have in the past with all of my other cars. I exchange payment for the pink slip, then registered the car at the DMV. In the past they gave me a temporary registration and then something like 45 days to smog, which would be electronically sent to the DMV, upon which full registration would be complete/sent to me. In this case I exchanged payment for the pink slip on Friday, (previous owner released liability) drove the car home on Saturday and planned to register with the DMV today.

Last edited by CarNerd; 12-31-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:17 AM
aggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud of
I heard some people take off the SC prior to each smog test, and put it back on afterwards.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by aggk
I heard some people take off the SC prior to each smog test, and put it back on afterwards.
Yeah, that's around a $2500 ordeal. If the SC comes off, it's going to get sold...

Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 AM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Seller responsibility for the smog isn't new. Been around for a Long long long while.

If course, check your bill of sale. Most of those are 'as-is', thus getting it smogged may be your responsibility.

Last edited by cab83_750; 12-31-2012 at 10:51 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VF supercharger and passing smog in CA?