997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

VF supercharger and passing smog in CA?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
VF supercharger and passing smog in CA?

Anyone with this system able to pass smog in CA? I'll be putting the stock exhaust back on but I've heard it may not be enough...?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 AM
fattire775 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CarNerd
Anyone with this system able to pass smog in CA? I'll be putting the stock exhaust back on but I've heard it may not be enough...?
Since the kit is not CARB certified, I'm pretty sure you are SOL. I've heard the kit and tune will pass the actual test, but I know California smog labs look for the CARB sticker on aftermarket mods like a SC. Unless you have connections, I'm not sure it's worth the risk. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by fattire775
Since the kit is not CARB certified, I'm pretty sure you are SOL. I've heard the kit and tune will pass the actual test, but I know California smog labs look for the CARB sticker on aftermarket mods like a SC. Unless you have connections, I'm not sure it's worth the risk. Good luck!
+100!!!!!

CARB sticker is always checked. Some smog places 'may' just put their blinders as long as your car passes the sniff test.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Based on your 'signature' it appears you already have the 'SC' installed. Most, if not all, CA Smog Testing Stations will not take the risk of 'missing' the SC even though it might pass the emissions test. Big fines and loss of testing certification awaits them if they get caught. Not like the 'good ole days' when a 'friendly' smog tester would 'miss' non CARB approved aftermarket devices.

Good luck . . . . . .

Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Yeah, bought it with the car. Thanks for the input guys

Old 12-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Outlook seems pretty bleak so if anyone has a smog guy in the Bay Area please pm me ASAP. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 PM
aggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud of
I'm in the Bay Area. When I had my 993 I took it to a place that didn't see many high end cars to get it smogged. The place didn't really know what to look for when examining the engine.

You might try a smaller place that does mostly Hondas etc.. They may miss the SC.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by aggk
I'm in the Bay Area. When I had my 993 I took it to a place that didn't see many high end cars to get it smogged. The place didn't really know what to look for when examining the engine.

You might try a smaller place that does mostly Hondas etc.. They may miss the SC.

Good luck.
Ya that was my first thought if no one recommended anyone.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:44 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Most smog stations these days don't even want to take the chance of losing their license, especially in CA! If you don't have a C.A.R.B. sticker or proof that it's certified your pretty much sol!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:44 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
That's the way the car came when you bought it. How long have C.A.R.B. stickers been required? Could it possibly be grandfathered in?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 PM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
CarNerd, there are other ways to get around this issue. See your PM (and see my sig to see my car).

Old 12-30-2012, 09:05 PM
marlon 997 is infamous around these parts
In LA we have these self car wash places that do smog checks. Those guys are usually a lot less "strict". Maybe look up one of those in SF?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Originally Posted by cab83_750
+100!!!!!

CARB sticker is always checked. Some smog places 'may' just put their blinders as long as your car passes the sniff test.
The visual test is always the first inspection they perform,If they don't see a C.A.R.B sticker or imprint on the aftermarket products they won't even go as far as putting the probe in the exhaust!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ
The visual test is always the first inspection they perform,If they don't see a C.A.R.B sticker or imprint on the aftermarket products they won't even go as far as putting the probe in the exhaust!
But don't they have to know to identify the engine component as being non stock? With so many providing the service can't he drive to a few and see if no one notices it?

I still wonder at what point equipment was grandfathered in.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:49 PM
aggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud of
"The visual test is always the first inspection they perform,If they don't see a C.A.R.B sticker or imprint on the aftermarket products they won't even go as far as putting the probe in the exhaust!"

They need to be able to recognize its an after market part. The place I went to to smog my 993 seemed to have never seen one before and had no idea what the engine was supposed to look like.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VF supercharger and passing smog in CA?