997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pre purchase questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 PM
rightfootdown is infamous around these parts
Thank you guys so much for the info. Exactly what I was hoping for, more to ponder, and much answered. So the .2 began in '09?

I will def be getting an S.

I've been on CL and Autotrader looking, but am willing to drive or fly to p/u from the Midwest to west. Could use a good road trip.

Any better way to find? Opinions on private vs dealer?

Private I would do a PPI, but could I still get an aftermarket warranty with a private party purchase?

Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rightfootdown
Thank you guys so much for the info. Exactly what I was hoping for, more to ponder, and much answered. So the .2 began in '09?

I will def be getting an S.

I've been on CL and Autotrader looking, but am willing to drive or fly to p/u from the Midwest to west. Could use a good road trip.

Any better way to find? Opinions on private vs dealer?

Private I would do a PPI, but could I still get an aftermarket warranty with a private party purchase?

One approach is to call Dave at sfcarguy. He's a broker that can do a search for you and even negotiate the price for you. I spoke with Nima Ned was going to use him but ended up finding a local car on my own. He charges a fee and will provide your with a national search spreadsheet with options.

Anyway, an option.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
There have been a few 997.1 that had a catastrophic engine failure due to the IMS. The problem appears to be only early year 2005, however one poster in this thread, dadeo, on post number 110 said his failure occurred on a '07 S. it was his only single post, so may not be true. The 997.2 model no longer has an IMS bearing.

ims failure poll
From what I've learned, there is no indication before it fails, and he said there was a vibration before. Still seems pretty unlikely, though I would like the warranty...

Old 12-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
One approach is to call Dave at sfcarguy. He's a broker that can do a search for you and even negotiate the price for you. I spoke with Nima Ned was going to use him but ended up finding a local car on my own. He charges a fee and will provide your with a national search spreadsheet with options.

Anyway, an option.
Thanx, I just might give him a try. It has been fun looking and learning. Been wanting one since I was a teen in the early 80's, but three kids in college, own a small company, something's always gettin in the way, but it's time to do it.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
The hunt is fun. Drive as many as you can to see what the different options are and which ones must haves for you. I looked at a cab, a base and finaly knew that the c2s coupe was where my butt wanted to be.

You mentioned lowering the car.... Maybe hunt for one with damptronics already installed?

Don't forget to join the PCA and get some ax and de experience and fun.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
The hunt is fun. Drive as many as you can to see what the different options are and which ones must haves for you. I looked at a cab, a base and finaly knew that the c2s coupe was where my butt wanted to be.

You mentioned lowering the car.... Maybe hunt for one with damptronics already installed?

Don't forget to join the PCA and get some ax and de experience and fun.
Are the Damptronics similar to the PASM?

Will def join the PCA, off road dirt biking is one of my hobbies and didn't get to see the depth of the hobby till I joined a club (a work related shoulder injury has me out of that sport for a year and a half), even had to stay off the bicycle for 6mo, and couldn't shift so I put off the 6spd conversion in my 70 camaro. Just finished it and man, did it wake that thing up.