997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pre purchase questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:35 PM
rightfootdown is infamous around these parts
Pre purchase questions

Hey all, I will be purchasing my first Porsche soon and have it narrowed down to a 997.

What is the difference between a C2 and C2S?
What is the diff between 997.1 vs 997.2

Definitely want 2wd, six speed. The car will get lowered, and rims. And the car will be seeing a little track time.

Thanx for your help, Mike

Old 12-30-2012, 04:01 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
997.2 = 2009 +
997.1 = 2008 and below

997.2 has DFI engine, better fuel mileage and maybe a few HP. Some bugs also removed from the 997.1. Lots to search and read here. Too much to list.

S= Sport, larger brakes(painted caliper), a few more HP , I believe a little wider in the rear and tires. That s the short answer.

You should see a noticeable difference between the price of an "S" (more stuff=more money).

auto trans in 997.2 is the new PDK, 997.1 has an older style. Pdk is the latest and probably the best. I didn t care for the 997.1 auto trans at all.

6 speeds are getting harder to find in my experience.

If cash is not an issue go for the newest you can get ... Enjoy your search.

Last edited by cerbomark; 12-30-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:42 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cerbomark
997.2 = 2009 +
997.1 = 2008 and below

997.2 has DFI engine, better fuel mileage and maybe a few HP. Some bugs also removed from the 997.1. Lots to search and read here. Too much to list.

S= Sport, larger brakes(painted caliper), a few more HP , I believe a little wider in the rear and tires. That s the short answer.

You should see a noticeable difference between the price of an "S" (more stuff=more money).

auto trans in 997.2 is the new PDK, 997.1 has an older style. Pdk is the latest and probably the best. I didn t care for the 997.1 auto trans at all.

"wider in the rear" comes with C4, Turbo, Targa, GTS, GT3RS, GT2 - the "S" designation has nothing to do with body width - common misunderstanding.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:50 PM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
Old 12-30-2012, 06:29 PM
blazinginder is infamous around these parts
If you can, go with a 2009+ (so you get the 997.2) and definitely a S, I like the AWD/wider fenders and went 4S

Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
"wider in the rear" comes with C4, Turbo, Targa, GTS, GT3RS, GT2 - the "S" designation has nothing to do with body width - common misunderstanding.
That's the kinda info I need.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by cerbomark
997.2 = 2009 +
997.1 = 2008 and below

And enjoy it I am doing.
How much more ponies the newer they get?

Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Wc11, that is an awesome link, the kinda stuff you could hardly find by doing a "google" (too much digging)

Thanx, mike

Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I have the 997.1 S and it has 355 HP. The 997.2 S has 385 but the DFI engine has a little more torque down low and also removed the problematic IMS bearing.

The 992 has more sophisticated PASM, updated electronics, led lights and the DFI engine. Also, PDk trans if you are into that.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 PM
sqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud ofsqweak has much to be proud of
S differences not mentioned so far:
1 inch larger wheel stock (18 vs 19)
1 inch wider rear wheel stock (10 vs 11)
PASM (adjustable suspension stock)

Do note all of those things could have been optioned on a non-s.

997.1 vs .2 HP/TQ differences:

Base: 321hp/273tq vs 340hp/288tq
S: 355hp/295tq vs 380hp/310tq

Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
There have been a few 997.1 that had a catastrophic engine failure due to the IMS. The problem appears to be only early year 2005, however one poster in this thread, dadeo, on post number 110 said his failure occurred on a '07 S. it was his only single post, so may not be true. The 997.2 model no longer has an IMS bearing.

ims failure poll

Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sqweak
S: 355hp/295tq vs 380hp/310tq
Actually it's 355 vs. 385. But the DFI makes a huge difference in throttle response. My .2 997S is hands down quicker than the .1 997S it replaced.

The motor in the .2 is also lower in the frame, which per Porsche makes for better balance. I can say I can also tell the front end is more planted in my .2, and generally is a better performing car.

Somebody mentioned PASM as adjustable suspension. It is electrically charged at varying degrees, and each corner is controlled separately based on what the system senses while driving. In sport mode, the system stiffens for less travel and exhibits less body roll. Not sure if Porsche changed PASM between .1 and .2 but I can drive my .2 with PASM in sport mode without shattering my teeth. Something I couldn't do in my .1

PASM also lowers the car 10mm

Last edited by Steve997S; 12-30-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Actually it's 355 vs. 385. But the DFI makes a huge difference in throttle response. My .2 997S is hands down quicker than the .1 997S it replaced.

The motor in the .2 is also lower in the frame, which per Porsche makes for better balance. I can say I can also tell the front end is more planted in my .2, and generally is a better performing car.

Somebody mentioned PASM as adjustable suspension. It is electrically charged at varying degrees, and each corner is controlled separately based on what the system senses while driving. In sport mode, the system stiffens for less travel and exhibits less body roll. Not sure if Porsche changed PASM between .1 and .2 but I can drive my .2 with PASM in sport mode without shattering my teeth. Something I couldn't do in my .1

PASM also lowers the car 10mm
I think it's just SPASM that lowers the car. Regular PASM doesn't.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
I don't think either lowers the car. Spasm starts out 5mm lower than PASM. Both stiffens suspension.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by seapar
I don't think either lowers the car. Spasm starts out 5mm lower than PASM. Both stiffens suspension.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply the height dropped when you pushed the button.

Last edited by Hella-Buggin'; 12-30-2012 at 11:09 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pre purchase questions