997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wrecked My Porsche.. :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Minok
Hm. Who do you hang out with that you can see herpes and know to avoid those people? I95 is clearly enough visible via the signage!

Sorry, it was teed up ... had to...
my mom is a gynecologist!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Glad you are unharmed.

You had me flashbacking: in 9 years, I had 7 accidents. One was a cement truck who decided to just rev his truck and tried to do a monster-truck routine on my 911. He bumped me and my car stalled; then, he proceeded to just push me. Once the chaos stopped and I talk to him, he said, "Crap. I could not see you. No wonder my truck was sluggish!"

Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
A lot of assumptions going on here. I would go over the car with the insurance adjuster and a quality repair shop manager (dealer recommendation?) and determine exactly the extent of the damage and cost of repair before making any decisions. What looks horrible on the surface may turn out to be major sheetmetal repair/replacement and paint with no damage to the underlying structural integrity.

Your OK, and the car is replaceable should be worst be uncovered.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM
CarreraS997Blk is infamous around these parts
almost scary i had the exact same thing happen to me, hydroplaned then did two 360's and avoided an 18 wheeler to hit the wall at 50...yikes

Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
jeffreyjames is infamous around these parts
Excellent points so far. After the adrenaline wore off, I've been in a bit of a daze, with visions of what could have been. This was not a fender bender, but a major accident that could have ended way worse. My wife and 10 month old greeted me at the scene, she was crying, he was smiling unknowingly. I could have reconnected with them under much more traumatic circumstances.

It's kind of like some motorcycle riders that I know. When they crash their bike, the first thing they worry about is the bike, once they count all their fingers and toes. I guess I had a little bit of that bug when this happened.

I had the car towed to a recommended shop who said it looks like it would be a total, but it is ultimately up to the insurance company, he can only influence which I suggested, I'll accompany during the inspection.

From an asset stand point, and on an almost 6 figure vehicle, I have to be concerned. If the car is repaired we are talking a whole new front end with paint work, etc. This will have to be disclosed to the next buyer, making my vehicle worth far less than the current market/non accident vehicle. So I am concerned about that, I'm not by any means in a position where money isn't an object. I'll keep you guys posted. I deeply appreciate your feedback, it's been huge today in trying to get some kind of blue print on how to handle this going forward.

Best,

Jeff

Last edited by jeffreyjames; 01-08-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 PM
babyburner is infamous around these parts
sorry to hear. Looks painful.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 PM
MCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud of
Glad you are okay, and that you can remember your wife and baby being there!

The car is a total loss, especially if any of the bags went off. As the insured, you have a right to expect any car that is repaired to be in "like" condition to prior accident. Under this premise, no car that is hit can ever truly be repaired, and especially one that took a hit like yours.

Before people jump in and start defending quality repair shops and cars that have a "story", let me say that I've owned a few "story" cars and have one salvage title in the garage.

My point is that of you want a car to be totaled, you can achieve it if you are active in the process with the adjuster. On cars like these anything approaching 30% of value is an easy total. Be your own advocate, an if you get an answer you don't like - work until you get one that you do.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 PM
timbit x is infamous around these parts
Glad you are alright... good luck with the insurance people, but I'd say it is a write off.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
car is for sure totalled, you need to THANK GOD your ok, because this is a horrible accident! wow...

Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 PM
dealy663 has a spectacular aura aboutdealy663 has a spectacular aura about
Please explain what happened

Hi

No matter what happens with the money, consider yourself lucky given that you have not been hurt. I'm very curious about what caused you to spin out. Modern tires are really good and its kinda hard to understand how you could just spin out. Were you emergency braking, were you in the middle of a turn, something in the road, worn tires, please let us know.

I actually lost control of a car 30 years ago and crashed into a tree. I was knocked out cold for a while and still have light scars on my face (seatbelts didn't work). This was my only accident where I totally lost control. It was raining and I was a poor student that couldn't afford to buy new tires to replace the bald ones. I learned my lesson pretty well that day and have never skimped on my tires ever since.

Derek

Old 01-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Let's hope it gets totaled.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Really glad you're ok.
Now for the disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV.
But...THIS is probably not the appropriate time or venue to say anything at all about what happened. No way.
I'm sure as heck not recommending inappropriate or 'extra-legal' action at all. It's just that you probably don't want to risk further difficulties with your insurer.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 PM
911bob is infamous around these parts911bob is infamous around these parts
Wow!!

Glad everything was fine. 100% total. I was in a accident while driving my amg. My insurance didnt even waist time estimating the damage. I was told that anytime airbags deploy, car rolls over, fire it's an automatic total. Good luck with everything.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I believe this is going to be a no-brainer total loss as well, but in the event it isn't, look into diminished value reimbursement. Some policies cover a car like this for wrecks that will diminish their value in the secondary market. Worth looking into because if you have that coverage then that should be factored into the equation when considering a total loss. I am no insurance expert, but I have seen instances of folks getting the diminished value spiff when they wreck their cars and it is more than repairable.

I still think yours is a no-brainer total loss, however. Good luck with it and I am glad you are safe.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 AM
jeffreyjames is infamous around these parts
Thanks so much for your reply.. I was driving straight on i95, it was rainy, 8 other accidents apparently in a 2 mile stretch that morning. Police officer said with fresh rain, and a change in materials (asphalt to concrete) it creates a very unstable environment. I accelerated, and was in sport mode (as usual always in sport mode), and right after acceleration, (which wasn't aggressive) my car literally took a left turn on the highway across 2 lanes of traffic ending up underneath and in front of the last sets of tires on the semi. Our cars are so low that it fit and BOOM! Tires were at 70%.

Originally Posted by dealy663
Hi

No matter what happens with the money, consider yourself lucky given that you have not been hurt. I'm very curious about what caused you to spin out. Modern tires are really good and its kinda hard to understand how you could just spin out. Were you emergency braking, were you in the middle of a turn, something in the road, worn tires, please let us know.

I actually lost control of a car 30 years ago and crashed into a tree. I was knocked out cold for a while and still have light scars on my face (seatbelts didn't work). This was my only accident where I totally lost control. It was raining and I was a poor student that couldn't afford to buy new tires to replace the bald ones. I learned my lesson pretty well that day and have never skimped on my tires ever since.

Derek

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wrecked My Porsche.. :(