997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

245/35-19 on a 19x8 wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:29 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
245/35-19 on a 19x8 wheel?

can you put a 245-35-19 on a 8 inch wide wheel?

My 4S has the Michelin PS2s on a 235/35-19 - 305/30/19.

I want to get more tire in the front if possible. Can i do it with the factory 19x8 wheel or do i have to get a wider set of wheel like a 19-8.5 or 19-9?

Anyone?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:22 AM
911bob is infamous around these parts911bob is infamous around these parts
5mm on each side isn't gonna really make a difference. I have ran 245 on 8" rim before. Go for it.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Breizh is infamous around these parts
Most tire manufacturers will list a min/max rim size for their tires. For example, Michelin shows 8" min / 9.5" max for a 245/35ZR19.
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details

Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 AM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Breizh
Most tire manufacturers will list a min/max rim size for their tires. For example, Michelin shows 8" min / 9.5" max for a 245/35ZR19.
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details
i understand that. But how "risky" is to run a tire to its minimum required wheel width, especially when you have a high performance car that sees high performance driving and events like DEs and AutoX.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kouzman
i understand that. But how "risky" is to run a tire to its minimum required wheel width, especially when you have a high performance car that sees high performance driving and events like DEs and AutoX.
I would say Michelin wouldn't include the range without due consideration. A track day to you is everyday driving in Europe. In fact, you won't see the speeds on a track day that German drivers hit daily for tens of miles at a time during their work commutes.

I tend to think Porsche engineers came to decide on certain tire specs after much thought and testing. I can appreciate wanting more grip, but even if you find a solution to provide a slightly overall wider tread width, it's not all rubber due to water channels between the tread blocks. So what have you really gained? Also, check the weight of the tires. Going to the larger tire adds 2 pounds of unsprung weight in the case of the PS2, which adversely affects handling, braking, and acceleration. It may just be 2 pounds, but it's at the worse place to affect rotational mass.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Steve997S
I would say Michelin wouldn't include the range without due consideration. A track day to you is everyday driving in Europe. In fact, you won't see the speeds on a track day that German drivers hit daily for tens of miles at a time during their work commutes.

I tend to think Porsche engineers came to decide on certain tire specs after much thought and testing. I can appreciate wanting more grip, but even if you find a solution to provide a slightly overall wider tread width, it's not all rubber due to water channels between the tread blocks. So what have you really gained? Also, check the weight of the tires. Going to the larger tire adds 2 pounds of unsprung weight in the case of the PS2, which adversely affects handling, braking, and acceleration. It may just be 2 pounds, but it's at the worse place to affect rotational mass.
Thank you for the reply. I am aware on all these factors and it is true, we have to take into consideration all of these factors when we are trying to achieve something, in this case increase front grip...

MAybe the solution is not a wider front tire, or maybe that's not the only solution. Suspension adjustments and especially camber could change the driving dynamics of the car, to someone's driving style. Wider tires is only a part of the equation.

BTW i have driven in Europe like Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc and i agree that the speeds on some of those roads are just a dream under the US standards / limits.

If i proceed with a wider tire, i will definitely provide feedback to the community.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kouzman
Thank you for the reply. I am aware on all these factors and it is true, we have to take into consideration all of these factors when we are trying to achieve something, in this case increase front grip...

MAybe the solution is not a wider front tire, or maybe that's not the only solution. Suspension adjustments and especially camber could change the driving dynamics of the car, to someone's driving style. Wider tires is only a part of the equation.

BTW i have driven in Europe like Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc and i agree that the speeds on some of those roads are just a dream under the US standards / limits.

If i proceed with a wider tire, i will definitely provide feedback to the community.
You're welcome. Like most, I think we'd all appreciate more front end grip. Hope to see this thread again one day with some good solutions posted.