997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Waxing Your Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:47 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a link to Griot's detailer's handbook. Pdf to download.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/text/pdf...ailerHB9th.pdf

Last edited by amge63; 02-01-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Broken link fixed
Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Maturola is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by amge63
Here is a link to Griot's detailer's handbook. Pdf to download.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/category/product+information/detailer's+handbook.do
Link seen to be broken - 404 error.

here is the one I had:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/text/pdf...ailerHB9th.pdf

Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
there's also a detail section on this forum:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/detailing-30/

for wax, i have been using Pinnacle Souveran Paste with great success

Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
there's also a detail section on this forum:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/detailing-30/

for wax, i have been using Pinnacle Souveran Paste with great success
Pinnacle is one of the better ones. Much better than griots junk. You don't have to spend a lot, but 50 to 100 bucks gets you a quality paste wax that will give you more shine, depth of gloss, and durability than a liquid wax. I've tried griots best of show over a decade ago on a white car and it was probably the worst "premium" hyped wax.

Last edited by hakaida; 02-01-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Derek
My 997 is a daily driver that gets parked outside. I don't have a lot of time so I'll have it clay bared once in a while and use Klasse it seems the most durable and is easy to use. I tried Zaino only lasted about 2 weeks with the sun and salty air
You did not follow the steps if that is the case, Zaino lasts much longer than any wax, it is a Polymer and if done right will absolutely last longer than any wax.

Prep to me means more than the Wax used, if prep is not done correct your not going to get a Great result. Also I agree on certain colors different things work better than others. I have always love Zaino on White.

Last edited by Carnut12; 02-01-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Maturola
I don't think at any point he said he wasn't able to afford it, all he said is that on his opinion (based on some "study" he saw/read/heard/etc) he believe that the $3 - $4 wax would do the same than the more expensive one. that's his car and his option, no reason to get all over him about what he buy or use just because he own a porsche.

Owning a porsche doesn't mean you have to waste money all around or yo have to pay the "Cool" or the "P-car" tax that some products and service add on just because "it is a porsche".

I had read and heard very similar things from people who know what they are doing, however my decision to go with Griot's garage products is based on my own experience, I like their products, they are price very reasonable and been using them for a long time.
I am not sure how you think my post is Getting all over him, if it reads that way to you or the OP that was not the intent.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 PM
3POINT8 is infamous around these parts
What is clay barred?

Old 02-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by 3POINT8
What is clay barred?
Google it, it is a bar of clay that you rub on the car with a good detailer spray after a thorough cleaning, it takes off any contaminants (There are much more than you might think) that you can not see. It really makes a huge difference when you wax after.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
Using a clay bar takes too long. I use the speedy prep towel before polishing.

http://www.autogeek.net/speedy-surface-prep-towel.html

Old 02-02-2013, 05:17 AM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
I use Wolfgang, i like their products, the car bathe is excellent, the wax is a Carnuba/Synthetic, the only problem is that the wax is pink and it will get stuck around the lower rear rock protector film. It was expensive 180.00 but when you finish the wax,they will send you a new can. So it is really 90.00, which isn't so bad. Also very easy on and off.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
Dodo Juice

Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Jon70ProofZ
anyone use chemical guys Lava – Luminous Glow Infusion?
Never tried lava. I have tried cg 5050 and celeste and like both. I like most cg products. Next wax for me is swissvax insignis v3 and either concourus or glacier. Or maybe buy all 3.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
I absolutely agree with everyone who has recommended clay bar before waxing. It's super easy to do, and it will make your paint silky smooth. Lots of "how to" videos on YouTube. Waxing without clay bar first is like putting on a great pair of dress shoes without wearing socks. The stuff also works great to remove contaminants on windscreens, too.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 AM
I would also machine polish after claying your car if you can see any swirls or scratches.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:11 PM
sullivas is infamous around these parts
Best kept secret is Klasse All-in-One (AIO). Not a wax, German made acrylic, removes oxidation and leaves a gleaming protective shine that can last 6-8 months. Been out there for years and also has a companion product (High Gloss Sealant) that increases the shine and acts as a sealer. Google it! Don't have to spend a lot for a concours shine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Waxing Your Porsche