997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Waxing Your Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:34 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by amge63
Turtle wax and Meguires are still in business after all these years by not making a bad product. Zaino and Zymol are more costly and may have better results. I went through probably every wax and polish under the sun between all my cars. Currently I have five I am maintaining.... As meticulous as I want to be, there is simply not enough time in the world for me to "make love" to the car as my wife calls it.
I have them, and use them all, with IDENTICAL results. Save your money and learn great technique. Or, take it to a pro twice a year.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Great advice as always guys, thanks!

Looking to do a clay bar on my car when I have some time seems like it will be a long day with the waxing, polishing, sealing that completes the job...

Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vg247
Great advice as always guys, thanks!

Looking to do a clay bar on my car when I have some time seems like it will be a long day with the waxing, polishing, sealing that completes the job...

You can always make it a 2 day job if you don't want the single day marathon. Wash and clay day 1, polish and wax day 2 (keeping the car garaged of course and unused after day 1's work). Claying doesn't take as long as you might think. Typically the invisible deposits (which the clay removes) are mainly found on horizontal surfaces.

Painters tape helps too for polishing and waxing so you can mask off where you don't want polish/wax, such as rubber trim. Also polishing with a machine is essential, and laying down wax with a machine is preferred to lay down the thinnest layer possible.

Last edited by Steve997S; 02-10-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 PM
sullivas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Steve997S
You can always make it a 2 day job if you don't want the single day marathon. Wash and clay day 1, polish and wax day 2 (keeping the car garaged of course and unused after day 1's work). Claying doesn't take as long as you might think. Typically the invisible deposits (which the clay removes) are mainly found on horizontal surfaces.

Painters tape helps too for polishing and waxing so you can mask off where you don't want polish/wax, such as rubber trim. Also polishing with a machine is essential, and laying down wax with a machine is preferred to lay down the thinnest layer possible.

X2 on the 2 day job, a lot easier esp. if you are polishing/waxing by hand.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Steve997S

Always very soundful advice and much appreciated! I intend to do this as a 2 day job at least annually with the claying. Now I just need to research on one to buy and learn about how to use machine polishing techniques..(total noob here) as I've always did everything by manual labor ala ..hand

Old 02-11-2013, 01:37 AM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by vg247
Always very soundful advice and much appreciated! I intend to do this as a 2 day job at least annually with the claying. Now I just need to research on one to buy and learn about how to use machine polishing techniques..(total noob here) as I've always did everything by manual labor ala ..hand
Join the autogeek forum or detailingbliss. There's lots of members out there that know their stuff. I'd say that a big amount of them are professional detailers.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by hakaida
Join the autogeek forum or detailingbliss. There's lots of members out there that know their stuff. I'd say that a big amount of them are professional detailers.

Great thanks H'..

Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 AM
neos281 has a spectacular aura aboutneos281 has a spectacular aura about
After reading everyone's comments, I am interested in trying out Griot's Garage but I have been using Mother's products for some time now and must say that I am impressed with the results. The carnauba wax in particular absolutely blew me away last week when I used it for the first time.

Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2013, 06:10 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
After using Zymol Concours for years, purchased Pinnacle Souverän™ Paste Wax from Autogeek for about 1/2 the cost.

The Pinnacle gives a great shine, but is gone after a couple washes, Save your $90 & goodbye to Autogeek's
recommendations.

Found by accident "3M Perfect-it Show Car" paste wax for about $20. Excellent product
and it lasts.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:03 AM
Hyperseven is infamous around these parts
I have a swissvax master collection with concorso wax and professional cleaner fluid. I take my car to a professional three times per year and i am more than happy. Swissvax wheels wax is also very effective!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:14 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
I use Flitz Speedwax Detailer, super easy to use and wipes off quickly with no residue. It has carnuaba wax in it and the shine is brilliant.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:56 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
The key is the prep work. I clay and then use an orbital buffer to clean and polish. Then the wax.

I tend to agree that there is not much difference in brands. You don't have to spend a fortune.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:36 PM
hot nikon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Carnut12
I am a Zaino guy, I have used many other products and the Zaino to me is easy to use, great results, last longer than most, you can put layer over layer and the shine just keeps getting better. Go to the Zaino website to see the process, it is much easier than it appears, the product goes on and off very easy.

Best Results vary by the product you choose to use. I can tell you not enough folks Clay Bar their cars, it makes a tremendous difference IMO.

The Law of the 1st Post.

Ask a guy with a black car that lives in FL.... Zaino. Lasts the longest (for me), looks the best, easy to use.

Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2013, 04:23 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is infamous around these parts
There is a lot of good advise here. I am an avid reader and occasional poster on some of the detailing forums. What I have learned is (aside from the general advice of valuing and polishing) it comes down to personal preference when it comes to the final finishing product you go with. I have tried several and personally just fell in love with Black Fire's WOWA product. I believe it is called crystal seal. WOWA is a Wipe On Walk Away. It does not get any easier Wipe on with a provided MF sponge and an hour later (no removal) gorgeous results

Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
I can't wait for my swissvax insignis v3 to arrive this week. I'll have to do some prep and machine polish the few swirls that I didn't get the last time. I want to get it down perfect this time so I'll give myself two days to do everything.

Swissvax is expensve, but looks to be worth it.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=240044

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=278370

Steps I'll be doing.
Wash wheels with iron x to remove iron/brake dust particles that have embedded in the wheels. Rinse then wash with chemical guys diablo gel wheel cleaner
Wash car with chemical guys citrus wash and gloss at wax stripping strength (1 oz per gallon)
Rinse then iron x the body of the car. Rinse then use speedy prep towel (fine grade) and chemical guys speed wipe as lubricant instead of traditional clay.
Then polish using menzerna 2500 then 4500 wherever there are scratches and swirls. Use menzerna top inspection to make sure that scratches and swirls are removed.
Apply swissvax cleaning fluid.
Two coats of swissvax insignis v3.
Profit.

Last edited by hakaida; 02-24-2013 at 08:02 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Waxing Your Porsche