997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Waxing Your Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM
3POINT8 is infamous around these parts
Waxing Your Porsche

Step by step for best waxing results? Product reccommedations?

Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 PM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
I am a Zaino guy, I have used many other products and the Zaino to me is easy to use, great results, last longer than most, you can put layer over layer and the shine just keeps getting better. Go to the Zaino website to see the process, it is much easier than it appears, the product goes on and off very easy.

Best Results vary by the product you choose to use. I can tell you not enough folks Clay Bar their cars, it makes a tremendous difference IMO.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 PM
forbes210 is infamous around these parts
I'm using porsche cleaner and wax. In my opinion one of the best waxes on the market. Also application is fairly easy. You should give it a try. They are available at suncoast.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:17 PM
OCT
OCT is infamous around these parts
seems like clay is very important, I have used a lot different brand wax, but most likely meguair's is my most option.
honestly, they are all kind same to me...

Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Carnut12
I am a Zaino guy, I have used many other products and the Zaino to me is easy to use, great results, last longer than most, you can put layer over layer and the shine just keeps getting better. Go to the Zaino website to see the process, it is much easier than it appears, the product goes on and off very easy.

Best Results vary by the product you choose to use. I can tell you not enough folks Clay Bar their cars, it makes a tremendous difference IMO.
+1 for over 20 years I've tried almost everything else over the years always come back to Zaino

Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Used to spend big bucks on Zaino, etc until a wax test showed that a $3-4.00 wax that u could buy at PepBoys was the top winner. .

Go figure.

I now just buy meguiars.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 PM
Maturola is infamous around these parts
I use Best of Show from Griot's Garage

and

Turtlewax Black Detailer in between

Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 PM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
Recommend Adams, Pinnacle or Blackfire, claying first. Use a PC7424 or other orbital buffer. Much depends on the car color, severity of swirls, etc. do your homework, look on the detailing forum on the corvetterforum - excellent resource. The detailing forum here is good, but not great.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
If the guys on autogeek (detailing forum) saw this thread they would laugh at some of the bad choices of waxes recommended especially for people who can afford a porsche.

Fwiw I use zymol glasur, cg 5050, and cg celeste dettaglio for waxes. Sometimes I use a sealant before the wax and always use cg v7 quick detailer/spray sealant. The next wax I'll try is the porsche specific wax from swissvax called zuffenhausen or possibly their glacier or concours wax.

There is a difference between a $100+ wax and a 30 bucks and below wax. Go on any detailing forums for reviews and comparisons and you will see that all waxes are not the same.

Last edited by hakaida; 02-01-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Asking this questions is like asking what music people listen to in their cars...You will get a host of answers. In the end, you have to decide on your own what you like.

Turtle wax and Meguires are still in business after all these years by not making a bad product. Zaino and Zymol are more costly and may have better results. I went through probably every wax and polish under the sun between all my cars. Currently I have five I am maintaining.... As meticulous as I want to be, there is simply not enough time in the world for me to "make love" to the car as my wife calls it.

Right now I am on Griot's best of show wax and have been for a few years. Griot's allow you to add this wax into their car wash when you wash your car, so in between the wax sessions I feel good that a quick wash still maintains that wax protection. But that's me. I've tried other combinations and the wax and car washes just don't play together nice.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:37 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cab83_750
Used to spend big bucks on Zaino, etc until a wax test showed that a $3-4.00 wax that u could buy at PepBoys was the top winner. .

Go figure.

I now just buy meguiars.
Wax test? Was that a TV infomercial or an actual lab evaluation?

Zaino is not a wax. I've been using their products for almost 15 years. Great line-up of car care products that are super easy to use and provide excellent results.

+1 Zaino.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PTParks
Wax test? Was that a TV infomercial or an actual lab evaluation?

Zaino is not a wax. I've been using their products for almost 15 years. Great line-up of car care products that are super easy to use and provide excellent results.

+1 Zaino.
Exactly plus if you own a Porsche I do not find Zaino expensive at all, I actually find it very inexpensive. An 8 Oz bottle lasts a LONG time, you have to put it on really thin to get the best results.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Derek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these partsDerek is infamous around these parts
My 997 is a daily driver that gets parked outside. I don't have a lot of time so I'll have it clay bared once in a while and use Klasse it seems the most durable and is easy to use. I tried Zaino only lasted about 2 weeks with the sun and salty air

Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Maturola is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Carnut12
Exactly plus if you own a Porsche I do not find Zaino expensive at all, I actually find it very inexpensive. An 8 Oz bottle lasts a LONG time, you have to put it on really thin to get the best results.
I don't think at any point he said he wasn't able to afford it, all he said is that on his opinion (based on some "study" he saw/read/heard/etc) he believe that the $3 - $4 wax would do the same than the more expensive one. that's his car and his option, no reason to get all over him about what he buy or use just because he own a porsche.

Owning a porsche doesn't mean you have to waste money all around or yo have to pay the "Cool" or the "P-car" tax that some products and service add on just because "it is a porsche".

I had read and heard very similar things from people who know what they are doing, however my decision to go with Griot's garage products is based on my own experience, I like their products, they are price very reasonable and been using them for a long time.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
The most important step for the best results is to look at the paint first to determine what it needs (if anything) before waxing... Some need clay first, some need polish first,,,, Kinda hard to explain in a short post. Read thru some detailing posts and you ll begin to see what I am talking about. Doesn t do much good to wax a car that has swirls in the paint or a car that has debris on the paint etc...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Waxing Your Porsche