997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Look for Boston area maintenance garage / shop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Boatsonthebrain
One other potential option close to home is Little Foreign Car Garage in Waltham http://www.lfcg.com . They have been around for 30+ years and work on a lot of Porsches. I have a friend who used to have his 911SC serviced there and was happy with the work, though this was quite awhile ago. Don't know if they work on the 997, but might be worth a quick call.
They do seem to do mostly older cars. Might just give them a call to find out tho.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 AM
plantagenet is infamous around these parts
Out of interest what is Porsche dealer actually charging for this work?

Was 3000 USD the actual quote you received from them?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:14 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by plantagenet
Out of interest what is Porsche dealer actually charging for this work?

Was 3000 USD the actual quote you received from them?
Honestly I don't know. I had read online that it was around $3000 USD. I have a call into the dealership I have used for all the other things when it was still under warranty to find out. But my guess is if Stuttgart wan't $2300 for the job it wont be less than that. I will be sure to post once I find out.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Prime Porsche of Westood comes in at $2300 as well. 9 hours of labor at $120 and then the clutch kit. Don't think that includes tax.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 AM
plantagenet is infamous around these parts
Ok so that is starting to make that first quote you got seem like a good deal

Old 02-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
I wonder how much it would cost to go over the border to Connecticut, they have several well known shops with Great Reputations.

Musante Motorsports and Hairy Dog Garage are 2 of them, I would give them a call. If nothing else it will give you an idea of if the price in Natick is good.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Carnut12
I wonder how much it would cost to go over the border to Connecticut, they have several well known shops with Great Reputations.

Musante Motorsports and Hairy Dog Garage are 2 of them, I would give them a call. If nothing else it will give you an idea of if the price in Natick is good.
Thanks for the suggestions. Both look fantastic but I am a bit far away for them. Plus if I blow up my clutch on the way there I could be in far worse shape. Musante looks particularly good. If only I was in Hartford

Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM
The local shop who I had high hopes would come in cheap quoted me $2900. I said to him the dealership quoted $2300 and he said "do it". So it looks like EPE is the way to go. Just need to call to confirm prices and availability.

I do have a call into Musante Motorsports just to get another price point.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:51 PM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
I recommend EPE. They do excellent work and are very experienced.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by alpine-al
I recommend EPE. They do excellent work and are very experienced.

Thanks for the second recommendation on them. Good to know others think the same about their quality.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:15 AM
So I have chosen to go with EPE. They have the best price and really seem to know what they are doing. How could they not though, all they do is Porsche!

I will bring it in tomorrow and they said they should be able to get it back early next week.

I am also having them look at my brakes (which I was told would need to be replaced soon), what I recall is the 75,000 mile check in, a weird clunk from the front right strut that no one seems to be able to figure out, a parking brake issue...and anything else that annoys me that needs to be fixed. Hoping for a discount to do a bunch of work rather than spreading it out over time. But if the cost is too high I will just do the clutch for now.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
Funny but I don't think too much of EPE. They are not very accommodating in my opinion and experience. Would never go there agin. I have been taking both of my Porsches to Eurotech in Framingham for the last 7 years. Ask for Bill, it's his shop. VERY accommodating, straight shooter and does high quality work. It's a pure Porsche shop. best around

Matt

Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 AM
blown996 is infamous around these parts
I've been using Marc Feinstein at GPS in Brighton for a few years. Very knowledgable.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 AM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
Shop around or build a relationship

I've used Herb Chambers Porsche Boston when the car was still on warranty and then switched to EPE after my car was ~ 2 years old. EPE's reputation in the PCNA is excellent. The Herb Chambers team also did fine work.

I've used EPE since 2008 and have always been happy with the service. In my mind, the reason you want to use an independent is so you can develop a relationship with an individual or small group of top mechanics - something you can't do with the dealer or if you shop around for every service.

I deal with 3 mechanics at EPE; Jerry the owner, Bill and Matt. All have hands on experience with my car, seem very knowledgeable and I trust them. Jerry's the Chief DE instructor for the local chapter of the PCNA which highlights his skills. He's also classy enough to say good things about Eurotech which is right down the street in Framingham.

I've got a TPC turbo on my car and wanted them to give it a close look and regularly advise on maintenance and/or performance enhancements.

If you don't think you'll hold onto your car for a while, then maybe it's worth shopping around on every service, but if you're holding onto your car for a while then building a relationship seems very helpful.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:43 PM
kev_song is infamous around these partskev_song is infamous around these parts
Gloves, are you the black C2S Cab that I see from time to time on the road?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Look for Boston area maintenance garage / shop