997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Look for Boston area maintenance garage / shop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:38 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Look for Boston area maintenance garage / shop

Hi everyone,

It’s been a long time since I have been on here and I am hoping to get some guidance from some of the most knowledgeable crew I can think of.

My 2005 997 C2S is finally in need of a new clutch, or at least that is what I am thinking is the issue. The pedal has gone light and it sticks on the way out, as well clutch feel for the catch point is almost nonexistent. I have had the car since 50k miles and it’s got 73k on it now. No idea when it was replaced last and from what I read 25k miles is about what a clutch will get you.

So what I really need is recommendations of good independent shops around Boston. I would like what everyone wants, a shop that does a cheap, fast, and good job...but I know I won’t find that. So what I really want is a good shop that won’t charge me $1800+ or the dealerships outrageous $3000. I am on a tight budget and am struggling with the thought of the cost after putting $1000 into her recently for other issues.

Thanks for the support.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Boatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to all
I use European Performance Engineering (EPE) in Natick, as well as Herb Chambers Porsche in Boston if I need a dealer. Quite happy with both places - great to deal with, though pricey. A few ideas - you might give Auto Engineering in Lexington a call, as I know they have a Porsche-trained tech, and there's also Autobahn Performance in Peabody. Haven't used either but maybe someone else on the board can chime in. I've heard mixed reviews on Randolph Racing in Stoughton, but they have been around a long time and do work on all manner of Porsches. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Boatsonthebrain
I use European Performance Engineering (EPE) in Natick, as well as Herb Chambers Porsche in Boston if I need a dealer. Quite happy with both places - great to deal with, though pricey. A few ideas - you might give Auto Engineering in Lexington a call, as I know they have a Porsche-trained tech, and there's also Autobahn Performance in Peabody. Haven't used either but maybe someone else on the board can chime in. I've heard mixed reviews on Randolph Racing in Stoughton, but they have been around a long time and do work on all manner of Porsches. Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestions. I grew up in Ashland and know of European Performance Engineering but don't know anything about them or their reputation.

I used Herb Chambers when I first got the car (April 2010) and had 2 really bad maintenance experiences with them. I switched to Prime in Westwood and have been very happy. I have heard fantastic things about Porsche of Nashua but that is a bit to far.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 AM
DCI
DCI is infamous around these parts
Auto Engineering in Lexington would be a good option. Also what about Autosport Engineering in Stow, they have been around forever and I think have fair pricing.

Last edited by DCI; 02-12-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by DCI
Auto Engineering in Lexington would be a good option. Also what about Autosport Engineering in Stow, they have been around forever and I think have fair pricing.
Thank you. I will give them a call and see what they think for pricing.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:34 AM
I did just bring the car to Accel Automotive Inc in Waltham (right next door to Aston Martin of New England on their recommendation from when I stopped by months ago to look at Astons) and they confirmed the clutch has gone bad. They will let me know in the next day what the cost will be.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 AM
plantagenet is infamous around these parts
Hi I am planning on using these guys

Stuttgrat North East, Inc

507 Maple Street
Danvers, MA 01923-4003

I have been down and had a talk with the guys down at this place they have all the equipment to service 997. They are real enthusiasts for the marque. Guy has a wonderful old 911 he has restored to a wonderful state. Obviously not done a service with them yet as only just got car but they are taking it in soon to put number plate and give it all a quick check over.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by plantagenet

507 Maple Street
Danvers, MA 01923-4003

I have been down and had a talk with the guys down at this place they have all the equipment to service 997. They are real enthusiasts for the marque. Guy has a wonderful old 911 he has restored to a wonderful state. Obviously not done a service with them yet as only just got car but they are taking it in soon to put number plate and give it all a quick check over.
Thank you for the suggestion. They do look good as well. A bit far from Waltham but not too bad. I will give them a call and see if they can quote it.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM
I just heard back from European Performance Engineering in Natick. They have quoted $1000 for the clutch and then an additional $780 for the work. After tax if nothing else is wrong its about $1900. That's more than I was hoping to pay but will see what others quote me.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Boatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gloves
I just heard back from European Performance Engineering in Natick. They have quoted $1000 for the clutch and then an additional $780 for the work. After tax if nothing else is wrong its about $1900. That's more than I was hoping to pay but will see what others quote me.
FWIW, EPE has done a lot of work on my car (suspension, brakes, etc.) and their work has always been absolutely top notch. To my knowledge, they only service Porsches and Jerry Pelligrino, the owner, is very knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Boatsonthebrain
FWIW, EPE has done a lot of work on my car (suspension, brakes, etc.) and their work has always been absolutely top notch. To my knowledge, they only service Porsches and Jerry Pelligrino, the owner, is very knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.
Yeah I think Porsche is all they do. Their website looks good. And he clearly knew what he was talking about. I don't recall who I was speaking with though.

Unless some place else looks as good and is more than $100 cheaper I think they are a very good option.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 AM

507 Maple Street
Danvers, MA 01923-4003
Just talked to Stuttgart, they quoted $2,300. That's a lot of cash

Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 AM
plantagenet is infamous around these parts
It is indeed. Did you mention you had received a quote for a lot less?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM
One other potential option close to home is Little Foreign Car Garage in Waltham http://www.lfcg.com . They have been around for 30+ years and work on a lot of Porsches. I have a friend who used to have his 911SC serviced there and was happy with the work, though this was quite awhile ago. Don't know if they work on the 997, but might be worth a quick call.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM
It is indeed. Did you mention you had received a quote for a lot less?
European Performance Engineering in Natick quoted $1,900 for the clutch and labor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Look for Boston area maintenance garage / shop