997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Best Bang 4 my Buck Exhaust 997 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 04:43 PM
OCT
OCT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cerbomark
Gundo hack will make you happy... Price is cheap also. Do a search, there are even DIY s on doing it. It s never too loud and no annoying droning but is just enough to sound like a sports car. Now there are many more expensive options but it sounds from your post that this would work for you. I am 100% happy with it and will leave it alone as long as I own this car.
+1
Gundo is a must do mod if you don't want a big dent on your wallet.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM
smann79 is infamous around these parts
Gary, I had the same question 2 months ago and the fellow 6speeders convinced me to go gundo. I ordered it from Darin (be patient, he's really backed up). My shop just got the setup from Darin and they go on this week. Can't wait!
Also there was a mention of muffler bypass pipes, the 997.1 only has the 2 side mufflers so the bypass pipes only work on the 997.2

Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Anybody have the Gundo In the Baltimore area?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 PM
drummin4fun is infamous around these partsdrummin4fun is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by smann79
I ordered it from Darin (be patient, he's really backed up).
+1... Darin is absolutely busy as a three tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I believe it took about three months to get mine. My car is a DD, and I could not afford to have the mufflers off the car to ship them, so I had to wait till he got a return set and could fabricate them and ship to me. But I'll tell you that it was absolutely worth the wait.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Gary B has a spectacular aura aboutGary B has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by drummin4fun

+1... Darin is absolutely busy as a three tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I believe it took about three months to get mine. My car is a DD, and I could not afford to have the mufflers off the car to ship them, so I had to wait till he got a return set and could fabricate them and ship to me. But I'll tell you that it was absolutely worth the wait.
LOTS of great advice. I am going to look into the Gundo option. Tampa is FULL of great fab shops, I'll ask my fellow PCA members for a recommendation. I will add a Fabspeed Cold Air Intake to my list. With the Gundo and intake any need to do a ECU reset??? Thanks

Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 PM
drummin4fun is infamous around these partsdrummin4fun is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gary B
LOTS of great advice. I am going to look into the Gundo option. Tampa is FULL of great fab shops, I'll ask my fellow PCA members for a recommendation. I will add a Fabspeed Cold Air Intake to my list. With the Gundo and intake any need to do a ECU reset??? Thanks
For the Gundo, no. From everything I have read here, the ECU will adapt to the intake. I should caution you though, the Gundo hack is not designed to improve exhaust flow. It only creates more noise, so doing the Fabspeed intake may not yield the performance results you may be looking to gain.

It's one of those things where if you increase the flow at one end, you need to increase it at the other end as well to realize a difference.

Just my .02

Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 PM
firstmovado2013 is infamous around these partsfirstmovado2013 is infamous around these parts
Drumming4fun,

If you can afford a Porsche you can afford to do it right from the start. Many people people like Gundo Hack and many like their Sharkwerks, Tubi, or Fabspeed. Personally i went with Fabspeed Maxflow Mufflers and love the throaty sound. Its not too loud where you may get pull over i thinks its just right! I rarely listen to the radio instead like to drive with window down especially going through a tunnel or under a freeway!!!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Bullseye7 is infamous around these parts
We installed Fisters today and the car now sounds amazing! I was so nervous that the car would be too loud or sound off but everything worked out perfectly. Sounds about 10% louder at idle and 40% louder under acceleration. Low throaty rumble now whereas I felt it sounded a bit like a sewing machine before.

Darin at FD Motorsports is a top notch professional all the way and I gotta say was very helpful and patient with me during the 6 or so phone calls I made to him. Thanks Darin!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 PM
smann79 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bullseye7

Darin at FD Motorsports is a top notch professional all the way and I gotta say was very helpful and patient with me during the 6 or so phone calls I made to him. Thanks Darin!
Thank god I wasn't the only one bugging him. I'd call him every other week for an update. I even tried offering him extra cash!!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
....the 997.1 only has the 2 side mufflers so the bypass pipes only work on the 997.2
Incorrect. Side mufflers are side mufflers no matter what. If you check with Fister you'll see he offers a number of modified 997.1 Porsche cans. In fact, I talked to the shoppe once and they thought that since the 997.2's came with the center muffler not found on the 997.1's that their modification would not add that much tone the the exhaust note. I added AWE crossover pipes before the hack and they didn't add much to the exhaust note which leads me to believe the center muffler doesn't do much muffling. After the crossover pipes I went with the Gundo Hack. Not to worry, the hack works great.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:50 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Bullseye7
We installed Fisters today and the car now sounds amazing! I was so nervous that the car would be too loud or sound off but everything worked out perfectly. Sounds about 10% louder at idle and 40% louder under acceleration. Low throaty rumble now whereas I felt it sounded a bit like a sewing machine before.

Thank god I wasn't the only one bugging him. I'd call him every other week for an update. I even tried offering him extra cash!!
Darin is great. Only person who works on my car. Going to have him do braided brakes lines next then I'm looking at IDP and TB. Very easy to deal with loves PCars!!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:04 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by firstmovado2013
Drumming4fun,

If you can afford a Porsche you can afford to do it right from the start. Many people people like Gundo Hack and many like their Sharkwerks, Tubi, or Fabspeed. Personally i went with Fabspeed Maxflow Mufflers and love the throaty sound. Its not too loud where you may get pull over i thinks its just right! I rarely listen to the radio instead like to drive with window down especially going through a tunnel or under a freeway!!!
Ok, let me ask you something. How much SOTP improvement in HP or TQ did you gain? I'm sure it felt faster since you are now accelerating faster to hear the exhaust, but did that $$$$ you spent on your shiny new mufflers equate into an acceptable HP per Dollar spent? I'm betting that you gained maybe 8-10 HP on a good day. That works out to about (guesstimating) $150 per HP. Ouch!

I'm pretty sure we go after these realatively minor exhaust mods more for the improved sound than the HP. In the end we both ended up with great sounding exhausts. You just happen to spend 10X as much.

Buying a Porsche doesn't mean you now have to eat steak every night. Sometimes a greasy, juicy cheeseburger tastes just as good.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by firstmovado2013
Drumming4fun,

If you can afford a Porsche you can afford to do it right from the start.
Before I flame... I'd like to know precisely what you meant by that statement.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 AM
firstmovado2013 is infamous around these partsfirstmovado2013 is infamous around these parts
PTparks,
I dont dissagree with you at all! Like I mentioned some people like Gundo Hack and some like aftermarkets performance parts. I did the muffler mod for sound and not for HP gains. If I wanted power I would bought a GT3 or TT. I will never be able to enjoy the true potential of my Carrera due to the heavy traffic in LA so really don't need a fast car. Personally I don't like the Gundo Hack sound it produces and if I drive a Porsche I would not want to rig or hack anything because if I did I would of stuck with Hondas, Scions, or Acuras like the good o days!

Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 AM
Open mouth, insert foot. I'm getting a clear picture of you now. The Gundo is simply like having the sport exhaust button permanently on. All the sport exhaust does is open a flap to an exhaust bypass... which is exactly what the Gundo is. My car is not 'rice' as a result as you infer. And, as to your previous statement... if anyone here wants to pay more money than I did for their exhaust to sound louder, I have no problem with that. I didn't see the need to spend ten times the money for the same basic result. I fail to see how that means that I can't afford my car. Just because I CAN spend 5k on an exhaust system doesn't mean that I should.

While I appreciate that you own an opinion, I think that some time might be spent thinking about how you express said opinion before typing it for all to see.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Bang 4 my Buck Exhaust 997 C2S